Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: a step back - Glock Gen 3

Similar to what some others have said above, my experience with owning seven Gen 3 Glocks in calibers 9mm, .40 and .45 is that the trigger linkage smoothness and plating quality were better than in subsequent generations, but that "gripability" of the frame was so poor (worthless "grenade checkering" and finger grooves) that some sort of grip enhancement treatment was almost a necessity.

Now that Glock has improved the frame traction and is offering a degree of fit variation via interchangeable backstraps, it's too bad that the Gen 5 guns can't use the older Gen 3 trigger parts that I'd stockpiled.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Similar to what some others have said above, my experience with owning seven Gen 3 Glocks in calibers 9mm, .40 and .45 is that the trigger linkage smoothness and plating quality were better than in subsequent generations, but that "gripability" of the frame was so poor (worthless "grenade checkering" and finger grooves) that some sort of grip enhancement treatment was almost a necessity.

Now that Glock has improved the frame traction and is offering a degree of fit variation via interchangeable backstraps, it's too bad that the Gen 5 guns can't use the older Gen 3 trigger parts that I'd stockpiled.
    Gen 5 guns take Gen 4 and Gen 3 parts. I have really grown to dislike the Gen 5 trigger. I put a Gen 4 and Gen 3 trigger parts in a couple of Gen 5s. It is way better.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I find the slimmer Gen 4 frame to be a huge improvement in my grip on the Glock 19, but the 17 not so much. Have never shot a Gen 4 g26 but I never struggled with the frame size on that one quite like I did the gen 3 19 for whatever reason.

I still have a gen 3 19 and its a good shooter but my gen 4s are what I practice with/carry. my g26s are both gen 3s and I am happy with them too.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-31-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 G26s are noticeably thinner than the Gen 3 G26.

It's probably only a tiny measurable difference of a few millimeters, but the later generation guns feel notably smaller in the grip to me.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Gen 5 guns take Gen 4 and Gen 3 parts. I have really grown to dislike the Gen 5 trigger. I put a Gen 4 and Gen 3 trigger parts in a couple of Gen 5s. It is way better.
    If the trigger bar and the connector of the Gen 3 guns will work in a Gen 5 G26, I'll be doing some switcheroos.

If the trigger bar and the connector of the Gen 3 guns will work in a Gen 5 G26, I'll be doing some switcheroos.
    You have to use a Gen 4 ejector housing, but yes it works, and use the gen 3/4 trigger pin with slide stop/release. You could get fancy and switch trigger shoes on the bar and still use a Gen 5 slide stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    You have to use a Gen 4 ejector housing, but yes it works, and use the gen 3/4 trigger pin with slide stop/release. You could get fancy and switch trigger shoes on the bar and still use a Gen 5 slide stop.
    Are the Gen 4 and Gen 5 ejector housings the same?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 G26s are noticeably thinner than the Gen 3 G26.

It's probably only a tiny measurable difference of a few millimeters, but the later generation guns feel notably smaller in the grip to me.
    For whatever reason, the structure of my hand has always conspired to push shots to the L on the gen 3 g19 frame. Never had that issue with 26 or 17 frame; if anything, had a hard time getting a good purchase on the gen 4 g17 w/o backstrap. Kept fumbling the draw. Put a Med backstrap on it and it's perfect.

Are the Gen 4 and Gen 5 ejector housings the same?
    Yes and no, Gen 5 uses the different spring to push the trigger bar back up to reconnect with the firing pin. Same "footprint" different spring holes/slots. Housing to frame pin the same though.

So I did this on my guns with an armor slide plate. Trigger bar to sear interface was good. Pushed down on bar and drop safety was good. Do your due diligence, but with my 2 Gen 5 guns it was fine, some aftermarket is doing the same.

User Tag List