Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New GP-100 model: 3" adj. sight 7 x .357

New GP-100 model: 3" adj. sight 7 x .357

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1782.html

I think I'm in lust!

It apparently pays to peruse company websites, because sometimes new models drop with little fanfare.

Ruger's 3" GP100s were all fixed sighted until the .44 Special, and I don't see what the 2.5" version gives me, performance-wise, over my 2.25" SP101.

A co-worker just got this S&W:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-magnum-series
    ...but I gravitate to Ruger's offerings.

I think these are the perfect packing size wheelguns.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I was wondering where the GP100 WC went. Then I wished I could find a 7 shot version of a unicorn.

Then this! We wantsees preshus.

I'm dashing this off real quick so I can't send you links, but I would suggest doing some googling on the 7 shot GP100 models. There's some internet chatter, including some YouTube videos that certain brands of ammo are on the large side of the specs when it comes to the rim, and you can't actually get all 7 rounds in the gun.

I'm not sure if this has been resolved, or how big an issue it is. I looked into it last fall when I bought my GP100 and haven't really kept track of it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I own both the 3” GP100 Wiley Clapp and the S&W 686+ PC snub. The GP100 is my favorite, hands down.

-My GP100 has a far superior trigger, once broken in.
    -PC required a return trip to Springfield for cylinder binding and deformed ratchet teeth, within the first few hundred rounds.
    -Better sights (picture and quality) on the GP100. The PC’s rear sight blade wobbles when touched.

If Ruger has fixed the issues with the 7-round cylinder, I’ll be all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm dashing this off real quick so I can't send you links, but I would suggest doing some googling on the 7 shot GP100 models. There's some internet chatter, including some YouTube videos that certain brands of ammo are on the large side of the specs when it comes to the rim, and you can't actually get all 7 rounds in the gun.

I'm not sure if this has been resolved, or how big an issue it is. I looked into it last fall when I bought my GP100 and haven't really kept track of it.
    I do recall that. Also, there is likely a dearth of 7-shot speedloaders out there for these.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    My understanding is the issue with the 7 shot cylinder involves the diameter of the rims of certain brands, if that’s the case I don’t see how they can fix it. Of course the other issue is lack of speed loaders, I believe the Speed Beez (and speed strips) are your only option.

ETA Chuck posted while I was typing on my phone!
    Last edited by sharps54; 04-17-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Well...it’s quoted as a “Collector Must Have” so....

I wasn’t aware of Ruger posting special additions. How do you go about looking this up? Is it their regular webpage?

I still am kicking myself over missing out on the blued .44spl 5” full lug GP100s. Available fundage was lacking at the time. Now they’re no longer offered....

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Well...it’s quoted as a “Collector Must Have” so....

I wasn’t aware of Ruger posting special additions. How do you go about looking this up? Is it their regular webpage?

I still am kicking myself over missing out on the blued .44spl 5” full lug GP100s. Available fundage was lacking at the time. Now they’re no longer offered....
    Ruger's pretty good about keeping their product website offerings current; it is there, at the very bottom of the GP100 standard listings, just scroll down: https://ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

While I've never felt undergunned with the 6 round capacity of a revolver, 7 rounds takes things into, well, base 1911 territory. However, the key underlying issue is the greater dexterity and actions necessary to accomplish expended cartridge ejection and reloading-particularly reloading.

The 3" barreled GP100 is an excellent platform. I'm hoping the cartridge dimensional issues others mentioned will be, if it hasn't already been resolved by Ruger. Fairly recently, Ruger previously had a limited edition release of an adjustable sight 3" GP100, albeit with 6 round capacity.

I'm also somewhat surprised that Ruger hasn't come up with an updated/strengthened version(s) of, say, the Webley Mk IV and V break-top revolvers; my thoughts are with modern strengthened steel alloys and a simplified reloading process there would be a viable market out there-especially for a stainless steel variant. Ruger historically has been noted for re-examining and revitalizing older firearms concepts with an infusion of redesign and modern steels and manufacturing techniques. I'm hoping we see more of this in their revolver line-up, but the offerings of the past several years have been impressive.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    @JonInWA i’ll admit ignorance regarding top break revolvers but does the mechanism loosen up faster than a side swinging cylinder? It seems the speed loading method advocated by @Mas in this old article would be pretty tough on the revolver...

https://americanhandgunner.com/disco...s-takes-skill/

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Funny how the pictures on that page don't show the left side of the gun....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List