Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: a step back - Glock Gen 3

I don't need a different backstrap size, I'm right-handed, and I unlike a lot of people I don't mind the finger grooves, so I've never seen a need to get rid of my old Gen 3s and go to Gen 4 or 5. In fact, all the Glocks I've bought since Gen 4 was released have been used Gen 3's. They're cheaper and there's no downside for me. It keeps me from having to stock spare parts for different generations too.

Site Supporter
    Picked up a Gen 3 RTF G17 today.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 04-19-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    I guess I have stayed two steps back. All four of my personal Glocks are Gen 2 or 2.5. My issued G23 gen 4 likes to BTFH me about every hundred or so rounds. No issues with any of the older versions except the mag well of my G17 has developed a C- shaped crack that will break off eventually. It was a regional jail weapon originally so not surprised. I have resisted the urge to buy any of the G5 versions since my older ones do nearly everything I require. That also frees funds up for my irrational addiction to round butt K frame S&W revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I guess I have stayed two steps back. All four of my personal Glocks are Gen 2 or 2.5. My issued G23 gen 4 likes to BTFH me about every hundred or so rounds. No issues with any of the older versions except the mag well of my G17 has developed a C- shaped crack that will break off eventually. It was a regional jail weapon originally so not surprised. I have resisted the urge to buy any of the G5 versions since my older ones do nearly everything I require. That also frees funds up for my irrational addiction to round butt K frame S&W revolvers.
    Are you going to send it back to GA for a new frame? They had my 19 back to me in a week or less under warranty. I don't mind the Gen3 finger grooves, though. (Was happily surprised about that.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    So where do you get new gen 3s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    California

I have an L prefix G19 and an N prefix G17 with about 10K on each with zero malfunctions other than some WWB primers that never fired. The G19 has Austrian proof marks and has the best out of box Glock trigger I've every experienced. I installed Vickers mag releases on both. As I recall the 17 had some BTF but was mostly corrected with the 30274 ejector swap. When SSE was a thing I picked up a couple Gen4 17s & 19s and much prefer their texture. Gen5s are available at significant markup and are not on my radar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Are you going to send it back to GA for a new frame? They had my 19 back to me in a week or less under warranty. I don't mind the Gen3 finger grooves, though. (Was happily surprised about that.)
    I do remember you mentioning your G19 frame swap. Somewhere in my desk is our Glock district representative’s business card. Will call him next week while I am recuperating from my final (hopefully) cataract surgery.
    The G3/4 finger grooves work for me as well since my fingers are small.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I do remember you mentioning your G19 frame swap. Somewhere in my desk is our Glock district representative’s business card. Will call him next week while I am recuperating from my final (hopefully) cataract surgery.
    The G3/4 finger grooves work for me as well since my fingers are small.
    Good luck with the cataract surgery.

When I had my G19 worked on, I simply called Glock HQ in Smyrna and spoke with "technical services", also showed an image I had posted here on P-F.

The gent, "Kevin", I believe it was, told me that it would be covered under warranty and had me complete the form to accompany the G19. Couldn't have been easier.

(I don't recall whether the fact that I was LE when I purchased for use on / off the job was a contributing factor to the warranty coverage or not. But do mention it just in case.)
    Last edited by blues; 04-20-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Yeah, I still really like the G19 Gen 3... now the G17 Gen 3, I very much am not a fan of given the Gen 5 is available now. Still, Wish the trigger reach was a tad shorter on Gen 3 G19 though... but that is my gripe with almost all double stack pistols.

Site Supporter
    Almost shot a perfect score qualifying today with my Gen 3 RTF. Had two below the ring of perfection when I had to shoot from the hip. Let’s blame the target being tall and me being short.

First time I shot a Gen 3 in 10 years.

The grip feels too big but combined with the RTF, gives me positive control over the gun.

Does anyone have a line on a new blue label Gen 3 17? I work with a guy who's been looking for one and all the local blue label Glock distributors and dealers are fresh out with no ETA.

User Tag List