Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Duty Holsters

Site Supporter
    I had a Bucheimer security holster for my five-inch barreled S&W revolver back in the day. I suspect it was chosen because Bucheimer was in my first agency;s jurisdiction, but it was an excellent holster. When I went to the next agency, I was issued a high-gloss holster with a strap to retain the holster. I then went to a thumb-break version of the same flavor.

Backin the eighties, cops were being killed pretty regularly with their own handguns. I purchased a Bianchi Hurricane which was much better than the agency issue holsters, but in retrospect, not as good as my first holster. The agency eventually went to another company's Hurricane-like front-break which I adopted after my Hurricane wore out.

We went to Safariland's quasi-lether offerings when we went from wheel guns to pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I still really like the 070 and there are still a few guys at my department that carry them. Using one is like riding a bike and I still find myself faster drawing with it than almost any other rig.

That being said, I think the 6360 and the 6390 are better holsters for most people due to the ease of reholstering under stress (and it automatically engages the primary security device) and the ability to run a WML.

I currently use a 6360 by choice, but I wouldn't be mad if I had to go back to the 070.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I meant to add to my post above:

I've never actually traded with Black Hills Leather.

I used to live a quarter mile from Ted Blocker. They are good folks.
    I had one of Blocker's dual snap duty holsters for a BHP.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I concur.

I had one of Blocker's dual snap duty holsters for a BHP.

How natural was his dual snap holster to use?

It is different than most anything else out there, but wasn't too bad after practicing. One issue was that, when riding shotgun, the seatbelt would pop the outboard snap with regularity.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    It is different than most anything else out there, but wasn't too bad after practicing. One issue was that, when riding shotgun, the seatbelt would pop the outboard snap with regularity.

Do you feel like it actually providing better security against a gun grab?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do you feel like it actually providing better security against a gun grab?
    Better than a standard thumb break, absolutely. But I didn't have any attempted gun grabs, either.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Finally went from a 070 to a 7360 last year. I much prefer the ALS/SLS combo and the ability to reholster right back into retention.

My last leather duty holster was from A.E. Nelson. It was a classic thumb break that had been customized for my 5" P220 and X300. I carried a classic thumb break from 1992 to ~2012 when the ALS was released. We went for the ALS hard after watching out people with SLS's in more complex scenarios. We counted at least three dropped guns from people who drew, holstered, and then moved without re-engaging the SLS. The ALS seems to be the best blend between security and speed that is currently available.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    My last leather duty holster was from A.E. Nelson. It was a classic thumb break that had been customized for my 5" P220 and X300. I carried a classic thumb break from 1992 to ~2012 when the ALS was released. We went for the ALS hard after watching out people with SLS's in more complex scenarios. We counted at least three dropped guns from people who drew, holstered, and then moved without re-engaging the SLS. The ALS seems to be the best blend between security and speed that is currently available.

What year did the ALS come out? I thought it was pre 2012.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What year did the ALS come out? I thought it was pre 2012.
    We were messing with them as a replacement for thumb breaks around 2008 or 2009.

User Tag List