Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge

Site Supporter

RFI: Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge

I'm thinking about replacing my CZ Bobwhite 20g SxS. I bought it several years ago because I always wanted a SxS and this was the most affordable way to get a proper one (correct frame size for the gauge, etc). It's a nice gun, but with most of my shotgunning being clay games these days, I'm not enjoying it as much as I would like.

I'm considering selling it and taking the proceeds and my Cabelas Bucks accumulation and buying a nice semi-auto 20g that would be a better fit for clay games and still be good for hunting. The Benelli Montefeltro looks really good and the reviews are very positive. I fondled one at a gun shop the other day and liked the weight and how it pointed.

Use Cases:
    Clay Games (Trap, Skeet, Wobble Trap, Sporting Clays)
    Small Game Hunting (squirrel, potentially grouse)
    Turkey Hunting (distant possibility, would require confirming a good pattern with 20g turkey loads)

Requirements:
    Must be available at Bass Pro or Cabelas
    20 gauge
    Semi-Auto
    Price under $1300

The Benelli Montefeltro seems to tick all those boxes. There were mentions of higher recoil with this gun, but that seems to be in comparison with gas-operated guns. All of my other shotguns are break-action or manually operated, so that's not a major concern. Even when at the trap/skeet range, I normally don't shoot more than 150rnds in a session, so I should be ok there. Gun weight is about the same as my SxS, which means felt recoil, fit aside, should be about the same or lighter with the same loads. What else is out there I should consider that also meets the elements I listed above? Are there any warts to the Montefeltro I need to be aware of?

Chris

I have two in 20 gauge. One needed to go back for feeding issues. Otherwise they run like a 12 gauge M2, which means they are lightweight, reliable, and have slightly more felt recoil than a heavier gas operated design.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have two in 20 gauge. One needed to go back for feeding issues. Otherwise they run like a 12 gauge M2, which means they are lightweight, reliable, and have slightly more felt recoil than a heavier gas operated design.
    What was the cause of the feeding issue? High volume wear and tear or a design defect? I hadn't considered the M2 because it's at the cusp of my budget. Reviews on it look good and it seems to be nearly identical to the Monty aside from synthetic furniture and the recoil-reducing stock.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What was the cause of the feeding issue? High volume wear and tear or a design defect? I hadn't considered the M2 because it's at the cusp of my budget. Reviews on it look good and it seems to be nearly identical to the Monty aside from synthetic furniture and the recoil-reducing stock.

Chris
    It was a like new Benelli, so definitely not wear. I have a second one, set up as a slug gun, that has always been 100 percent reliable.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    My experience with sporting Bennellis is all in 12 gauge. They handle very nice, point and handle really well but exhibit the drawbacks (if you want to call them that) of the inertial recoil systems: They tend to have a little more felt recoil and they tend to be a little more finicky about what they feed.

Beretta makes their A400 in 20 gauge as well, which can probably be had in your price bracket. That's worthy of taking a look at as well, IMO. It appears to be about 1/2 a pound heavier but it's got the same action as the 1301 shotgun, which means it recoils really softly and eats everything you shove into it.

It's hard to go wrong with either gun, really.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 04-16-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    My experience with sporting Bennellis is all in 12 gauge. They handle very nice, point and handle really well but exhibit the drawbacks (if you want to call them that) of the inertial recoil systems: They tend to have a little more felt recoil and they tend to be a little more finicky about what they feed.

Beretta makes their A400 in 20 gauge as well, which can probably be had in your price bracket. That's worthy of taking a look at as well, IMO. It appears to be about 1/2 a pound heavier but it's got the same action as the 1301 shotgun, which means it recoils really softly and eats everything you shove into it.

It's hard to go wrong with either gun, really.

I was wondering why the A400 hadn't come under my view, then saw it's $1500+ at Cabelas. I could probably find it cheaper elsewhere, but would then lose the use of my points. If I end up being disciplined enough to wait till I have enough points to cover the difference or it goes on sale, I'll give it a look.

