Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-Duty enforcement: The death of Officer Donald Sahota

Off-Duty enforcement: The death of Officer Donald Sahota

I stopped being a police officer a long time ago, but I would like to offer this link to those of you who are, in the hopes you might absorb what is useful.

We have some second degree connections to this one. It happened a couple hundred yards from good friends, and if the suspect had knocked on their door, they would have been wholly unprepared. Officer Sahota was a friend of a friend.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I stopped being a police officer a long time ago, but I would like to offer this link to those of you who are, in the hopes you might absorb what is useful.

We have some second degree connections to this one. It happened a couple hundred yards from good friends, and if the suspect had knocked on their door, they would have been wholly unprepared. Officer Sahota was a friend of a friend.
    Thanks for posting this. Officer Sahota was a friend of a friend as well. What a tragedy.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    What a tragic case. To my fellow LEOs: When it comes to enforcement action that isn’t what your employer is expressly expecting you to do at that moment, just because you (think you) can, doesn’t mean you should (try). The other party always gets a vote.

We’ve all heard stories of cops engaging in pursuits in their POVs, tackling shoplifters while off duty, wading into heated arguments while waving their badges, etc. Just say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    What a tragic case. To my fellow LEOs: When it comes to enforcement action that isn’t what your employer is expressly expecting you to do at that moment, just because you (think you) can, doesn’t mean you should (try). The other party always gets a vote.

We’ve all heard stories of cops engaging in pursuits in their POVs, tackling shoplifters while off duty, wading into heated arguments while waving their badges, etc. Just say no.
    Sound advice. Not advice I always followed, but now as an old retired guy I am amazed it never cost me, and critical of the errors of my younger ways.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think one of my takeaways is that the only reason the suspect didn't stab Dawnese Sahota, or take her hostage is that he apparently just didn't want to.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Reminds me of a couple things.
    1. I never ever answer the door. If you're a friend who just spontaneously stopped by ...no prob...text or call me at the door. Otherwise I don't care, not even a little.
    2. Back in the 90s, when I was a teen and there were no GPS or cell phones I had to pick up my sister from a friend's house. These developments are large mazes and I got lost at night. Stopped by a random house and knocked on the door to ask for help. Luckily they let me use their phone. I was kinda close.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

A tragedy.

As a longtime plainclothes guy, stuff like this keeps me up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    A tragedy.

As a longtime plainclothes guy, stuff like this keeps me up at night.
    Yes. And a long time ago, I could have been the deputy with the rifle.

Didn't know Officer Sahota but one of my best friends worked with him for 20 years. Tragic event and I feel terribly for his family.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sound advice. Not advice I always followed, but now as an old retired guy I am amazed it never cost me, and critical of the errors of my younger ways.
    Guilty as charged... But I'm older and wiser now.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List