Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Wrangler

Hammertime
    I see the enthusiasm for the single action Ruger .22s and that is a great price.

In my dad’s collection is a convertible 1976 Single Six. I have shot it a little, and, while it shoots great, I absolutely hate loading and especially unloading it. The ejection rod has difficulty finding the small .22 hole. It’s just a chore, so it hasn’t been fired much.

Is there something I am missing or some process for loading and unloading that I don’t understand with this gun? It is the only traditional single action loading gate revolver I have any expertise with.

Minnesota has a 'Saturday Night Special' ban:

""Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or
    (2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or
    (3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter."

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.712

Aluminum usually has a liquidus above 1000, although maybe some funky alloy doesn't.
    There are AL alloys that are less than 55ksi (I wonder if an AR pistol lower made from 6061 (45ksi), vs the normal 7075, is legal - ?)
    Solid steel is maybe 7.9 g/cc. 7.5 is marginal for MIM - some is above and some is under - although I doubt MIM would be used for 'frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock'.

Anyway, that's a guess.

FYI: I'm totally in for two of these.

One of my absolute favorite guns growing up was a Colt Frontier Scout in .22 Mag. Unfortunately for me, my dad traded it to a carpenter buddy in exchange for rebuilding the front stairs in my grandfather's house. That said, the Zamak frame on those things never inspired confidence, that's another reason I've never cared much for the Heritage guns.

ETA: Since it uses Single-Six grips, that should be a Single-Six (Vaquero) grip frame. Which means all the various versions you could want (Bisley, Birdshead, No. 5, etc) should fit. I can already envision a healthy little aftermarket here. How about a steel No. 5 grip frame with an octagonal barrel shroud?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I see the enthusiasm for the single action Ruger .22s and that is a great price.

In my dad’s collection is a convertible 1976 Single Six. I have shot it a little, and, while it shoots great, I absolutely hate loading and especially unloading it. The ejection rod has difficulty finding the small .22 hole. It’s just a chore, so it hasn’t been fired much.

Is there something I am missing or some process for loading and unloading that I don’t understand with this gun? It is the only traditional single action loading gate revolver I have any expertise with.
    Time and practice. Finess. Mine is newer than that, so I don’t know how much th elockwork changed, but it isn’t a big deal to pop empties out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ETA: Since it uses Single-Six grips, that should be a Single-Six (Vaquero) grip frame. Which means all the various versions you could want (Bisley, Birdshead, No. 5, etc) should fit. I can already envision a healthy little aftermarket here. How about a steel No. 5 grip frame with an octagonal barrel shroud?
    I had a similar idea regarding the Bisley, but it appears the SS Bisley grip frame attaches differently than the regular SS grip frame. Then there is the lack of Bisley hammer (supposedly the Wrangler hammer is not a regular SS hammer). Point being, it may not be a simple swap. Engaging a smith to do the work could end up costing you more than just buying the Bisley SS in the first place.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Adjustable sight + 10 round cylinder = future present for 2 year old grand son.

Get on it Ruger.
    There is a company making N-round cylinders for the SS up to 10 shots. I *think* all it takes to go to the 10 shot level was a new hand, which they sold as well.

If the Wrangler cylinder is the same dimensions as the SS, this should be a straightforward swap. Of course, by the time you buy the gun and cylinder, you *might* be able to find a Single-Ten for the same price.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Wow, Bearcat prices sure went up!

The new Ruger Wrangler looks like a bargain, and though I hate Cerakote as a firearms finish (way too fragile), maybe it'll quickly just get that "fake worn look" that seems to be popular nowadays.
    I suppose a stainless version would have upped the price too much.
    Interested in learning more about your experiences with Cerakote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Interested in learning more about your experiences with Cerakote.
    Only that 1911s I've had it on are susceptible to scratching and holster wear, especially at edges and at the muzzle.

I think gunsmiths like it because it's fast to apply, is within the capability of many smaller shops which wouldn't have hot-bluing tanks or the ability to apply industrial hard chrome, plus it comes in lots of different colors.
    I feel the same way about all the "paint" finishes, of which I've tried two others in decades past.

I prefer something more durable. YMMV.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    (supposedly the Wrangler hammer is not a regular SS hammer).
    Chris
    If you watch the Wrangler video on the Ruger site, it shows the side of the hammer and there's some kind of groove machined into it that doesn't appear on a Single Six Hammer. I think the only reason to buy this gun would be to use it as-is, with perhaps the exception of grips.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Only that 1911s I've had it on are susceptible to scratching and holster wear, especially at edges and at the muzzle.

I think gunsmiths like it because it's fast to apply, is within the capability of many smaller shops which wouldn't have hot-bluing tanks or the ability to apply industrial hard chrome, plus it comes in lots of different colors.
    I feel the same way about all the "paint" finishes, of which I've tried two others in decades past.

I prefer something more durable. YMMV.
    My main hunting rifle is finished with the finest Krylon I can buy at The Walmart. I looked into a cerakote finish, and quickly determined that it wouldn't hold that much advantage over just periodically freshening up my camo with the rattle can. I think it's a great finish for folks who trade their guns around like comic books, and want a novelty Hello Kitty Ar15 or some such, but for somebody who wants to use a gun hard for decades, it's a no-go.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If you watch the Wrangler video on the Ruger site, it shows the side of the hammer and there's some kind of groove machined into it that doesn't appear on a Single Six Hammer. I think the only reason to buy this gun would be to use it as-is, with perhaps the exception of grips.

My main hunting rifle is finished with the finest Krylon I can buy at The Walmart. I looked into a cerakote finish, and quickly determined that it wouldn't hold that much advantage over just periodically freshening up my camo with the rattle can. I think it's a great finish for folks who trade their guns around like comic books, and want a novelty Hello Kitty Ar15 or some such, but for somebody who wants to use a gun hard for decades, it's a no-go.
    Years ago I rattle canned my Noveske N4 for hunting. I did tape over the Noveske logo. I like the roughed up look it quickly adopts. It took a couple beers to work up to spraying that rifle.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List