Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up an early HK P7M8...

Picked up an early HK P7M8...

First year production, in fact...

I just love these things. The HK P7 Series handguns are some of the coolest firearms ever built, as far as I'm concerned. It could be the awesome looks, the great build quality, the unique design, the extremely low bore axis, or the pointability/accuracy. Of course, its more likely a combination of everything.

The P7 was designed in the late 1970‘s by Helmut Weldle. It’s primary purpose was to equip West German police with a 9x19 pistol to replace the much weaker 7.65 (32ACP) pistols that they were carrying at the time. This change had been prompted by the disaster at the 1972 Olympic games in Munich. As a result of the size and weight criteria established by West Germany, they adopted three different pistols (The Walther P5, the Sig P6 (P225), and the HK P7). While I own and enjoy multiples of all three of these German service guns, the P7 is certainly the class of the trio from a build quality and accuracy standpoint. The P5 and P6 are both solid, well built handguns, but the P7 is a cut above, in my book and the only one that's all steel.

The P7 is a blowback pistol, or more specifically a gas delayed blowback pistol. The gas from a fired round exits the barrel through a small port and into a chamber. The pressure from the gas dampens the reward motion of the slide during recoil. This is accomplished by way of a piston under the barrel that enters the pressurized chamber. Its a system that does a phenomenal job in making a small, blowback 9mm very pleasant to shoot. The drawback to this design is the tremendous heat that builds due to the hot gas being held in the gun. A rapid fire session with a P7 will have the gun sizzling in short order. Outwardly, the biggest design feature of the P7 is the unique cocking system, which renders the pistol completely safe unless its gripped firmly. While it takes a bit of time to get used to, many people who carry a P7 swear by it.

In 1984, HK introduced two brand new variants of the of original P7. They were the P7M8 and P7M13. Both of these pistols differed from the original design in a few distinct ways. First, the trigger guard was made larger to incorporate a heat shield for your trigger finger. This was due to the excess heat build up that I mentioned above. Second, the trigger itself was lengthened for better purchase, particularly for those with larger hands. Third and likely the most noticeable change was the new paddle magazine release located just behind the trigger guard. The original P7 had a heel release, as many of you may know. Other than that, there were a couple other minor alterations, bigger sights being one of them. In addition to these changes, the P7M13 also had a bigger and wider frame to accommodate an extra five rounds of 9x19 ammo. Despite all these updates, I still feel the plain old P7 is my favorite of the series. The M8 and M13 are more rare and certainly more valuable, but I think I prefer the slightly smaller dimensions of the original.

Sadly, due to a complicated design, high production costs, rising retail prices, and likewise sagging sales, the entire P7 series was discontinued about 10 years ago. The fact that the gunsmiths that built them were starting to retire certainly wasn’t helping their cause either. The P7 was in production for nearly 30 years (1979-2008), so it had a relatively long life. While the squeeze cocking design was a bit polarizing, few people could deny its great build quality and accuracy. Once the P7 Series was discontinued, HK was an all polymer pistol manufacturer. However, the P7 pistols have not been forgotten. The performance, quality, and relative rarity have sent prices soaring in recent years.

This latest addition is my third P7M8 and the second built during the first year of production. As you can see, age has turned the slide plum and the gun is is outstanding condition, other than a bit of high edge holster wear. No box or anything, but I got a great deal at $2100 OTD. With the rate at which these are climbing in value (especially Chantilly models), I didn't hesitate when I saw it in the case. The shop owner knocked a couple hundred off the price for me.

This early P7M8 differs slightly from my 2002 model. The original P7M8 (and P7M13) triggers were fat from front to back. The P7 trigger is steel, but covered in plastic to keep them cooler to the touch. I’m not really sure of the reason for the fat trigger cover. I guess HK wasn’t either because it only lasted a couple of years. These days collectors look for them just because it gives the pistol and added element of rarity. The early models also had the model name stamped on the left side of the slide, whereas the later examples did not.

I'm thrilled to add yet another of these great shooting and highly collectible 9mms to my collection.

Thanks for reading. Please enjoy the pictures and share your thoughts.

Here's my P7 family

P7M8 was my first...

