Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade Show - Atlanta 2019

Blade Show - Atlanta 2019

I'm finally going to go to Blade Show. I am not a knife collector or expert; just a guy who likes knives. I've wanted a custom damascus bowie for years, and I figure I might just pull the trigger if I see one that doesn't break the bank. On a more down to earth level, I hope to possibly pick up a Joe Watson while I'm there.

Have any of you been? Can anyone add some good defensive oriented brands to my list of what to take a look at? Is there anything about Blade I should know before I go?

Finally, I know more about food than knives. If anyone feels like sharing a restaurant recommendation, (doesn't have to be a James Beard award winner) I'd love to hear it. I'll be staying near the Cobb Galleria Center in Cumberland.

Thanks, fellas!

It's pretty dang impressive. I've missed the last few but plan to make it this year again. Really impressive. If you really want to hit it thoroughly plan quite a few hours. Full half day I would think. I tend to cruise pretty quick, not interested in every single thing/booth.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've gone many times, always stayed at the venue other than once when I was within walking distance. Mostly went to restaurants in the atrium, or inside the mall.

Prepare to be overwhelmed by the breadth of knives available. Get a copy of the layout so you can visit sections of interest, or makers of note. I get tired just thinking of how many hours and miles I logged over the many years I attended.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Carry some water with you. It's easy to get dehydrated while wandering the aisles. (And wear comfortable shoes.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If it's like when I went there will be crowds around whoever is the current hotness. Spend some time looking at less well-known makers and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I can't remember where we ate, but buying a Dozier from Bob Dozier is pretty cool.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

You'll get to see just about any kind of knife from crapola to works of art and everything in between. Have a plan if there's something specific you're after. Friday is the best day in my opinion as it's less crowded and you get first shot at the blades. Keep in mind some makers will sell out within hours on the first day.

Several makers will have raffles each day and it's a great way to score high end blades on the cheap. If you play raffles pay attention to the PA announcements or plan to be near the booth at drawing time as you only have a small window to claim it before the next name is drawn.

At night there are big gatherings in an area called the pit. It's at the Renaissance hotel connected to the show. You can drink and be merry with knife people, makers, and there's usually some buy / trade / sell going on at the tables. On occasion there's even disorderly conduct drama between makers at the pit.

You already mentioned Watson but also check out Tracker Dan, Bawidamann, and JB Knife for fixed blades. Fred Perrin usually has some ultra cool defensive tools at his table. There's always some new maker that you'll find over in the tables with cool stuff so check it all out.

As for food there isn't a ton of options around the show unless you're good with fast food, hotel food, or chain type places. There is a phenomenal BBQ joint about two miles away from the show called Heirloom Market BBQ. They have some hi-tops and benches outside where you can stand (no chairs) and eat or take it to go. There's usually a good crowd of blade show people at Fogo de Chao and Bone's for dinner but you should be thinking about reservations now.
    Last edited by Old Man Winter; 04-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If it's like when I went there will be crowds around whoever is the current hotness. Spend some time looking at less well-known makers and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I can't remember where we ate, but buying a Dozier from Bob Dozier is pretty cool.
    Bob's an old friend of mine. He's one of a kind. I've got a couple of his prototypes in the collection.

ETA: Fred Perrin. Also an old friend. Though I'm still not sure I forgive him for getting me saddled with an internal affairs investigation.
    Last edited by blues; 04-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I can’t make it until Saturday, so it sounds like I might an opportunity to get some stuff.

Having some sort of a plan seems like great advice. Local knife shows are 70% lower quality offerings, if Blade is that huge and the ratio is similar, having a plan would really make it more efficient and fun. I’m excited to update my EDC. Love my Al Mar, but time for an update.

Looked up Heirloom. Seems like a great option. Thanks again for the info. If anyone has more to add, please do. The more advice the better!

Site Supporter
    Food options have gotten exponentially better with the Battery across the elevated walkway. The entire area has benefited from the Braves coming to town. Just walk over to the Battery for many restaurants, so long as there is not a home game.

It's a great show. But I'm done in about 4-5 hours. But I don't like to talk to people. So your milage will likely vary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    It's a great show. But I'm done in about 4-5 hours. But I don't like to talk to people. So your milage will likely vary.
    Well sure, there's only so many scalpels available at the show!

"So then I told them I don't like to talk to people...(at least not the living). I just kill myself sometimes!"
    Last edited by blues; 04-15-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"So then I told them I don't like to talk to people...(at least not the living). I just kill myself sometimes!"

I don't talk to the dead people. I talk to myself. They're just in the room with me.

User Tag List