Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: a step back - Glock Gen 3

My perfect Glock would be a RTF2 with Gills but a Gen4 mag release. For the next couple weeks before I move to a Beretta 92A1, I’m carrying my G22 RTF2 at work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
    I've been carrying and qualifying with Glock pistols since 1996, started life with a G-17/19/26 Gen3. Transitioned to the G-22/23/27 Gen3 in 2003, then had the opportunity in 2012 to switch back to the G-17/19/26 in Gen4.

In 2018-19 I test drove the Gen5 G-19/45/43X. The Gen5 is a good firearm, reliable, accurate, but there are many changes to the Glock platform that I wasn't looking for or felt that I needed (YMMV).

So back in January I shot a LEO friends Gen3 G-19, call it nostalgia, but I forgot how nice the Gen3 shot and felt in my hand. So I sold all of my Gen4/5 autos and bought two new G-19/26 Gen3's, I've come full circle. The Gen3's that I bought were headed for CA and the price was lower than the newer Glock offerings.

I forgot how much I like the simplicity of the Gen3 Glocks (finger-groves, single-captive recoil spring, small mag release, flat dull finish on the slide, no flared mag-well, no back-straps, single slide stop, no beveled front of the slide, no RTF on the grip, and all). I am wondering if there is anyone else that has "gone back" to the Gen3 too...

That’s nice if the finger grooves fit your hands and the slide doesn’t draw blood. You do you boo-boo.

Regardless of all the newer bells and whistles the latest generations have it is still hard to beat that "feels good in the hand" experience. If you find one that fits, you should keep it running.

Until the Gen 5s came along with the reports of substantially better accuracy, I never felt any desire at all to switch from the Gen 3s.

I started shooting Glocks when the first G21s hit the market, and shot the piss out of the one I had. I only "upgraded" to a Gen 3 G21 when they hit the market, due to the fact that it was a duty gun and I wanted a light on my gun, since I worked at night a lot.

On the topic of the 9mms, if starting over, I would get a Gen 5, but I cannot justify it right now, as my Gen 3s shoot great, and since I really don't shoot competition anymore, the juice is simply not worth the squeeze. I have too many other priorities financially speaking. A house full of little girls and Henry the Happy Hound take a precedence over upgrading to yet another generation of Perfection.

Besides, I seem to do OK with my plastic bunny, bad guy, badger blaster!

Slight thread drift, but the .45 caliber Gen 3s that I have shot/owned have been great in the accuracy department. The G21 and G30s are probably the most accurate Glock models I have ever shot.

** The unluckiest Jack ever..

Old story and I am sure I have told it here before but it demonstrates the G21s accuracy potential (to a degree).

Coming back from a coyote hunting set, , while standing next to the pickup, we see the jack a good ways away from the truck standing motionless looking at us.

I told my buddy "I am going to shoot that Jack in the head." I used my G21 and plunk a 230 grain round right into the Jacks head. Totally luck shot. I walked out there with my laser rangefinder and laser back to the truck.

63 yards back to the pickup.

Pure luck.

I acted like it was no big deal. I was also hoping we did not see any more long range rabbits that he would ask me to repeat the shot that day..

Site Supporter
    I have experienced first hand how ridiculously accurate the .45 caliber Glocks are. It's truly silly, but I had a third gen G21 that could stay on par with almost every 1911 I've shot barring some higher end guns.

I also love the bigger grips. They handle .45 better than almost every other 45 gun out there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I've tried different platforms and came full circle. Back to my first 2005 g19 and recently traded a ppq for a Vickers fde rtf2 that is my carry pistol.

Love them both. I must add that my newer Vickers has a tighter lockup and is noticeably more accurate when I shoot slowly for groups. Tempted to put a kkm in my older "frying pan" g19.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    the juice is simply not worth the squeeze.
    Lost River -- that is possibly the best comment I've seen all year... you made my day... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I have experienced first hand how ridiculously accurate the .45 caliber Glocks are. It's truly silly, but I had a third gen G21 that could stay on par with almost every 1911 I've shot barring some higher end guns.

I also love the bigger grips. They handle .45 better than almost every other 45 gun out there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Yep,

A few years after I went to an agency that issued G21s and my personally owned G21 that I had carried for work was no longer filling such a role, I replaced the night sights with a narrow .10 fiber optic front and an adjustable rear, since it was such an accurate gun. They definitely shoot better than most people realize.

To me the Gen3's feel like the handshake of an old friend.

I've owned a dozen or so Gen3's since 2000. I also have had and sold a couple Gen4 guns and currently own a Gen5 G19.

The gun pictured above is my G17 I bought new in 2009. It has a Sevigny Carry rear, a Trijicon XR front sight, a Jentra plug and a Wilson barrel. Everything else is bone stock.

It's been my duty gun and main squeeze since mid 2013 when my department finally approved and began issuing 124gr +P HST instead of the 115gr Remington "Express" garbage they had issued previously. It has the black "frying pan" finish and has worked 100% since Day 1.

I've shot Gen4 17's and own a Gen5 19, but there is nothing about those guns that do anything better than this one. Until Glock comes out with something substantially better I'll stick with this one.
    Last edited by KevH; 04-17-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Here I was going to post in this thread about how I'm still happy with my Gen 2 G19, but now @Lost River has me looking at surprisingly cheap Gen 3 G21's available on the used market.

This site is expensive.

User Tag List