Thread: Rivers and streams

Rivers and streams

I'm not entirely sure which section to pose this question, but what do you do when you know you will be in a wet environment where there is a high probability of being submerged past the waist for brief periods? Remove the weapon and bag it temporarily? In a scenario where you might hike for while and cross a river, or some other wet outdoor activity, what is the recommended practice?

Quote Originally Posted by CG12 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure which section to pose this question, but what do you do when you know you will be in a wet environment where there is a high probability of being submerged past the waist for brief periods? Remove the weapon and bag it temporarily? In a scenario where you might hike for while and cross a river, or some other wet outdoor activity, what is the recommended practice?
    If I knew I was going to be wading for periods of time, I'd likely carry in my HPG Kit Bag. For stream crossings and such, I've often popped the magazine out of my Glock and stowed it.

I also have had a little in extremis swim with a Glock, with properly sealed duty ammo and despite immersion for about 20 minutes, everything worked just fine when I stopped by the side of the forest road and popped off a whole magazine For Science. I sluiced the majority of the silt and out with a water bottle, dripped a little oil on from my truck's dipstick and everything was fine until I could further tend to it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

[QUOTE=Lester Polfus;870343]If I knew I was going to be wading for periods of time, I'd likely carry in my HPG Kit Bag. For stream crossings and such, I've often popped the magazine out of my Glock and stowed it.

This is what I do on my canoe trips through the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. I also keep a small tackle box in it; a handy set up.

I keep mine in my holster. Clean it later.

I would avoid carrying a blued revolver with wood grips on that day though.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I keep mine in my holster. Clean it later.

I would avoid carrying a blued revolver with wood grips on that day though.
    I operated in humid wet conditions in South Carolina a lot; stainless steel handguns (before Glock) were a must. Blued guns suffered even if you endeavored to keep them clean. I kept a "Marine Tuff-Cloth" in my kit most of the time; a quick disassembly, wipe down, and re-assembly took care of it. Glock with the tenifer finish is the way to go if you can. Don't forget to wipe out the snaps (connectors etc) to keep them from getting gummed up.

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. Magnum View Post
    I operated in humid wet conditions in South Carolina a lot; stainless steel handguns (before Glock) were a must. Blued guns suffered even if you endeavored to keep them clean. I kept a "Marine Tuff-Cloth" in my kit most of the time; a quick disassembly, wipe down, and re-assembly took care of it. Glock with the tenifer finish is the way to go if you can. Don't forget to wipe out the snaps (connectors etc) to keep them from getting gummed up.
    My g19 was my boat gun for 10 years when I was a commercial fisherman. I didn't even try anything else. Wiped it down every day and oiled it when it needed it. Only minor surface rust if I missed a few days.

User Tag List