Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Duty Holsters

Site Supporter

Leather Duty Holsters

Does anyone here still use thumb break leather duty holsters?

I’ve migrated to the ALS series, but Safariland still lists the 0200 and 070 models. It seems that some LAPD guys still like them. Especially the swivel holsters.

Ted Blocker is another maker that looks to offer high quality leather.

I would take one over a 6280 , but it’s hard to beat the ALS for duty.

I used this for years. I went with the high rise zero can't. My son wears one now, carrying on the tradition.

http://davisleathercompany.com/duty/4500basketweave/

JW

Black Hills Leather makes holsters not only in leather, but also in brown, and for revolvers to boot. I've considered one of their rigs for woodsbumming.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Kirkpatrick Leather made me one for my G-34, has held up really well.

I still really like the 070 and there are still a few guys at my department that carry them. Using one is like riding a bike and I still find myself faster drawing with it than almost any other rig.

That being said, I think the 6360 and the 6390 are better holsters for most people due to the ease of reholstering under stress (and it automatically engages the primary security device) and the ability to run a WML.

I currently use a 6360 by choice, but I wouldn't be mad if I had to go back to the 070.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does anyone here still use thumb break leather duty holsters?

I’ve migrated to the ALS series, but Safariland still lists the 0200 and 070 models. It seems that some LAPD guys still like them. Especially the swivel holsters.

Ted Blocker is another maker that looks to offer high quality leather.

I would take one over a 6280 , but it’s hard to beat the ALS for duty.
    I ran a 200 back in the mid 1990s. It’s a thumb break but like the 070 it’s not actually leather. My Agency issued Don Hume and Aker Laether thumb break holsters through the early 2000s.

https://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=760

https://akerleather.com/holsters/on-...y-holster.html
    Last edited by HCM; 04-16-2019 at 06:40 PM.

I meant to add to my post above:

I've never actually traded with Black Hills Leather.

I used to live a quarter mile from Ted Blocker. They are good folks.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I ran a 200 back in the mid 1990s. It’s a thumb break but like the 070 it’s not actually leather. My Agency issued Don Hume and Aker Laether thumb break holsters through the early 2000s.

https://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=760

https://akerleather.com/holsters/on-...y-holster.html
    Didn't realize they were not leather. Interesting, but I do like the look of the don hume.

LSP had a special model 200 Top Gun for the SIG 220/226 called the 200LS. The holster was a true straight drop and had a slightly longer thumb snap which actually stood up. A lot of production 200s were canted and the thumb snap curved over, which isn’t a good thing for a thumb snap.

Unless you wanted an added security level, it really was the perfect duty holster.

Prior to than, I used a Davis 4500.

When I went Glock, it was in a Safariland 200.

Don Hume makes decent leather.
    Last edited by LSP552; 04-17-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Site Supporter
    I started my career with an issued Gordon Davis thumbreak. I really liked that holster. When the Davis holsters were no longer available we switched to don Hume. The don Hume holsters were of such poor quality compared to the Davis that it soured me to don hume ever since. I was assigned to research available duty holsters for our issued 1911s. AE Nelson makes a nice leather thumbreak and we tested it. We did not try a Ted blocker. I don’t remember why. Probably because they did not send us a free holster to evaluate. I used the safariland 070 and loved it. I also used the model 200 and really liked it. Unfortunately safariland changed the 200. My first one was straight cant with a thumb break that stood up straight. It was a fast holster. They changed the cant and molded the thumbreak to go over the pistol. I hated the SLS. Long story short the best duty holster today is a safariland ALS. The retention, draw ability and being able to clean blood or toxic chemicals off it can’t be beat. The only reason I would have leather for uniformed patrol today is for ceremonies. Don’t discount the decontamination of the safariland. You haven’t had had fun until you had to go through the hazmat decon trailer and get scrubbed down by the guys in yellow suits and argue with them that you are not giving them your duty belt to “dispose” of since you know your Department does no have spares.

User Tag List