Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Hours Shift Schedule Options

Our night shift schedule is four on, four off.

Our day shift schedule is 3 on, two off, two on, three off.

Both shifts are 11.5 hour shifts.

The day shift schedule is MUCH preferred by everyone since it allows you to have two weekends off a month.

By day four of the night shift rotation I am a walking Zombie. Im amazed that im able to actually make decisions and function. On the day's that I work I get about five hours of sleep if im lucky and then i take care of the pup, hit the gym and run whatever errands I need to run as well as take care of the house and cars. I have no clue how people have families with this schedule, none, zero, zilch. I commend them for working this schedule and somehow actually being a functional adult.

On my day's off I mostly maintain the same schedule although i try and tire myself out as best as possible so that I can go to sleep with my Fiance. Its hard and I find myself at best usually surfing the web or watching youtube videos until about two AM. If i force myself to get up i can function otherwise im sleeping from 2:00 AM until about 2 PM which sucks as I feel like my days off are mostly spent recuperating versus enjoying my time off. Im not unhappy with the schedule but i cant imagine maintaining this for my entire career. Im a little over three years in and 95% of the three years has been on this night shift schedule. I tip my hat to people that spend the majority of their careers working nights.

Having said all of this, I LOVE the night life and I've always been a night owl so its not too hard to psychologically stomach. The biggest concern that I have is the physiological side effects. There has GOT to be a better way. Im super interested in seeing how this thread pans out. The unfortunate side effect of this thread is that there may be some awesome idea's presented and my agency will NEVER change.

All Hail the .40 cal gods..... :P

Most of these shifts posted above seem like they took huge amounts of mental gymnastics to come up with.

We have 4 shifts, each with 6 deputies, a Corporal, and a Sergeant, plus an assigned investigator.
    We work 0600-1800 and 1800-0600. 4 days/4 off/4 nights/4 off, ad infinitum.
    Notwithstanding court or training, we know our shifts and days off though the year, and can extrapolate beyond.
    One would think that swapping days and nights like that would be difficult, but having 4 days off in between seems to mitigate that.
    No one gets stuck on a shitty schedule for a few months. Weekends and long weekends come around. Nearly everyone seems to like it. Some like nights better, some like days better, but everyone gets an equal share.

I've worked 5x8s, 4x10s, etc.....In 20 years, I've never had as much time at home with my family.

*We also have a transport division that works 8-5 M-F.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 05-10-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Its been a while so I can't remember the exact sequence but I worked a 4 month rotation
    Two months of days working three days straight and every other Sunday.
    Rotate to other part of week on days this gave you 7 days off straight through. Finish two months of days then rotate to nights.
    On nights when you rotated you worked seven days straight.
    This year you have two day rotations (4 months and another 4 months) and you get a total of two weeks off during rotations and one night rotation with seven days straight through.
    Next year you have two night rotations and you have two seven day periods you work straight through and one week off during day rotation.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Thanks for jogging my memory!

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Our 12-hour patrol shift is:

4 nights, 3 days off

3 days, 1 day off

3 nights, 3 days off

4 days, 7 days off

Then it starts over. It is generally well liked because of the 7 day break every month. It's rough switching back and forth between days and nights, though.

This schedule is done with 4 different patrol platoons.
    Now I am remembering from 30 plus years ago, but that is the schedule we eventually went to. Had a short 3 day weekend and 7 days off in each time period.......plus a day or two off here and there. We were working 8 hour shifts for 7 days before any time off. The shifts were 7-3, 3-11, and 11-7. Always enjoyed the 11-7 because of less traffic. We got tired of working 7 days before time off, so a committee was established and eventually offered a total of 3 schedules to vote on. Officers voted for the above schedule. We had 4 squads, so with 12-hour shifts basically two were working, two were off. For the most part the change was well received.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Our 12-hour patrol shift is:

4 nights, 3 days off

3 days, 1 day off

3 nights, 3 days off

4 days, 7 days off

Then it starts over. It is generally well liked because of the 7 day break every month. It's rough switching back and forth between days and nights, though.

This schedule is done with 4 different patrol platoons.
    I'm not a LEO but when I was a coal mine operations shift foreman this was our shift schedule sequence. Ours started on Thursday evening and ended on Wednesday day. Overall it was well-liked, especially compared to the old "man killer" 8 hour day, three shift, schedule with 4 hour overtime blocks.

User Tag List