Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA, front page WSJ

It seems a shame that pfestivus isn't returning in the same form. This feels like the first year I've had some real problems with you people.

I'm not a current NRA member. But, negative press for the NRA hurts all gun owners. I hope this gets resolved quickly. I think Colion Noir is a decent advocate, but isn't always my cup of tea.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Snippet:

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit accusing its longtime advertising agency Ackerman McQueen Inc. of refusing to comply with demands to justify its billings, an extraordinary public break with the gun-rights group’s largest outside partner.

The lawsuit, filed late Friday, comes amid an unusual battle unfolding behind the scenes at the NRA’s 76-member board, which some say pits a small group of pro-Ackerman McQueen directors against other board members and an outside NRA attorney.

The dispute in part is about how the NRA, with an annual budget of more than $300 million, is spending money during a period when its finances have been tight. The NRA ran at a deficit in its two most recently reported years.
    Thanks for this summary.

In terms of agency-client relations, this is business as usual. The trade rags have articles on it all the time. When times are fat and the agency is doing a good job, an agency might spend the client's money more freely than it would its own. The client (usually) turns a blind eye to minor excesses because the agency treats senior client people pretty well: golf, skiing, expensive dinners, etc. When things get lean or when the auditors show up, the client complains about excesses. The agency may feel some pain and people on both sides may have to find new jobs, but life will go on.

The contractual issues concerning LTC North's compensation are also part of the circle of life. Agency contracts can be as complex as legislation, and what they omit is usually more important than what they contain. Certain classes of costs can be marked up to astonishing levels and not violate the contract. The agency may not even be obligated to divulge actual costs, so they can refuse to share that information without violating the contract. At the same time, no client ever gives the agency a blank check because nobody wants to face the ugly surprises that inevitably come up. So while it's entirely possible that while no one at the NRA ever saw LTC North's actual contract, it beggars belief to say that they were completely unaware of the sum and had not approved it, even if that means only 2-3 people.

Usually the MSM only picks up on this kind of thing if there are allegations sexual misconduct, but in this case it's probably because the client is the NRA.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Since the pitchforks are already out, may as well add my two cents here.

Collin Noir and Dana Loesch are symptoms. The problem is the NRAs management.
    If those two were part of an organization that prioritized gun rights over its own politics, we’d see some real good being done.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

If those two were part of an organization that prioritized gun rights over its own politics, we’d see some real good being done.
    Succinct- check. Cogent- check. Good post. Too bad that Pennsylvania lawyer did not get on the board. The management is directionless.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    How about not stupid shit like this. It doesn't matter how true it may be, it doesn't have fuckall to do with what the NRA's mission should be.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2...an-omar/223463
    I watched the clip you linked at Media Matters (liberal hit piece website masquerading as news). Other than a really lousy impersonation of a news anchor what exactly did she say that was so stupid? Far as I could tell she was just retelling what Omar & Trump said.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

They seem to just be symptoms of bad writing. I guess that's an example of NRA's less than ideal management but is pretty far down the list of lousy things the NRA is doing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I watched the clip you linked at Media Matters (liberal hit piece website masquerading as news). Other than a really lousy impersonation of a news anchor what exactly did she say that was so stupid? Far as I could tell she was just retelling what Omar & Trump said.

It's stupid in that it has nothing to do with the 2A, which is the only thing the NRA should be focused on. Gun owners gain nothing from the NRA discussing other issues and only stand to lose support from people who agree about 2A related issues but disagree about something else. People from every walk of life dislike Trump so it's best if his name doesn't even come up unless it has to.

On a state level I'm involved with the WVCDL and we continually kick ass when it comes to gun related legislation. We are successful because we are very, very strictly non-partisan and laser focused on the rights of gun owners. Nothing else is discussed, which means we have plenty of members and allies that aren't Republican or even conservative. The NRA could learn some things from state level groups.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    It's stupid in that it has nothing to do with the 2A, which is the only thing the NRA should be focused on. Gun owners gain nothing from the NRA discussing other issues and only stand to lose support from people who agree about 2A related issues but disagree about something else. People from every walk of life dislike Trump so it's best if his name doesn't even come up unless it has to.

On a state level I'm involved with the WVCDL and we continually kick ass when it comes to gun related legislation. We are successful because we are very, very strictly non-partisan and laser focused on the rights of gun owners. Nothing else is discussed, which means we have plenty of members and allies that aren't Republican or even conservative. The NRA could learn some things from state level groups.
    Gotcha and no argument here then.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I think Colion Noir is a decent advocate, but isn't always my cup of tea.

-Cory
    Pretty much sums up my sentiments. however, I doubt that I am either his or DL's target audience.

One other observation on that subject I would add is that a while back, there was a thread about how the NRA needs appeal to a a bigger tent, i.e. not jut old white guys. Well, more diversity leads to more diversity of opinions and expression there of. Suck it up, buttercups.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 04-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Pretty much sums up my sentiments. however, I doubt that I am either his or DL's target audience.

One other observation on that subject I would add is that a while back, there was a thread about how the NRA needs appeal to a a bigger tent, i.e. not jut old white guys. Well, more diversity leads to more diversity of opinions and expression there of. Suck it up, buttercups.
    Diversity is fine. When Dana or anyone else on NRATV starts talking about any issue other than the 2nd Amendment, they should shut the fuck up. The R stands for Rifle, not Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Diversity is fine. When Dana or anyone else on NRATV starts talking about any issue other than the 2nd Amendment, they should shut the fuck up. The R stands for Rifle, not Republican.
    While I agree that the platform should be used to address subjects that are on topic, I respectfully disagree that stating that a member of a group you are trying to recruit should "shut the fuck up" is an intelligent and productive manner to encourage participation and inclusiveness. We should leave the "circular firing squads" to the other side.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List