Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 686 question

Closed the deal and fired the new 686 tonight. I really like it. I shot 25 rounds of 357 through it and 25 rounds of 38+p. Very accurate.

The only little things I noticed with it is the left side grip panel is a little loose and there is a slight rattle when you shake the gun. I am concerned about the grip screw being seized so I will go in gently to try and tighten it. Not sure if the rattle is an issue or not. Might just haul it to the smith and get it checked over. No evidence of the recall being performed.

The rattle is likely the hammer block. Completely normal.

I forgot to post it, but my 686 locked up on round number five of six a while back, shooting Fiocchi 142 grain .357 Magnum loads. Knowing that I could not ship a loaded gun I hauled it to my smith. He simply pushed on the cylinder, shearing the primer metal that had flowed into the firing pin bushing hole. It's back at Smith now, hopefully getting updated per the recall. Glad I didn't have to figure that problem out while smelling the breath of a bear.

Picked up some dies and brass, as well as 180-grain XTP's and Win 296. When it's all up and running, I think it will be my woods gun. Great revolver and I guess I am glad to get the issue sorted out early on.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

Picked up some dies and brass, as well as 180-grain XTP's and Win 296. When it's all up and running, I think it will be my woods gun. Great revolver and I guess I am glad to get the issue sorted out early on.
    You would probably find that the 180 XTPs won't open up much if at all out of a 4". They will be pretty accurate though.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    You would probably find that the 180 XTPs won't open up much if at all out of a 4". They will be pretty accurate though.
    Which is why you should get some of these https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-180gr-wfn-gc/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    What bullet would you recommend for a 4" barrel? The intended purpose of this gun is just to be available in the unlikely event that I need to persuade an aggressive animal in the woods. Bobcat on the small side, moose on the large. Most likely being coyote, bear and mountain lion.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    What bullet would you recommend for a 4" barrel? The intended purpose of this gun is just to be available in the unlikely event that I need to persuade an aggressive animal in the woods. Bobcat on the small side, moose on the large. Most likely being coyote, bear and mountain lion.
    No hogs?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    No hogs?
    No four-legged ones.

We have very few wild hogs here. So far...

FWIW, I've settled on the Hornady 158 grain XTP load for Pacific Northwest black bears, cougars, and crew cab pickups full of woods roaming tweakers, but I'd never tell you were wrong shooting the 180 XTP. It would penetrate like crazy.

Compared to dicking around with the 10mm as a woods gun, the .357 is a breath of fresh air, because there are so many good options for woods carry loads. I'd be happy with Gold Dots (again, not much expansion but lots of penetration), several different loads from Federal, the Fiocchi 158 XTPs, etc.

I did try a box of 145 grain Silvertips, and found defects on the cases that kept them from chambering easily, so I'd watch out for that one.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I like these for factory loads
    https://youtu.be/JZ-Tfq_bRSU

These seem good too. I just haven't found them locally.https://youtu.be/CzrxHjX7eWo

User Tag List