Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIFU: I rented an M9A3......

Nice write up.

I've known many former and current service members with nothing but bad things to say about the M9. (I was one of the former for nearly a quarter of a century.) Now, most of them are talking out of their ass because hardly any of them used a pistol during their service. But, they've got a DD214 so in modern society that's a certification for all things military. Once they shoot a commercial version of the gun, especially one that's been slicked up a bit, their opinion almost always changes. It still might not be for them, but they always wind up looking at it in a different light. My youngest son, who's currently serving, was never an M9 hater. However, the first time he came home on leave and shot one of my tricked out guns proved quite the eye opener.

If I was still on the job and had to supply my own duty weapon, I'd simply buy a black M9A3, then go forth and do God's work.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

If I was still on the job and had to supply my own duty weapon, I'd simply buy a black M9A3, then go forth and do God's work.
    I know you have a few Beretta's. What do like about the M9A3 over the other varieties. I think I recall you're a pretty big guy and hand size isn't an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I know you have a few Beretta's. What do like about the M9A3 over the other varieties. I think I recall you're a pretty big guy and hand size isn't an issue for you.
    You're correct, hand size isn't an issue and I prefer the standard frame size. With that in mind, I'd use the rubber grip adapter supplied with the M9A3. In addition to fitting my hand, the rubber would also help shield the frame from the dings and abrasion every duty gun faces. The M9A3 can be had with the three things I think really optimize the 92 design: night sights, a G lever and a D hammer spring. Everything else is a case of diminishing returns on the "nice to have" scale. Cool stuff, but not critical. I also consider an accessory rail mandatory on a duty gun, the M9A3 has one. With the M9A3, this can all be had in a package that's more affordable than one of the Wilson or Langdon guns. Nearly thirty years in LE work showed me that a fancy gun wasn't necessary, or even really desirable in a uniform patrol context. If Little Ray Ray and I wind up rolling around on the blacktop, or I have to damage my gun by burying it in the side of Tweaky Crackheads skull, better a stock M9A3 getting rashed up and bashed up than a higher end full boat Langdon gun. In terms of features vs. affordability with the 92 series, the M9A3 has everything one needs in a service weapon.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks.

TIFU. I must remember that...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List