Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Denver Schools Close Due to 'Columbine-obsessed' Woman

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For real.

This thread would be awash with criticism for the FBI failing to act on "someone known to them" and the school administrators having prioritized other matters over student safety, because we all know that school teachers are leeches on the system and could care less about the students safety and didn't want to cut a day into their summer if they closed school.

As always, everyone else is right except the people actually involved, with the full information set, and making decisions based off of such.
    I used to have a neutral view on schools and teachers before I joined the profession. They are not in it for the money, trust me. The vast majority of them do it because they love teaching and love the kids. If the district chose to close based off putting students first, especially their lives, I cannot believe anyone would have an issue with that. Glad she was found and business can return to normal.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    The lesson being sent is clear: one shotgun did all this.
    I think that's short-sighted. For all anyone knew, she could have used the gun she bought to steal a car, and then driven that car down a sidewalk filled with kids waiting to get picked up by their parents. Thankfully, she evidently wasn't that creative.

The more I think about this, the more I think closing schools was the most straightforward solution to a myriad of potential problems, of which an immediate threat to children was only a subset.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Also, not sure when it became standard for men and women everywhere to not take an active effort in maintaining their skin health. A bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bag of cotton balls is 3 bucks at CVS. Take a shower, and use some alcohol and a cotton ball on that acne. Acne is primarily caused by clogged pores and bacteria and alcohol lyses the bacteria cells and is great at degreasing.
    I don't think that's accurate. There's a lot of kids/teenagers and young adults with horrific acne who do everything they can to eliminate it. As a teen, I was one of them, and I had close family members who had it much worse than I did. It's not linked to hygiene, it's really awful stuff, and it's linked to depression and suicide for pretty obvious reasons (inferring a hygiene problem probably doesn't help).

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...-study-finds#1

But I'll stop there, because this isn't personalhygieneforum.com.

I think they made the right call issuing the BOLO (more people looking out for her) and closing the schools (less targets of opportunity.)

Sounds like the cops were tipped off by a guy who drove her out to the forest. It's too bad she couldn't have been stopped before she killed herself (not anyone's fault they didn't), but I'm glad she didn't hurt anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So I am looking at it from the position of the person who made that decision for the schools. If they had credible evidence from the FBI, there choice was rely on resource officers or increased police presence to stop the threat with the risk of a student and officers getting hurt or missing one day of instruction. They chose to miss the one day and complete get rid of the risk of losing a student. Imagine if she did attack a school and got the drop on the SRO and killed students and it came out that they had credible evidence of a threat before hand and it matched her. Damned if you, damned if you dont.
    I agree, that given the choices they have available (that I am aware of) they chose correctly. Err on the side of caution when it comes to the safety of children isn’t a bad idea. EVER.

The whole matter is bizarre for a number of reasons.

First, the displayed pictures. To me the two pictures of her face do not look like that of the same person, and neither looks like a teenager.

From what I have read, it sounds like the totality of the situation and bits and pieces of information about the person drawn from different sources, including her website, combined with her actions made law enforcement agencies concerned. It kinda reads like all of the facts that we found out about the Parkland shooter after the shooting and wondered why the hell didn't anyone do anything sooner--like the police and FBI had numerous warnings and complaints about the shooter regarding statements he made as well as his posts on social media.

I don't think we have much of the information about her that led the police to this conclusion. She posted things on a website, including drawings that would suggest a disturbed person. She also posted questions on some unnamed gun forum about a Florida resident buying a shotgun in Colorado.

She then "booked three one-way, Denver-bound flights for successive days, then boarded the first, which was on Monday, officials said."

Upon arrival, She used a ride-sharing app to get around and went directly to a store to buy a pump-action shotgun and ammunition.

She later used a ride-share vehicle to drop her off on Monday near the Jefferson County foothills outside of Denver, officials said. They used info from the ride share to track her to her last location and found her body.

I imagine some people warned various authorities about her. They then probably heard about her obsession with Columbine and other things that would make them concerned, read her website, and noted her flying to Denver and then concluded that there was a risk.

Below is a link to a good summary of her activities and includes some of her writings and drawings which definitely look disturbed. Much of it is scanned writings and drawing from notebook paper. I can't read her handwriting well, and what little of it I did read does not seem worth the time or effort. I found this link on the NY Post website

https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/sol-pais/

From the above website I was able to find a link to here online journal, which I imagine will soon be taken down: https://dissolvedgirl.neocities.org/journal.html

And here is her general website, which looks like it was written in an HTML style out of the early 1990s: https://dissolvedgirl.neocities.org/
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-18-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    She looks(ed) like one of my 37-year old colleagues.

But then, she came from Florida? The number of Florida girls I've seen who are 30, but look 50 is disturbing. Apparently sun-screen hasn't made it to the Sunshine State yet, but vape pens and meth sure have.

Also, not sure when it became standard for men and women everywhere to not take an active effort in maintaining their skin health. A bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bag of cotton balls is 3 bucks at CVS. Take a shower, and use some alcohol and a cotton ball on that acne. Acne is primarily caused by clogged pores and bacteria and alcohol lyses the bacteria cells and is great at degreasing.

Point being, there is no reason to be 18 going on 40.

Hell, there is no reason to be 35 going on 40. If I shaved off my beard right now, I'd be a baby-faced 23-year old, instead of the sensual beard-having 33-year old I am.
    Don’t worry, you’ve got 33 going on a crotchedy 63 down to an art form already.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Don’t worry, you’ve got 33 going on a crotchedy 63 down to an art form already.
    Excellent. It’s working.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-18-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Given the attention this intended copycat has received, I’m pondering the likelihood a few more might come out to mark the 20th anniversary of the Columbine shooting.

As for the reaction of a perceived credible threat, can’t say I blame the admins for their decisions. Chance hit the nail on the head with how things would’ve played out had schools stayed in session while they hunted this woman.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    How do you fly from FL and buy a shotgun in CO?
    It's perfectly legal to cross state lines and buy a long gun cash-and-carry. Only handguns have to be transferred.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It's perfectly legal to cross state lines and buy a long gun cash-and-carry. Only handguns have to be transferred.
    Just learned that yesterday, in fact. I guess because I'm so much more into handguns that it just never came up that I was out of state and wanted to buy a long gun.

User Tag List