Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl: HBO Miniseries

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Yeah. I'm not sure I could come up with a better example to prove the point the show was trying to make. A commentator on Twitter, who grew up in the USSR, said of the show:

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1132033860391317504

I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    So it's the Russian version of a 911 truther film?
    https://youtu.be/z2_dhUv_CrI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those interested, here's a guy born in Kiev who was a teen in Kiev at the time of the disaster. It's not a critical piece on the movie as the title might suggest. He's adding a little perspective of the late soviet era along with what it was like in Kiev during and after the accident.

Also many photos from the exclusion zone as a backdrop. A bit rambling, but interesting.

You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    For those interested, here's a guy born in Kiev who was a teen in Kiev at the time of the disaster. It's not a critical piece on the movie as the title might suggest. He's adding a little perspective of the late soviet era along with what it was like in Kiev during and after the accident.

Also many photos from the exclusion zone as a backdrop. A bit rambling, but interesting.

"It's a bad sign when you turn on the radio and all you hear is classical music. Oh crap! What has happened?"

wow!

If you haven’t seen the show, but are critical of it because you think there are technical inaccuracies, you’re missing the point.

A) it’s a show, get over it.
    B) the technical aspects, right or wrong, are simply a backdrop to the real story, which I will not spoil for those that haven’t seen it.

If you can’t get out of your own head enough to enjoy it as social commentary and entertainment, I’d suggest not watching it. Or anything else for that matter. I’d also suggest not leaving the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I finished this not too long ago and it was an interesting read. I don't have a clue if it was accurate or not, but the author has a PhD in nuclear engineering from Georgia Tech, so... hopefully that's a good sign. Go Yellow Jackets.
    I can't speak to the accuracy either but it was a fascinating read, as were his other books.

However, his explanation of specific impulse (in a section on nuclear rockets) is the absolute worst I've ever seen. But that's why I was an aerospace major and he was a nuke.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I remember well Chernobyl...

Also the scandal of condemned lots of european food (mostly powdered and condensed milk) that magically got sold overseas and showed up here and in many parts of the world.
    Finding cans of dutch condensed milk (from brands that never showed up before) in the local supermarket at very low prices was a dead giveaway, but in the pre internet era, when all the information was obtained from reading local newspapers, radio and TV, it took a time to figure things out for most people. I think when the government took actions most of the goods were already sold out.

I applaud whoever decided to let non-Russian actors use their native accents as opposed to the McRussian ones like in Red Sparrow.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I applaud whoever decided to let non-Russian actors use their native accents as opposed to the McRussian ones like in Red Sparrow.
    Funny you say that...I had read reviews where people were up in arms when a black actor played Insp. Javert in Les Miserables on a recent PBS production. (Of course, they are historically correct that it would have been essentially inconceivable for the character to have been black in Victor Hugo's classic, given the time period.)

But where do we draw the line anymore? If it's okay to play a different nationality from your own...why would it matter if an actor portrays a race other than his own? (Hamilton? I haven't seen it...but...)

And no question that gender fluidity is also (or has already) been introduced.

So, the question is, does this make it okay that the Indians in the westerns from yesteryear were Caucasians?

Is it okay for an actual historical personage to be portrayed by someone of a different gender or race?

Does this make blackface a non-issue if it's not intended with malice?

Who gets to decide? Inquiring Soviet minds want to know...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think this is the first cable, made-for-tv series that I have ever completed. And I watched it over the last two nights. I think it was some of the most compelling entertainment, I've seen in a LOOONG time.

User Tag List