Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB Ride Height

IWB Ride Height

This is a Tier 1 Concealed, ASPIS holster. My question is about the height of the gun; it seems quite high, agree? Ideally, shouldn’t the area where the blue line is, be down lower, just above the top of the belt, with just enough room to get my three fingers around the grip? Or, is this simply an issue of personal preference, versus right or wrong? Does a lower riding holster contribute to more concealability?
    Their clip is for 1.5”-1.75”, but my belt (Wilderness) is a 1.5”, so there is a .25” of play there, which is contributing to the height.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 04-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Your situation is one of the reasons I don't use these clips on my holsters. If you look at the picture, about half the distance of the blue line is the gap between the the top of the belt and the top of the clip. This gap allows the extra space to exist, vs using a hard belt loop that encircles the belt and (when the belt and loop are sized the same) won't allow the gap to exist.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

There is actually a lot to unpack here, but the answer to all of your questions like many things holster related is probably "it depends."

I'm not a holster maker, but a long time holster wearer, so take what I say for whatever it's worth.

Prior to my sciatica pain I almost exclusively carried in a traditional IWB holster in the 4 o'clock position. For years my preference was a Government sized 1911 in a Milk Sparks Summer Special which rides fairly high. It did an excellent job of concealing the gun there, even wearing just a t-shirt and with an S&A magwell on the gun. I also would sometimes use a Milt Sparks VMII which is also an excellent design.

Later, when I moved over to Glock land, I tried the to carry G17 in a 5Shot IBS, which is basically a very similar design to the Summer Special and found with the thicker, but shorter, gun it just didn't work well for me. I then tried a CCC Looper with an FBI cant. It rode a little lower (similar to a Milt Sparks Summer Special II) and was perfect for me for some years.

After years of carrying a gun in that location, I can't even wear a S&W Shield there without having pain (makes me very sad), so anything on my belt line (including my duty belt) has to be 3 o'clock or forward on my right side.

Some thoughts:
    * Unless you are going for deep concealment make sure whatever holster you use rides high enough to allow for a good full grip on the gun
    * As the gun moves back from the 3 o'clock position you need to cant the gun appropriately so a holster needs to have at least 10 degrees of cant to conceal the grip and allow for a proper grips
    * Most clips suck, especially when carrying at 4 o'clock.
    * You want loops or a clip that are tight to your belt so the holster is solidly anchored. Looking at that picture is making me cringe. 1.5" loops for a 1.5" belt.
    * Every jackass and their cousin is making holsters these days...very few holsters actually work really well.

Carrying a gun in that position (4 o'clock) I would recommend looking long and hard at Milt Sparks and for a thicker gun like yours probably a VM-2 (Top Gun Supply usually keeps them in stock). They have been in business for decades and have a bit of a wait time for a reason. Their stuff is made with an incredible amount of thought and lasts damn near forever. If you must have kydex the JM Custom #3 would also be a good choice.
    Last edited by KevH; 04-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.

You can get a smaller clip, that should help get things lower.

Measure the hole spacing and I'll send a link, looks like Tier1 only has 1.75".
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I think ride height is very much a matter of personal preference. I find in the position you describe that my fingers will scrape the belt in getting a grip. I tend to prefer higher ride heights in IWB holsters. The Milt Sparks VM2 is just about perfect for me, but Sparks offers the Nexus for those who like lower riding holsters. Tony at JMCK also put together an IWB3 for me with extra ride height options beyond the norm.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-19-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

in general, as ride height increases, concealment decreases. Lots of factors, but that’s my general observation. I prefer a height that allows my hand to grip the gun without banging my knuckles on the belt.

Some holster models vary by the gun they fit. A Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 for a Glock 17 and 19 is perfect for me. My SS2 for a 226 sits in the holster box because it rides significantly lower than the same model for a Glock.

I also like the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and JMCK #3 for Glocks.
    Last edited by LSP552; 04-19-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    This is a Tier 1 Concealed, ASPIS holster. My question is about the height of the gun; it seems quite high, agree? Ideally, shouldn’t the area where the blue line is, be down lower, just above the top of the belt, with just enough room to get my three fingers around the grip? Or, is this simply an issue of personal preference, versus right or wrong? Does a lower riding holster contribute to more concealability?
    Their clip is for 1.5”-1.75”, but my belt (Wilderness) is a 1.5”, so there is a .25” of play there, which is contributing to the height.
    Your belt is riding against the clip mounting plate, preventing the holster from going further into your pants. I haven’t seen the mounting plate design before and based on the picture, I don’t like it. The oversize clip itself shouldn’t present a problem other than slack on the draw stroke. The problem I see with that ride height is that it makes establishing a grip more difficult because you have less working room between the shoulder pivot point and the gun.

I carry that same gun in a canted JMCK IWB3 with 1.5” clip. There’s no mounting plate so the holster slides in until the belt hits the inside top of the clip. Looking at it in the mirror just now it appears that mine has about half of the reveal from pant to grip that yours has. I have enough room to comfortably establish a proper firing grip but not much more.

My suggestion would be to see if you can acquire a 1.5” clip. It looks like there is room between the mounting plate and the clip for your pant and belt. That would give you a little better ride height. Also, your gun rides higher in the holster than mine. I can count two full serrations along the extractor on yours and only one on mine. It’s only a .25” but combined with the other stuff, it adds up.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    in general, as ride height increases, concealment decreases. Lots of factors, but that’s my general observation. I prefer a height that allows my hand to grip the gun without banging my knuckles on the belt.

Some holster models vary by the gun they fit. A Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 for a Glock 17 and 19 is perfect for me. My SS2 for a 226 sits in the holster box because it rides significantly lower than the same model for a Glock.
    Finding that sweet spot where concealment is still adequate while avoiding scraping fingers and knuckle on the belt is the prize.
    I've swapped the mounting height around a few times on my holsters until I achieved a reasonable balance of concealment, good draw and happier knuckles.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Does that holster have any cant? It looks like 0 degrees to me. 10 to 15 degrees of cant will help in concealment when carried at 3 to 4 o’clock. I’d also reverse my belt so the velcro is on the opposite side of the gun and switch to a 1.5” clip or loops.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Didn't specify, the gun is a standard P30. Thanks for all the info/suggestions! No, there isn't any cant. I'm not interested in leather, and have been looking at JMC IWB2 & 3, although the lead time is brutal, but normal for good holsters.

"Finding the sweet spot"...simple, but not easy.

User Tag List