Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spray painting speedloaders and other USPSA revolver preps

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    If you shoot outdoors in a part of the country where the leaves turn pretty colors in the fall, colors like red, orange, yellow, and even pink can get lost midst the foliage, especially in certain lighting conditions. So I go with the brightest blue spray paint I can find for all of my training mag baseplates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Blue seems like a good one

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thank you very much. I'll try to be more aware of keeping the muzzle straight down.

I reload and use the lee factory crimp die on all of them
    I’ve seen enough of your posts, weight training discipline, practice sessions, etc to hazard a guess that your crimp QC is probably about as good as the majors.

This might be the dumbest idea ever, but what about using two colors? Alternating wide stripes of hot pink and neon blue might make your loaders look like a baby shower in an LA strip mall, but they’d be hard to miss on ANY surface.

That, or switch to the polished stainless steel 5-star loaders...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I only use SL Variant and JetLoader brand speedloaders. No more gravity speedloaders for me. If you're going to buy Safarilands, Comp IIIs are the only choice.

If you can conceal a double stack 15 round magazine you can conceal a tall speedloader.

During your reloads, be careful. You can be DQ'd for breaking the 180 and if you go a little past straight down you break it. Ditto for covering yourself. When I first started I came close a couple of times. I quickly changed to a weak hand reload which is easier for me to keep the muzzle in the down range direction and I don't have to re-establish my strong hand grip. And I'll second BLUE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’ve seen enough of your posts, weight training discipline, practice sessions, etc to hazard a guess that your crimp QC is probably about as good as the majors.

This might be the dumbest idea ever, but what about using two colors? Alternating wide stripes of hot pink and neon blue might make your loaders look like a baby shower in an LA strip mall, but they’d be hard to miss on ANY surface.

That, or switch to the polished stainless steel 5-star loaders...
    Thank you

Yeah, I might keep the green and get some blue for a 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I only use SL Variant and JetLoader brand speedloaders. No more gravity speedloaders for me. If you're going to buy Safarilands, Comp IIIs are the only choice.

If you can conceal a double stack 15 round magazine you can conceal a tall speedloader.
    I should try at least one. I do sometimes carry 2 speed loaders in my front right pocket. One comp 3 should allow for a more consistent positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    During your reloads, be careful. You can be DQ'd for breaking the 180 and if you go a little past straight down you break it. Ditto for covering yourself. When I first started I came close a couple of times. I quickly changed to a weak hand reload which is easier for me to keep the muzzle in the down range direction and I don't have to re-establish my strong hand grip. And I'll second BLUE.
    Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I might try to slow myself down on this one and focus on everything besides speed.

Everything has to be perfect for a revolver speed load to go right. Good ammo that has been chamber checked, clean chambers, clean speed loader, and you have to hold your mouth just right.

I would worry about the paint getting inside the mechanism of the loader. I occasionally wash my speedloaders in dishwashing soap and I don't rinse them. The soap helps lube the loaders. I have a stainless chamber brush that I occasionally run through each chamber to keep the crud out. I use a clean burning powder to cut down on the crud.
    Do everything you can to make your reloads consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    and you have to hold your mouth just right...
    FnA right. Preach on, brother.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

On my Safariland Comp II Smith & Wesson K-Frame speedloaders the I use for my Ruger Security Six, I paint the Safariland logo white to ID/differentiate between my other Comp II speedloaders. A paint pen fills it in nicely and quickly.
    (Probably not what you had in mind with the thread, but I figured I'd throw it in)

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

User Tag List