Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB Ride Height

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think ride height is very much a matter of personal preference. I find in the position you describe that my fingers will scrape the belt in getting a grip. I tend to prefer higher ride heights in IWB holsters.
    Very much this. I loathe IWB holsters that set the grip so low that my knuckles hit the belt or compromise getting a proper grip before drawing. On the flip side, I detest super high ride OWB holsters because they tend to flop around and don't ride as tight to the body as an OWB that places the front strap about even with the top of the belt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Didn't specify, the gun is a standard P30. Thanks for all the info/suggestions! No, there isn't any cant. I'm not interested in leather, and have been looking at JMC IWB2 & 3, although the lead time is brutal, but normal for good holsters.

"Finding the sweet spot"...simple, but not easy.
    This guy is local to you. He did an OWB for my M&P40 and it's well made and had a relatively short wait. I have no experience with his IWBs.

I've got IWB#3s for my M&P45 full size and my PX4 full size. They're the best IWBs I've ever used. I had them made with the maximum cant and they conceal very well.

If you think JMCK's wait time is brutal, you've never ordered from one of the more prestigious leather firms.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Very much this. I loathe IWB holsters that set the grip so low that my knuckles hit the belt or compromise getting a proper grip before drawing. On the flip side, I detest super high ride OWB holsters because they tend to flop around and don't ride as tight to the body as an OWB that places the front strap about even with the top of the belt.
    Well, I did Gabe’s two day PSS class and TacCon ‘19, using this holster, so as far as the finger bite issue, it passed that test, as I don’t recall hitting my belt, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t come down some, and still not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    This guy is local to you. He did an OWB for my M&P40 and it's well made and had a relatively short wait. I have no experience with his IWBs.

I've got IWB#3s for my M&P45 full size and my PX4 full size. They're the best IWBs I've ever used. I had them made with the maximum cant and they conceal very well.

If you think JMCK's wait time is brutal, you've never ordered from one of the more prestigious leather firms.
    Luckily!

@revchuck38 thanks for the link to Silk holsters, looks like nice stuff.

Site Supporter
    I prefer about 10 degrees of cant with a ride height just high enough to allow room for my fingers between my belt and the grip. Ride height is directly proportional to printing when bending at the waist, so I prefer to keep the ride height as low as I reasonably can for good concealment.

I carry at 3:30 IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Finding that sweet spot where concealment is still adequate while avoiding scraping fingers and knuckle on the belt is the prize.
    I've swapped the mounting height around a few times on my holsters until I achieved a reasonable balance of concealment, good draw and happier knuckles.
    I think this is 100% right. With my Keepers AIWB, I found I have to use the bottom holes (hire ride height) to ensure I get a consistent grip on my draw and don't skin my knuckles in the process. With the higher holes (lower ride height), my knuckles get chewed up too much. Good to know I'm not nuts for not wanting to just "deal with it".

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    I think this is 100% right. With my Keepers AIWB, I found I have to use the bottom holes (hire ride height) to ensure I get a consistent grip on my draw and don't skin my knuckles in the process. With the higher holes (lower ride height), my knuckles get chewed up too much. Good to know I'm not nuts for not wanting to just "deal with it".
    I guess we're not quite the knuckle draggers some would label us.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacioli View Post
    I carry that same gun in a canted JMCK IWB3 with 1.5” clip. There’s no mounting plate so the holster slides in until the belt hits the inside top of the clip. Looking at it in the mirror just now it appears that mine has about half of the reveal from pant to grip that yours has. I have enough room to comfortably establish a proper firing grip but not much more.
    Would you mind sharing a few pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Would you mind sharing a few pics?
    Sauer Koch, an FYI for you, our IWB3 holster has about 5/8" to 3/4" of clearance (depending on cant and pistol) from the junction of the where the front strap and trigger guard meet to the top of the belt. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pacioli View Post
    Your belt is riding against the clip mounting plate, preventing the holster from going further into your pants. I haven’t seen the mounting plate design before and based on the picture, I don’t like it.
    I carry that same gun in a canted JMCK IWB3 with 1.5” clip. There’s no mounting plate so the holster slides in until the belt hits the inside top of the clip.
    It looks like there is room between the mounting plate and the clip for your pant and belt. That would give you a little better ride height.
    combined with the other stuff, it adds up.
    Name:  Why.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  16.2 KB
    Yeah, it looks like this extra height is actually designed in. Were there any height options when you bought it?
    As mentioned, probably get the right clip (or an alternative attachment method), and maybe consider longer screws and spacers to push the clip out so the belt can slide up over the mounting area and rest on the spacers. Thin slices of something like automotive fuel hose tubing can be an improvised option.

But yes, it does seem high, higher than I would like, because it is designed that way.

User Tag List