Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impulse buy: Kahr CW 45

Impulse buy: Kahr CW 45

While I was dropping off my Storm to be Cerakoted and upgraded with about every accessory part Beretta offers, I was perusing the case at my LGS for a good excuse to use my new CCH permit to buy a handgun sans separate pistol permit. I came home with a barely used CW45. Two reasons: 1)$299.00 asking price, 2) the best DA trigger I have felt on a semi-auto since a DAO M92 in the early nineties. I had no intention of getting a .45 ACP for carry, but we shall see after I test it out in the backyard tomorrow.

A few questions: 1) Any feedback from those of you with experience with this pistol? 2) Why does the trigger feel so much better than the 9mm polymer Kahr I tried a few months back? That sucker felt like squeezing a marshmallow.

Site Supporter
    I’ve always found the 45 Kahrs to be the most troublesome, exponentially the smaller and lighter they go. Enough so that I told myself if a steel version isn’t made, I don’t consider a Kahr in that caliber.

The dao should feel great, as the trigger operates a cam on the striker. If it’s funky, I’d gander a guess that the pin holes aren’t quite to spec.

I’ve had the cw40 and t40- I’d like to add a t9 to the collection some day. I know a lot of people hate them due to issues with mags popping rounds in pockets and the like, but I haven’t had that problem (maybe the 9mm has more of this problem than the 40?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks jeep.

Having some issues with my water heater this morning, once that is taken care of, I'm going to run 50 rounds of 230 grain S&B through the Kahr and see what happens. Worse case, I put it on commission at my smith`s shop and buy yet another revolver with the sale money.

When buying Kahrs the further you away from the all steel original K9 9mm the more likely you are to have problems.
    I've had great luck with my two PM9's, one of them is my pocket carry and I trust it 100%.
    I did have a P380 that was a complete train wreck even after multiple trips back to the Moonieland.
    I also had a T9 that Kahr could not make work despite multiple attempts.
    I recently bought a CW380 on a whim to use as a pocket gun around the house, it's so far eaten 150 rounds of assorted without an issue but until I hit the 500 mark I won't be confident in it.
    If the CW380 will function with the Underwood "penetrators" I have on order then I'll probably replace my J-frame with it as the gun I carry when I'm not carrying a gun.
    I shoot the micro-autos so much better than I do the J that the step down in caliber is worth it to me in the role they fill.

In my experience Kahr is VERY hit or miss when it comes to reliability.
    If you get one that works out of the box, it'll usually continue working forever.
    If you get one that doesn't work it'll be a complete train wreck.
    Proceed with that in mind and do not waste time and effort on one that doesn't work.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Angry

100 rounds, no issues!

I'd go for another 100, but water heater still acting up.

Looks like it's going to take some practice to not shoot low with the sights, but seems like $299 well spent so far.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

Site Supporter
    I bought a PM45. I really wanted it to work. I tried to work through the “break in” period but it never inspired confidence so I sold it off. They should have made it compatiable with 1911 mags. I would have loved it for backup.

The 200 round "break-in" period is a complete line of bullshit by Kahr as a way to blow off warranty claims.

Rack the slide and dry fire a few dozen times.
    Field strip and check for any obvious plastic flash or metal burrs that need removed.
    Lubricate all the wear spots that the rack/dry fire put a shine to.
    Hit the range with a quality FMJ ammunition (Magtech is my preferred brand).
    I give it one "freebie" magazine of live fire as a shake down.
    From magazine two on I expect it to work 100% on the feed and function side of things for at least 200 rounds without cleaning or lubrication.
    With Kahrs I give them some leeway on last round lock open and first round feed for a couple hundred rounds, that's just a quirk of the design.

If your Kahr won't feed and eject quality standard weight SAAMI spec FMJ from round 10-200 send it back because it's defective.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Based on your experience, Jody, looks like I will be on the lookout for a used 9mm kahr. I am not willing to spend far more than I can get back in a re-sale on an "iffy" gun. But I really like the overall design. The .45 is just a tad thick and heavy recoiling for a carry piece for me. I have a feeling the .45 Kahr will end up being a car gun. Forgive the pun.

If you buy a used MK9 or PM9 message me and I'll walk you through the most common issues and how to fix them.

The old, steel, Elite 98's were good. I've had success with the four Kahrs that I've owned, though I have no intention of acquiring more.

Don't carry loose mags in your pocket, though. the top round will wiggle loose

User Tag List