Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New GP-100 model: 3" adj. sight 7 x .357

Sharps54, you're absolutely correct-my understanding is that historically the top-breaks have not been as durable over time, and have been restricted to lower-pressure cartridges. My thought is that with suitable upgraded steels and (re)designing, with modern production techniques they might be viable, and viable for higher-pressure cartridges, such a .347 magnum/10mm, and .41 and/or .44 magnum. The British Webleys in .455 had a pretty good reputation, but I believe that they were fairly complex to manufacture and limited to .455-and I have no idea how heavily they were customarily shot, or what their forecasted lifespan was.

I would think that out of the current major manufacturers, Ruger would have the greatest wherewithal and inclination to proceed down this path.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Site Supporter
    Webleys also were made in 38 S&W. These weapons were considered robust. At one time High Standard once hinted about making a top break revolver. In this market and with the decline of revolver interest, I can't see how such would fly. Further, I'm not sure that the design could handle high pressure calibers unless the guns were very large.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Webleys also were made in 38 S&W. These weapons were considered robust. At one time High Standard once hinted about making a top break revolver. In this market and with the decline of revolver interest, I can't see how such would fly. Further, I'm not sure that the design could handle high pressure calibers unless the guns were very large.
    I’m pretty sure I saw an 80’s action movie with Gary Busey where he used a .38 Webley...

TBH I’m not sure they need to take high pressure rounds, with modern bullet design you could probably make a lower pressure round expand AND meet FBI penetration standards. My big concern would be wear on the hinge as it is repeatedly slammed during speed reloads. I do agree with Jon that there is a potential market for these if they were durable enough.

Site Supporter
    Even the strong Webleys would not hold up with slamming shut during fast reload type practice such as might be conducted today. When I was young, these guns were $15 at gun shows and often were seen in baskets. That translates to about $100 in today's money.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    @JonInWA i’ll admit ignorance regarding top break revolvers but does the mechanism loosen up faster than a side swinging cylinder? It seems the speed loading method advocated by @Mas in this old article would be pretty tough on the revolver...

https://americanhandgunner.com/disco...s-takes-skill/
    The London Met's Webleys apparently held up to it OK. If an updated version with hot loads was made, I'd worry about their loading technique, since they held the gun by the barrel to reload. I presume the barrels didn't heat up much with those low pressure rounds. Many years ago I shot a cowboy match that had a "five-reload-five" stage that had to be done with a single revolver. I chose my old S&W #3 single action, chambered for .38/44 -- not the high pressure load from circa 1930, but a gallery target cartridge of the 19th Century comparable to today's .38 S&W loads, which is what I shot in it. I used the London Met technique and won the stage, loading out of belt loops, and don't recall the barrel being particularly hot. But, it was a low round count event.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Well...it’s quoted as a “Collector Must Have” so....

I wasn’t aware of Ruger posting special additions. How do you go about looking this up? Is it their regular webpage?

I still am kicking myself over missing out on the blued .44spl 5” full lug GP100s. Available fundage was lacking at the time. Now they’re no longer offered....
    Jon posted the link earlier: https://ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html
    The 5" .44 is there. And shows available here:
    https://www.gearfire.com/ruger/catal...c=736676017706

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Funny how the pictures on that page don't show the left side of the gun....
    Yes. The soul-leaking hole mars an otherwise nice looking piece.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I’ve been looking for the six shot 3” .357 SS GP100 with adj sights for awhile. Maybe I should look for the 5”

I hadn't seen a 3" with adjustable sights until the .44 Special came along.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    My understanding is the issue with the 7 shot cylinder involves the diameter of the rims of certain brands, if that’s the case I don’t see how they can fix it. Of course the other issue is lack of speed loaders, I believe the Speed Beez (and speed strips) are your only option.

ETA Chuck posted while I was typing on my phone!
    I did a good bit of reading about the rim lock issue. Seems to be relatively substantiated. I was really hunting the 7 shot / 3" until I read it. I hope they get it ironed out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Good Lord Ruger revolvers are f-ing ugly

User Tag List