A P7M8 was the first gun I purchased when I got my Concealed Weapon Permit back in the mid-80's.

I loved that pistol. It was super accurate, boringly reliable and easy to comfortably conceal in a Ted Blocker LFI rig. Walking around in my black H&K ball cap also gave me my first taste of being "Tacti-cool". I don't remember how much I paid for that first pistol, but I don't think it was much over $500 or $600 brand new.

Unfortunately, I also soon started entertaining the thought that more rounds on board, or a cool High Power or one of those new Glocks or a .40 was what I needed to take the next step as a gun guy. All these years and so many pistols bought, sold and traded later, I really miss my P7, but most days I'm able to be content with my G19 Gen4, of course until I read about someone's new purchase on Pistol-Forum...

That’s awesome.

They are fun to shoot, that’s for sure.

Not for me, but I appreciate the Engineering and design that went into them, 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bac1023,

It's like you are leading me down a tragic path of pistols I wish I had not sold. ! Though I liked the P210-6 way more the HK was a great gun. W. German, like new in box with all the paperwork and target, along with several additional magazines. Sold it 5-7 years later along with a Milt Sparks holster and Mag pouch set.

Someone I worked with got a great deal, I made good $$.

Nice post and pics, bac1023;

The P7M8 was also the first pistol I ever purchased, back in '85, after careful inquiry into information about actions, calibers and designs, and consideration of safety features (my kids were little then).

I still have it. It looks identical to the pics you posted, except that I had it hard-chromed during its first year.

It has never had a malfunction of any kind, at any time; no failures to feed, fire or extract, or anything else.

It has never had a parts breakage of any kind.

It's been assiduously cared for, including cleaning after every firing session, and with particular attention paid to the gas piston chamber and gas piston, but it's not been babied. It's been carried, dropped and used in training courses.

It's been through uncounted tens of thousands of factory FMJ and JHP rounds (no reloads), including a fair fraction of that in +P and +P+.

I never even began replacing the recoil spring or magazine springs (with Wolff products) till I'd had it for about 15 years, and only started doing so then, every few years, because it occurred to me that I probably should. (And I still have the original springs.)

IMO, its best attributes, apart from reliability, are extreme precision and accuracy.
    For fun, I used to cut the 3" bullseye out of a target with it at 8 yards by slowly circumferentially shooting the outer margin of the bullseye, clockwise, till it fell out onto the range floor whole, with no other marks on the target. (Can't do that anymore; hands not steady enough, vision not sharp enough.)

Its drawbacks are its low capacity, weight (heavy for capacity) and the heat collection which quickly occurs in the vicinity of the trigger (where the gas piston chamber lies directly above the trigger finger), and in training when shooting long or frequent strings, I've actually had the skin slough off my third (middle finger) from being burned by the triggerguard.

Mine stays mostly in the safe nowadays.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Back when I could afford one of the old German surplus P7's, I couldn't afford one.
    Still really can't now, either.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I got mine.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have shot my police trade M13 twice. I will say, that gun shines in single stack form. The M13 is a chunky monkey. Mags are a PITA to find, too. I really like the guns. It is my FAVORITE gun as far as being an engineering marvel. It isn’t really my favorite shooter due to heat (I got burned by my 2 P7 PSP’s many times. Many range session were elongated waiting for them to cool, lol). I am always tempted when I see one, though. And I NEVER turn down the chance to shoot one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was issued and carried a P7M8 for almost 18 years. It flawlessly fired thousands of rounds of full power JHP duty ammo over its lifetime. Ball/range ammo was not used for training or qualification. Towards the end of the P7M8’s service life the ones with high round counts started having reliability issues due to gas erosion of the piston/cylinder. Some were rebuilt. Some were deadlined. Availability of parts and springs became an issue. Also the lanyard loop on the butt of the frame was susceptible to breakage if dropped. All in all a great weapon. Too bad H&K stopped making them.

Oh man, this post is going to make me dig mine out of the safe and shoot it.

It’s an amazing pistol. I remember years ago competing with it in a 9mm bowling pin event and winning. Next table over was @Mas with his 6” barreled, Magnaported Beretta 92 with a 20 round magazine.
    Last edited by Norville; 04-18-2019 at 09:03 AM.

User Tag List