Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis bans "warrior" training for Police

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    In the last election cycle one of the mayoral candidates in Minneapolis ran on disarming most officers. He said officers don't need to be armed at all times and the sidearm should replace carbines / shotguns in the cruiser.
    Of course he did, the candidate in question is a felon and former armed robber. Professional courtesy is still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    What an awesome autocorrect screwup.
    Name:  6B21380A-2B78-4C0D-9FD3-5FA8AD762EB4.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  43.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Of course he did, the candidate in question is a felon and former armed robber. Professional courtesy is still a thing.
    You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

I mean, I’ve seen enough of your posts to know you’re not, but still.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

I mean, I’ve seen enough of your posts to know you’re not, but still.
    Nope, I’m not.

https://alphanewsmn.com/candidate-fo...felony-charge/

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    It's amazing to me that the Noor trial has been going on this week and hardly any outlets are covering it. Go figure.
    I'm not. They reserved a seat for the NYT; eventually the Powerline Blog was allowed to occupy it. (Link goes to their category "Policing".)

This is weird:
    The prosecution also called Minneapolis police officer Richard Opitz. After roll call on the morning of July 16, he was ordered to the scene. At the scene Sergeant Barnette ordered him to take the Harrity/Noor squad car from which Noor had fired the gunshot to the carwash and have it cleaned. He took it to Dan’s Nicollet Carwash. He saw fingerprint powder on the squad car that was not entirely removed by the carwash. He drove the car back to the fifth precinct headquarters parking lot to be returned to service.
    Anyway. I wonder if the theory is that the reason Justine Damond was murdered by a MPLS cop was that he had too much "warrior training"? Think they'll decide shouldn't have hired a Somali refugee...?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I need a job. I may dye my hair, lie about my age, drive to Minn. shoot a big line of bullshit, and get hired on the police department in said city. Perhaps warrior training should be changed to conflict avoidance training teaching situational awareness so the officer can identify risks and retreat. That a citizen might be left hanging would be a statistical anomaly. Having never been to Minn and without researching the place, my unqualified opinion is that the cities may have different demographics than say Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. In these, if careless travelers take the wrong exit, they find themselves in high crime areas. Yet beat cops must daily work in these districts. Whereas I as an old man might be able to do a half ass job as a patrolman in Minneapolis if not required to leave my patrol car, I could not cut the mustard in a high crime district. Truth is that a young version of me would not have cut the mustard there either. I admit this fact. But back to the thread, I see no issue with training cops to be observant and identify threats by reading body language and such. The lesson should help build confidence and complement the many skills that interact to make a competent law enforcement officer. My opinion is that these skills would lower the probability of an unjustified shooting. Aren't these mostly caused by errors that better training might have prevented? So it seems that the term warrior is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Having never been to Minn and without researching the place, my unqualified opinion is that the cities may have different demographics than say Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. In these, if careless travelers take the wrong exit, they find themselves in high crime areas.
    Sorry to disappoint, but we've got that too. Granted, it's only a few areas, but they definitely exist.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    It's amazing to me that the Noor trial has been going on this week and hardly any outlets are covering it. Go figure.
    It's definitely been covered by the local NPR affiliate. I've been on a bit of an audiobook binge on the way too/from work for the last few days, but prior to that, I was hearing about it every day.

“...Harrity, who was driving, had the safety hood off his holster, ready to pull out his gun if needed....”

As I understand matters, one should not go waltzing about with a Safariland-type retention holster with the hood disengaged- is this not so for driving as well?

Article link-
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...mond-shooting/
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 04-20-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    What is considered warrior training?
    Didn’t one of the their officers who had been in a shooting recently attend a Caliber Press training?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List