Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a step back - Glock Gen 3

a step back - Glock Gen 3

I've been carrying and qualifying with Glock pistols since 1996, started life with a G-17/19/26 Gen3. Transitioned to the G-22/23/27 Gen3 in 2003, then had the opportunity in 2012 to switch back to the G-17/19/26 in Gen4.

In 2018-19 I test drove the Gen5 G-19/45/43X. The Gen5 is a good firearm, reliable, accurate, but there are many changes to the Glock platform that I wasn't looking for or felt that I needed (YMMV).

So back in January I shot a LEO friends Gen3 G-19, call it nostalgia, but I forgot how nice the Gen3 shot and felt in my hand. So I sold all of my Gen4/5 autos and bought two new G-19/26 Gen3's, I've come full circle. The Gen3's that I bought were headed for CA and the price was lower than the newer Glock offerings.

I forgot how much I like the simplicity of the Gen3 Glocks (finger-groves, single-captive recoil spring, small mag release, flat dull finish on the slide, no flared mag-well, no back-straps, single slide stop, no beveled front of the slide, no RTF on the grip, and all). I am wondering if there is anyone else that has "gone back" to the Gen3 too...

Site Supporter
    My first foray into the Glock world was two years ago, a used G26.3. It quickly became my primary carry gun, and is to this day.

Site Supporter
    I have been carrying the same Glock 26 since 2003. I have most of the Gen3, 4 and 5 models and prefer my Gen3 26 and Gen 3 RTF2's.

I really like mine I just bought it 3 weeks ago. I find that it shoots nice. I have nothing else to compare it to, but I will learn to shoot it well. Got to put the time in .

Quote Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
    I've been carrying and qualifying with Glock pistols since 1996, started life with a G-17/19/26 Gen3. Transitioned to the G-22/23/27 Gen3 in 2003, then had the opportunity in 2012 to switch back to the G-17/19/26 in Gen4.

In 2018-19 I test drove the Gen5 G-19/45/43X. The Gen5 is a good firearm, reliable, accurate, but there are many changes to the Glock platform that I wasn't looking for or felt that I needed (YMMV).

So back in January I shot a LEO friends Gen3 G-19, call it nostalgia, but I forgot how nice the Gen3 shot and felt in my hand. So I sold all of my Gen4/5 autos and bought two new G-19/26 Gen3's, I've come full circle. The Gen3's that I bought were headed for CA and the price was lower than the newer Glock offerings.

I forgot how much I like the simplicity of the Gen3 Glocks (finger-groves, single-captive recoil spring, small mag release, flat dull finish on the slide, no flared mag-well, no back-straps, single slide stop, no beveled front of the slide, no RTF on the grip, and all). I am wondering if there is anyone else that has "gone back" to the Gen3 too...
    What this thread and your name tell me is you are a man who knows what works and does not need a lot of fluff. The Gen 3 like the 30/30 has served their owners well and done exactly what they were designed to do for years. Since their release there have been faster, slimmer, more exciting flavors released but it doesnt take away from the the usefulness they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I have been carrying the same Glock 26 since 2003. I have most of the Gen3, 4 and 5 models and prefer my Gen3 26 and Gen 3 RTF2's.
    Now I am going to have to get a 26 3gen. This pistol hobby can be a addiction.

I haven't gone back to the future...I just never left the past.

Still carry either a Gen 2.5 G26 I bought in 1995 or 1996...or a Gen2 G19 I bought in 1988 or 1989 (which was updated with a Gen3 frame when the original developed a crack at the mag well.)

I did buy a Gen4 G17 a couple years back as a dedicated nightstand gun (due to wanting a weapon mounted light, and not having the Gen3 frame on my G19 at the time.)

The newer guns may be more better, but I'm satisfied with my relics.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm kind of the opposite. I have 2 G19 Gen 3's and a G26 Gen 3 from the time of BTF. I have an APEX extractor on the two G19s. The G26 could probably use one... If I could get anything out of them locally, I would surely upgrade to Gen 5 with the breach cut just to not stress over the ejection pattern. I have an obsessive personality, and I tend to fixate on things like weak ejection/btf that has caused three guns to basically sit in the safe collecting dust.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    I'm kind of the opposite. I have 2 G19 Gen 3's and a G26 Gen 3 from the time of BTF. I have an APEX extractor on the two G19s. The G26 could probably use one... If I could get anything out of them locally, I would surely upgrade to Gen 5 with the breach cut just to not stress over the ejection pattern. I have an obsessive personality, and I tend to fixate on things like weak ejection/btf that has caused three guns to basically sit in the safe collecting dust.
    Suppose you could post them up on the exchange here. You’d probably at least net enough to get 1.5, maybe even 2 Gen 5 pistols. I paid $360 out the door for my used Gen 3 G26. I see used Gen 3s going for ~$400, and selling slow b/c tax and the fact that used and new Gen 4s and new Gen 5s are in the same cases at $450-$600 depending on model, age, and condition. So if a guy could get a Gen 3 from a forum member for $350 after shipping and transfer, that’d start to look okay, especially for people who actually like them.

Site Supporter

a step back - Glock Gen 3

Never mind. Posted without properly caffeinated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by serialsolver; 04-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.

User Tag List