Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire in Paris

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I agree. If I could edit out my previous humorous post, I would. I didn't realize the degree of destruction.
    It’s okay, bro. When the first post came, it looked like it would be under control and everything would be okay.

Now, alas, it’s just hoping this isn’t a total loss.

BBC Radio quoted Parisian firefighters in that they were able to save the main structure. I wonder how many times in history it burned. Fires in churches and cathedrals are not that uncommon. I am sure it will be rebuilt but it'll take some.

When we go to Paris we always stay at the same place by the Jardin and the first thing we always do is to stroll down the Saint Michel to Notre-Dame. It is almost surprising how a loss of building, of a not my religion, in a not my country, can still be so touching.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

What a tragic loss.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e4opJsg8Jw8oOo

Gas tanks and Arabic documents found in unmarked car by Paris' Notre Dame cathedral spark terror fears
    Check the date of that article. 2016.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I just watched some of the footage, working from home today. Such a beautiful building. A friend drug me there when we visited Paris a few years ago and now I'm glad he did, because, obviously, I'll never see it the same way again.
    When we were in Paris last summer we skipped Notre Dame because our kids (ages 2 & 6) were too tired after spending most of the day at the Louvre. To be fair, my wife and I were pretty tired too. Now I really regret that we didn't go.

A sad event. It’s a beautiful landmark and had so much history attached. I read that numerous sacred relics were lost. I’m glad the firefighters were able to save the main structure and I’m sure the cathedral will be rebuilt but some of what was destroyed can’t be fixed.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I remember visiting Notre Dame when I was 18 year old. That place will definitely validate your belief in a god.

Sounds like most of the artwork was already removed due to the renovation. Main spire and roof gone, bell towers saved, pews and most of the nave saved. In fact, it sounds like a lot of it survived, one is tempted to say "miraculously."

A Jesuit was quoted early as saying that workers in the cathedral said it was deliberately set; I saw him quoted in a Tweet but that Tweet seems to have disappeared.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Check the date of that article. 2016.
    Yes, same as the poison gas plot but it is a priority target and the main suspect was just sentenced to prison last Friday.

It is also interesting that the Macron Government is already saying “not arson” when the fire isn’t even out yet. Arson investigation doesn’t work like that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Sounds like most of the artwork was already removed due to the renovation. Main spire and roof gone, bell towers saved, pews and most of the nave saved. In fact, it sounds like a lot of it survived, one is tempted to say "miraculously."

A Jesuit was quoted early as saying that workers in the cathedral said it was deliberately set; I saw him quoted in a Tweet but that Tweet seems to have disappeared.
    As shady as some of the things around this fire are, initial reports are often wrong. Barring outside evidence it will be a few days or more before arson can be conclusively ruled in or out.

User Tag List