Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tarantula Hawk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I witnessed one of these mass migrations in southwestern New Mexico many years ago. There were so many that it looked like dark water flowing across the highway.

It occurred on a very lightly traveled section of road and I think I was probably the first person to pass by, as all of the tarantulas I saw appeared to be completely healthy and untouched by passing vehicles.

I think if I had been unfortunate enough to have a flat tire around that time, I may have driven 50 miles on the rim. Creepy stuff!
    I would have died.

You guys gave me bad karma. Saw a dead tarantula today.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Some years back in southern NM, inspecting a motor pool full of old 5-tons before sending them off to DRMO (sad face - I *loved* M923's and M939's)...
    <thread drift>
    It's just funny to me to think of those as "old". My first job in the Army was as a driver of an M54A2 in the ammo section of an 8" SP howitzer battery. That was the multifuel version which was replaced by the M81X series which in turn was replaced by the ones you consider old.
    </thread drift>

Saw a Tarantula Hawk at the airport today, and gave it wide berth! Funny how you can so quickly go from oblivious to respectful.

The cone has been a dismal failure. Astro went on strike — wouldn’t eat, drink, go to the bathroom or smile. After 30 hours we pulled it and went to a boot, although we may cone again overnight.

Name:  08B59D92-D543-47C5-B7B0-1900EE7B4B69.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  100.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The cone has been a dismal failure. Astro went on strike — wouldn’t eat, drink, go to the bathroom or smile. After 30 hours we pulled it and went to a boot, although we may cone again overnight.
    Our beasts (basenjis) don't tolerate a cone well at all. It's such torture for them that we've found other solutions. The boot is a good idea. Have you tried bitter apple spray?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Have you tried bitter apple spray?
    Tried that previously, and she loved it — thought it was a treat!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Tarantula Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Paralyzed prey with larva gnawing away. Pure horror genre
    And they save the organs for dessert to keep them alive as long as possible.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 04-20-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Chuck Rogers
    www.RogersPrecision.com
    Cheap-Fast-Good............pick any two.

The inspiration for the xenomorph in "Alien".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

@pistolwrench are you sure you want to keep that pistol around now that a tarantula has crawled around it? If not, I can take it off your hands.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Somebody, explain why TF I clicked on this thread right before going to bed.

Geez now I’m going to have nachtmares.

User Tag List