Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why are 125/130 grain .38+p so slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Federal has a low recoil Hydra Shok as well.

I think probably the best load on the market for a 357 Mag snubby is probably the Hornady 135gr Critical Defense. It turns out about 1,100 fps from a snub so the recoil isn't bad. And this load does about 15" in gel after the clothing barrier which should make it about ideal.

I'd be curious to see how Federal's new Hydra Shok Deep bullet would do if loaded to about the same muzzle velocity.
    You use organic gel when you test right? I've got a ton of Golden Sabers but I'll probably switch to critical duties when I buy more.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I do carry golden sabers in my m19 every day.

This question is just out of curiosity. 9mm k frames are a thing and I just want to know why 38s can't perform similarly.
    How does a 9mm perform when fired from a 2" snub? Is the velocity high enough to get decent expansion and penetration?

I have seen some short barrel tests for autos but don't recall seeing anything using an LCR.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The serial number at which S&W started heat treating M&P cylinders is known. Post WW I is as close as I can get from memory.

A long time popular .38 Special load is a 158 gr lead bullet and 3.5 gr Bullseye. (Introduced in its present form ca 1904, original type in 1898.).
    Lyman finds this at or near maximum 16000 CUP, depending on which of their 150-160 gr molds is used.
    Phil Sharpe showed that load at 15000 crusher psi in 1948.
    At a guess I'd suspect that would be somewhere in the post 1930s timeline as that's when S&W quit building M&Ps with a cutout in the topstrap for the BP specific ammo.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Federal has a low recoil Hydra Shok as well.

I think probably the best load on the market for a 357 Mag snubby is probably the Hornady 135gr Critical Defense.
    This should have been 135 Critical Duty. The Critical Defense is a 125gr in 357 Mag. Sorry.

How does a 9mm perform when fired from a 2" snub? Is the velocity high enough to get decent expansion and penetration?

I have seen some short barrel tests for autos but don't recall seeing anything using an LCR.

The LCR gets pretty damn good velocity actually:

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...t-9mm-for.html

9mm seems to be the ideal 'sweet spot' in between .38 special and .357 mag for a J frame / LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    The LCR gets pretty damn good velocity actually:

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...t-9mm-for.html

9mm seems to be the ideal 'sweet spot' in between .38 special and .357 mag for a J frame / LCR.
    That's interesting.

So the next question; has anyone tested terminal performance with some of these bullets from the snubby 9?

I'd be more interested in a 9mm revolver if Ruger had shortened the cylinder and lengthened the barrel accordingly. They could have gained a half inch more barrel that way without changing the overall size of the gun.

Or, maybe better still, a cylinder and frame shortened but with a 1.87" barrel thereby giving a smaller package overall.

That's interesting.

So the next question; has anyone tested terminal performance with some of these bullets from the snubby 9?

I'd be more interested in a 9mm revolver if Ruger had shortened the cylinder and lengthened the barrel accordingly. They could have gained a half inch more barrel that way without changing the overall size of the gun.

Or, maybe better still, a cylinder and frame shortened but with a 1.87" barrel thereby giving a smaller package overall.

I seem to remember the Good Doctor commenting that the 9mm loads on The List worked pretty well out of sub-compact guns. Most of them are 3.5"ish barrels. A 1.87" revolver barrel works about to about the equivalent of a 3" semi-auto barrel.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

https://youtu.be/xc5n_JsY3aw

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    If you don't want rimless rounds in a revolver, there is (was?) the obscure 9 mm Federal rimmed
    If I remember correctly, somebody pointed out that 9mm Federal Rimmed would chamber in revolvers chambered for both .38 Short Colt and .38 S&W. I believe that 9mm is well over twice the pressure of a .38 S&W and several times that of a .38 Short Colt. The idea that someone might put a 9mm Federal Rimmed in a 1870s vintage revolver might have scared Federal off.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If I remember correctly, somebody pointed out that 9mm Federal Rimmed would chamber in revolvers chambered for both .38 Short Colt and .38 S&W. I believe that 9mm is well over twice the pressure of a .38 S&W and several times that of a .38 Short Colt. The idea that someone might put a 9mm Federal Rimmed in a 1870s vintage revolver might have scared Federal off.
    Indeed...

User Tag List