How "finicky" is finicky? Can it be adjusted (springs presumably for a recoil-operated gun)? Most of what I'll be shooting will be the 7/8oz 7 1/2 shot bulk pack loads for clays. A close second would be high brass 1oz loads for small game. If the gun can handle or be handled to comfortably handle those loads, anything else is gravy.

Chris

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    How "finicky" is finicky? Can it be adjusted (springs presumably for a recoil-operated gun)? Most of what I'll be shooting will be the 7/8oz 7 1/2 shot bulk pack loads for clays. A close second would be high brass 1oz loads for small game. If the gun can handle or be handled to comfortably handle those loads, anything else is gravy.

Chris
    That is an excellent question.

The answer is: I don't know.

I say that because I've watched 12 gauge Benelli's choke with light loads and then I've fired the very same gun with the very same ammo with no problems whatsoever. It worked fine in my hands because I was using push/pull which means the gun didn't move nearly as much and so the inertia system wasn't being robbed of energy by allowing excessive movement in the gun.

It is absolutely possible to "limp wrist"/"limp shoulder" a semi-automatic shotgun, especially an inertia-driven system. Given how few people out in the world using shotguns seem to understand recoil mitigation with one I'm not entirely sure that the "finicky" nature of the inertia guns isn't mostly a result of people letting the gun push them around due to bad technique. I'm sure there are loads out there that are a no-go in a Benelli no matter how still you keep the gun, but whether or not that would be the clay loads you are referencing in the gun you are referencing I couldn't say.

I'm not a Benelli armorer, but I'd imagine tuning the gun to a particular load with springs would be rather difficult for an end user given how the main spring is situated. I would imagine that you might find the gun performs a little bit differently with marginal loads if you break it in by shooting a few hundred of the stouter rounds through it.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Bolke and I each used several Montefeltro 20 ga. shotguns at the Industry Masters Shooting Tournament in Cody, WY several years ago. We were both deeply impressed with how they felt and shot at the time. I think you have a solid choice here!
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-17-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I am confused — I thought the “Haught” push/pull method was reported to make an inertial Benelli less reliable not more reliable?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That is an excellent question.

The answer is: I don't know.

I say that because I've watched 12 gauge Benelli's choke with light loads and then I've fired the very same gun with the very same ammo with no problems whatsoever. It worked fine in my hands because I was using push/pull which means the gun didn't move nearly as much and so the inertia system wasn't being robbed of energy by allowing excessive movement in the gun.

It is absolutely possible to "limp wrist"/"limp shoulder" a semi-automatic shotgun, especially an inertia-driven system. Given how few people out in the world using shotguns seem to understand recoil mitigation with one I'm not entirely sure that the "finicky" nature of the inertia guns isn't mostly a result of people letting the gun push them around due to bad technique. I'm sure there are loads out there that are a no-go in a Benelli no matter how still you keep the gun, but whether or not that would be the clay loads you are referencing in the gun you are referencing I couldn't say.

I'm not a Benelli armorer, but I'd imagine tuning the gun to a particular load with springs would be rather difficult for an end user given how the main spring is situated. I would imagine that you might find the gun performs a little bit differently with marginal loads if you break it in by shooting a few hundred of the stouter rounds through it.
    Gotcha. The spring idea came to mind after seeing a mention somewhere regarding wear-related spring replacement and that Wolff offered lighter springs. Me being a tinkerer immediately thought of lighter springs for lighter loads...
    The gun was supposedly designed to handle 7/8oz loads, so I should be ok with lightish loads. Breaking it in with stouter stuff would be a good idea. I have a lot of the stouter stuff to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Bolke and I each used several Montefeltro 20 ga. shotguns at the Industry Masters Shooting Tournament in Cody, WY several years ago. We were both deeply impressed with how they felt and shot at the time. I think you have a solid choice here!
    The overall message I keep reading is that it's a great gun with few significant warts. I'm a bit concerned because it's an unknown to me (all of my shotguns are manually operated), but even the most damning criticisms have been mild. You may be right about it being a solid choice.

Chris

User Tag List