Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: a step back - Glock Gen 3

Yea, though I walk through the valley, I shall fear no evil, for I have a Gen 3 G21 SF and a bunch of big old slugs in it!

I always found the Gen 1-3 Glocks to be too slippery in terms of the grip/frame. When I did carry one I had to use a Hogue slip on rubber grip but they would eventually get loose and rotate. For me to go back to a Gen 3 it would have to be stippled. I like the Gen 4-5 texture and think it’s a solid compromise between having enough purchase to shoot quickly while not destroying clothing.

The Gen 3 guns I have and enjoy are either RTF2 (used for HD or matches because they are too aggressive for carry IMO), or models Glock still refuses to sell in a 4/5 such as the G17L. And I would ditch them in a heartbeat for a Gen 5 17L and Gen 5 RTF2.

I realize recoil is subjective but to me the 4/5 guns with the new RSA recoil less. The first time a buddy let me shoot his new G21.4 I thought he had it loaded with “mouse fart” hand loads. He laughed and told me it was factory 230 ball. It felt like a 9mm when I shot it.
    Last edited by El Cid; 10-29-2019 at 08:38 PM.

In an additional twist, users of DIY Polimer80 guns in effect are stuck with the Gen3. That includes BTTF, which the G45 notch finally cured, supposedly.

I’ve seen several new Gen 3 26, 19, and 21s locally listed as LE contract over runs. $460 for the 9mm and $480 for the 45. The 21 is tempting just because I’m sitting on a lot of 45.
    Last edited by MGW; 10-30-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I always found the Gen 1-3 Glocks to be too slippery in terms of the grip/frame. When I did carry one I had to use a Hogue slip on rubber grip but they would eventually get loose and rotate. For me to go back to a Gen 3 it would have to be stippled. I like the Gen 4-5 texture and think it’s a solid compromise between having enough purchase to shoot quickly while not destroying clothing.

The Gen 3 guns I have and enjoy are either RTF2 (used for HD or matches because they are too aggressive for carry IMO), or models Glock still refuses to sell in a 4/5 such as the G17L. And I would ditch them in a heartbeat for a Gen 5 17L and Gen 5 RTF2.

I realize recoil is subjective but to me the 4/5 guns with the new RSA recoil less. The first time a buddy let me shoot his new G21.4 I thought he had it loaded with “mouse fart” hand loads. He laughed and told me it was factory 230 ball. It felt like a 9mm when I shot it.
    My only G21 is a gen2 and it is incredibly soft shooting.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    A Gen5 G45 RTF2 MOS would be probably my dream gun. The only Gen 3 guns I still have are a 21SF and my two Vickers RTF2 G19s.

I remember when Gen 3 was all they made and they made them well with decent plating on the small parts, machined extractors and locking blocks, and a straight ended trigger bar that yielded a delicious a stock trigger after a few boxes of ammo.

The late Gen3s slipped in quality, the Gen4s were a debacle, the eleventeen different variants and variations of the Gen5 are just a complete mess. The company seems to have no mission or direction, but they sell like hotcakes for some reason.

I've found that a segment of mountain bike innertube on the receiver, cut so that it's covering most of the gripping area works well. It provides superior gripping, doesn't tend to move, and is much thinner that the after-market alternative slip-on grips. And they're dirt cheap-heck, just go to a bike store and ask for an old innnertube and they'll probably just give you one gratis. Even a brand new one probably won't cost more than $5-$10 bucks.

While I prefer the texture of the Gen4 Glocks, the innertube solution brings my older Glocks up to gripping parity.

Best, Jon

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I remember when Gen 3 was all they made and they made them well with decent plating on the small parts, machined extractors and locking blocks, and a straight ended trigger bar that yielded a delicious a stock trigger after a few boxes of ammo.
    Part of me still thinks that my circa-2000 Gen 3 Glocks were the ones I should have kept.

g n

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

The late Gen3s slipped in quality, the Gen4s were a debacle, the eleventeen different variants and variations of the Gen5 are just a complete mess. The company seems to have no mission or direction, but they sell like hotcakes for some reason.
    That’s why once I switched to Glocks, I locked in a few 19’s and 26’s and have ignored the marketing of the past decade.

I buy ammo and enjoy life instead of obsessing over the “latest and greatest” that are actually a step back in the logical areas.

User Tag List