Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

Had chrome has been crazy durable for me, but my sweat is mostly bacon fat and whiskey. It’s hardly corrosive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bacon fat and whiskey probably adds corrosion resistant properties to your sweat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Bacon fat and whiskey probably adds corrosion resistant properties to your sweat!
    So you should up your intake if carrying steel guns?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I carry my gun daily either appendix or in my duty rig, dry fire daily, wipe down my gun daily, with the monsoons I’ve been detail stripping it more lately.... It still rusts. I don’t wear an undershirt, maybe I should, but it’s uncomfortable to me.

I’ve also rusted a Glock 19, so maybe I’ve got “acidic” sweat. I sweat a decent amount, I carry a gun 100% of the time I’m out of the house, and I live in AZ so it’s hot, so maybe I’m just a bad combo for guns. Either way, I just ordered some gun grease to try to help. We’ll see.
    Name:  20180521_114949.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  22.1 KB

Do you smoke or drink alot of coffee? The above pic is a PX4 compact mag that was robar'd.. This mag was carried as a reload and it rubbed up against my body all the time, it took several months to get this way..I contacted Robar, and needless to say, they were suprised..Without wasting a boat load of bandwith I ended up getting a call from the inventor of Robar, and he explained what was going on. People who smoke, or drink alot of coffee, often have larger amounts of uhrich acid (sp?) in their bodys, combine this with your sweat, and it can get pretty caustic to steel. Myself, I don't seem to have any problems with rust on the pistols I carry but, rather the spare mags, I have to wipe them down just about every other day in the summer, or they start rusting..Winter, when the temps are much cooler and I don't sweat as much it's not a problem..

Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post

Do you smoke or drink alot of coffee? The above pic is a PX4 compact mag that was robar'd.. This mag was carried as a reload and it rubbed up against my body all the time, it took several months to get this way..I contacted Robar, and needless to say, they were suprised..Without wasting a boat load of bandwith I ended up getting a call from the inventor of Robar, and he explained what was going on. People who smoke, or drink alot of coffee, often have larger amounts of uhrich acid (sp?) in their bodys, combine this with your sweat, and it can get pretty caustic to steel. Myself, I don't seem to have any problems with rust on the pistols I carry but, rather the spare mags, I have to wipe them down just about every other day in the summer, or they start rusting..Winter, when the temps are much cooler and I don't sweat as much it's not a problem..
    Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 08-04-2019 at 05:01 PM.

I put 125 rounds through my Springfield last night. I hadn’t shot it in a few months. I forgot how much work a 45 caliber 1911 is to run well. At the same time I forgot how rewarding they could be when shot well. Shot the Glock 17.5 a little after that and it felt down right easy. Also easy to miss fast with.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I put 125 rounds through my Springfield last night. I hadn’t shot it in a few months. I forgot how much work a 45 caliber 1911 is to run well. At the same time I forgot how rewarding they could be when shot well. Shot the Glock 17.5 a little after that and it felt down right easy. Also easy to miss fast with.
    After a very very long striker fired sabbatical away from the 1911 that was my shocked reaction to upon working on a return to glory. But that initial perception faded as I got the hang of the feel and rhythm of the big steel.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post

Nope, no smoking, some coffee. Depending on if I’m on Keto, I mostly do the bacon and whiskey diet... I change it up with Jameson...

I don’t think I’ve got some crazy acid sweat, just need more protection on the gun. Lucas Extreme Duty has been helping. Got some grease coming in to try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    After a very very long striker fired sabbatical away from the 1911 that was my shocked reaction to upon working on a return to glory. But that initial perception faded as I got the hang of the feel and rhythm of the big steel.
    I ran a 1911 almost exclusively for a little over a year. Had to make a switch this summer for a little while. I was just really surprised at how quickly my skill with one diminished.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

A little late to this thread but since it started on my birthday, and I love 1911s, I give it a go.

I carry a 1911 almost exclusively. Primary summer carry is a Wilson Combat XTac Compact. Once the temps get cooler and the garments get a little looser, it goes to a full size Wilson Combat XTac.
    Three spare mags carried in the horizontal position.

There are pluses and minuses to the 1911. In the end, I shoot it better than any other platform and I have confidence in it.

I think the biggest question you have to answer if you carry a 1911: Are you willing to do the extra maintenance that you don't have to do for the plastics? ie, taking it out of the holster and lubing it every once and awhile.

I also think the 45 has a slight advantage over the 9...if you get a plastic in 45 they become chunky and harder to carry.

Had another causal match today, and I still love my Colt.
    It lets me suck at a higher level than my other pistols.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List