Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Duty Holsters

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We were messing with them as a replacement for thumb breaks around 2008 or 2009.

I started in LE at the end of 2007. My first holster was a horrible uncle mikes universal holster. Sadly I was a holster moron and apparently no one else had the ability to instruct me about making better choices holster wise. Then I went to a new agency and got a 6280, went to a Serpa (still a holster moron) and eventually got some sense and moved to the ALS platform for good.

I prefer an ALS, but would use a high quality thumb break if issued one. Would never use a universal, 6280, or Serpa for serious work again. The SERPA would not be used for anything.

Site Supporter
    Tactical nerd that I am, I confess you guys astound me with your ability to remember and cite model numbers and names.
    When we went to the SIG 226, we went to a somewhat break-front holster (295?). It required a thumb-break of a strap. It seemed better than the version for DAO pistols such as the county Beretta pistols and the Glock they eventually adopted.

When Safariland no longer offered this holster for the DA/SA 226, we went to an SLS holster that had the retention of a bucket, especially when designed for weapon lights. The ALS.SLS version I had on retirement seemed the best holster I wore in uniform, though perhaps the hood wasn't necessary.

Site Supporter
    Did any of you find that leather holsters better supported the firearms vs other types of holsters?

While a crap holster, the BLAKCHAWK Level 2 holster I stupidly carried for a while was quite comfortable. It rode lower and felt better.

Site Supporter
    My leather duty holsters were great, but I had a limited number over my career and they were all for wheel guns.. My Safariland synthetic holsters varied in design quality, but were all top notch in production quality. I used a number of leather and synthetic concealment holsters and found quality varied with both.

Site Supporter

What kind of holster is that? It's made by Ted Blocker, but doesn't exactly seem like a swivel holster. Whatever it is, it looks good with the 5906.

Reholstering like Redrawing

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I still really like the 070 and there are still a few guys at my department that carry them. Using one is like riding a bike and I still find myself faster drawing with it than almost any other rig.

That being said, I think the 6360 and the 6390 are better holsters for most people due to the ease of reholstering under stress (and it automatically engages the primary security device) and the ability to run a WML.

I currently use a 6360 by choice, but I wouldn't be mad if I had to go back to the 070.
    "Reholstering" your weapon vs. "holstering" your weapon... like "Redrawing" your weapon vs "drawing" your weapon.

Holstering "under stress" is a bit of an issue I have with training. The idea that you'll have to "holster fast" or else get hurt drives training in a direction I don't think is productive.

Thoughts?
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post

Holstering "under stress" is a bit of an issue I have with training. The idea that you'll have to "holster fast" or else get hurt drives training in a direction I don't think is productive.

Thoughts?
    Would seem not an uncommon event for law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Would seem not an uncommon event for law enforcement.
    Example(s) please.

My thought process is this: if you need to put the gun up it is for a few reasons, but none of which are deadly force reasons.

So why all the stress and why do you need to speed holster the weapon?

Note - I'm not saying these examples do not exist, I'm just asking for examples. I ask because this issue of "speed holstering" (or as some say... speed "re-holstering") tends to come up frequently.

I just want to know in what plausible scenario officers may be faced with that necessitates a speed holster. I believe this same thought process is what led to the "holster without looking at your holster" craze about 10 years ago or so.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

"Reholstering" your weapon vs. "holstering" your weapon... like "Redrawing" your weapon vs "drawing" your weapon.

Thoughts?
    I agree that it's good to teach folks to "reluctantly" re-holster, but...

If you draw and point a gun at someone and something weird happens...like they decide to run away...you are going to have to holster fast...and if you want to chase them...the gun better be secure (I watched a gun fall out of a partner's 6280 in a foot pursuit where the SLS wasn't up).

Out on a high-risk stop for a stolen car and the suspect car drives away and now you are going into a vehicle pursuit...probably going to want to put your gun away in that holster as quick as you can.

I can think of dozens of times (especially when I was a K9 handler) where I didn't just want, but needed to get my gun away as quick as I could.

That's where the ALS is a huge advantage. You find the holster and click the gun in and you have some level of security.

I can think of more than a few times with an 070 where I just barely had time to snap the thumb strap.

Example(s) please.
    I just named a couple, but here are some more.

Example 1: You are a K9 handler on a building search for a wanted suspect seen fleeing into it. You've made announcements and no one answers. You send your dog and now you are behind your gun out and a few other guys clearing behind him. Suddenly your dog bites someone...a homeless guy not your suspect. You want to holster fast and securely.

Example 2: You have your gun down at a low ready as your partner is attempting to Taser someone. It's not a lethal force scenario, but easily could be thus guns out and it's your job to provide lethal cover. The Taser doesn't work and the guy charges your parter. Now it is hands-on....you need to holster fast and securely.

Example 3: You are at a call at a homeless shelter of a man going crazy. He's armed with a bat smashing the wall. There is a large crowd of people. Suddenly he drops and stops breathing (excited delirium). You need to start CPR immediately and the crowd is screaming for you to do something (your body cam is filming and you're on surveillance and this just became a protocol case). Being able to holster quickly and securely (under incredible stress and with a dump of adrenalin and endorphins) may be important.

Example 4: You are in the city jail finishing booking an arrestee. Beep-beep-beep....alert tones over your radio. A co-worker has just been shot at. You and everyone else go running out of the jail. More of that magical CNS juice just got dumped through your body depleting fine motor skills and you are now in the giant hurry. You get out of the jail and need to get your guns (plural) back on as fast as you can to get to the scene. Having a holster that's fast to secure a gun may be important.

Need me to keep going?
    Last edited by KevH; 04-28-2019 at 11:33 PM.

User Tag List