Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New GP-100 model: 3" adj. sight 7 x .357

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I hadn't seen a 3" with adjustable sights until the .44 Special came along.
    I believe it was Model 1709.

Site Supporter
    Very nice! I hope these catch on enough for someone to make speedloaders for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    My understanding is the issue with the 7 shot cylinder involves the diameter of the rims of certain brands, if that’s the case I don’t see how they can fix it. Of course the other issue is lack of speed loaders, I believe the Speed Beez (and speed strips) are your only option.

ETA Chuck posted while I was typing on my phone!
    I just saw this thread, so I'll add some comments as a 7 shot GP100 owner who hangs around the Ruger DA Revolver forum. I've had one of the early ones for over a year now. It has the rim fussiness that you refer to. Ruger cut things a little too fine when they spaced the chambers in the cylinder. The SAAMI specs for .357 case rims are: minimum .430; maximum .440. The top half of the range, .436 to .440, won't work in the early 7 shots. There's not enough space for the rims, and if you force them into place, they wedge and you have to pound the extractor rod to get them out, even without firing. Rims under .435 are trouble free. I've kept my gun because I don't have a problem with only feeding it cases that work. However, many buyers wanted to be able to go in a store and buy whatever ammo was cheapest/available without worrying if it would fit in their gun. A lot of them called customer service, and ended up swapping their 7 shot for a 6 shot. Ruger apparently tried a couple tweaks last year that didn't work. In December, a Ruger forum poster said he was told by a Ruger rep that the new production guns would be fixed. Since then there have been roughly half a dozen posters who report buying new production 7 shots with no rim problems. Not a large enough sample size to be dogmatic, but enough to cause optimism. Two buyers posted measurements of the new cylinders, and it appears Ruger slightly increased the outside cylinder diameter, and moved the chambers slightly outward in the cylinder to gain rim space.
    Speedloaders - HKS model 687 has been on the market for years for the S&W and Taurus 7 shots. I've been using it for over a year in my early 7 shot GP100, and it works perfectly. In fact, because the chambers are closer together, it works slicker than any of my 6 shot speedloaders.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Good Lord Ruger revolvers are f-ing ugly
    ^^^^ Violent agreement.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The grips are nifty. I assume they'll fit on any GP.

I think they'd look really nice on my 3" 44 SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Well...it’s quoted as a “Collector Must Have” so....
    Yeah. They burned that bridge with collectors after they continued to produce the “limited edition” Wiley Clapp for many thousands of units past the original run.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

They did the same with the Bisley Flattop 44spl's and many of the other Lipsey's specials that began as small runs and became cataloged items. Ruger will continue to make anything that sells--and that's a good thing. I prefer a company that exists to serve shooters rather than collectors. One thing I have noticed, however, the guns that are initially made as limited runs tend--and it is only a tendency--to exhibit higher fit and finish than the same guns made when the model becomes a standard cataloged item. So there still may be some incentive to get in on the ground floor of these "limited" runs.

User Tag List