Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why are 125/130 grain .38+p so slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Wait, what did I miss? RA38B is still on Win LE and there is a bonded 130gr +P listed on the non-LE site.
    That's what I carry in my .38 Hopefully it won't go the way of the dodo anytime soon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

@revchuck I feel your pain. The .32-20, .38 Super, and .44 Special are similarly neglected. If it weren't for J-frames and LCRs, you'd have a choice between 130gr ball and XTPs at best.
    Last edited by Hambo; 04-17-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You said SAAMI standards for +P ammo don't exist. I showed you their standards say otherwise. The pressure units are irrelevant because those who do test their ammo have the equipment to measure in the correct units.

Your comment about reloading is a stupid strawman because (home) reloaders can't measure the pressure of their loads in any units.

You are way out of your lane and just double down on dumb because you can't admit it.
    Sure they can. I can have my ammo pressure tested if I want. There are labs that will test it. All one has to do is send it to them. Anyone can manufacture ammo and sell it with an 06 FFL. Someone in the reman ammo business isn't going to spend the money to buy the test equipment.

The SAMMI standard for 38 plus P is 20K PSI as I stated but I was guessing. I wasn't aware that there was a SAMMI standard so yeah I learned something and thanks for pointing that out.

That doesn't mean that BB's ammo is < 20K tho. Keeping the ammo within SAMMI standards is voluntary.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-17-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Wait, what did I miss? RA38B is still on Win LE and there is a bonded 130gr +P listed on the non-LE site.
    The pdx1 is still available but 50fps slower even though it's still listed at +p

03RN,

If you haven't watched it yet, the video linked in this thread mentions why velocity and energy numbers aren't all that relevant.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....y-Lucky-Gunner!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    03RN,

If you haven't watched it yet, the video linked in this thread mentions why velocity and energy numbers aren't all that relevant.

I saw it, velocity helps with barriers though.

Site Supporter
    https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=21620

105 boxes of RA38B in stock as of 2018-04-17 1855 PDT.

I purchased from them a few years ago with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=21620

105 boxes of RA38B in stock as of 2018-04-17 1855 PDT.

I purchased from them a few years ago with no issues.
    Thanks!

They're relevant to the paint they contribute to expansion and penetration. Most SAAMI spec 38 loading (even +P) don't have a sufficient combination of expansion and penetration to be really effective.

As I said before, I have to wonder if a modern .38 pistol could fire a .38 round loaded to 9mm/.357 magnum pressures (the same). There are a lot or 9mm revolvers that seem to be the same design and manufacture as the related .38 models. I wonder if they beef up the 9mm versions, or just make them to the same standards, just with the different chamber designs to accommodate the different rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    03RN,

A modest proposal (that I've made before)...

A '38 Magnum' load--.38 Special brass loaded to 9mm para pressure, carries the .'.38 Magnum` headstamp with a bright red ring on the brass. Boxes of ammo will be half warning. All revolver makers get to re-stamp their current. .38+p guns. Everybody wins.

Evidently, Buffalo Bore has decided it's ok to call hot .357 .38+p, as the first load linked in the thread shows. I always figured their insane prices were half motivated by the need to keep their ammo (at least in .38) out of cheap and old guns. I would be wary of putting even their 'standard pressure' .38 in many small .38 only revolvers. I don't understand why they aren't more upfront about selling out of SAMMI spec ammo. It's not like that's a crime, but it seems like they are wide open for a lawsuit if anyone does blow up a gun with their ammo, since I would think you could make a good case that the .38 special stamp on .357 pressure ammo constitutes fraud.

That being said, their. 38+p FBI load is probably a good example of what a .38 Magnum would be like.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 04-20-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List