Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA, front page WSJ

NRA, front page WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nra-fil...d=hp_lead_pos4

NRA Files Suit Against Ad Agency in Rift With Key Partner
    Gun-rights group accuses Ackerman McQueen of refusing to comply with requests to justify its billings.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Crap. WSJ is behind a paywall. Is the cliff notes version that the majority of the board has decided that Wayne and Chris have rode the gravy train long enough and they've brought litigation?

Snippet:

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit accusing its longtime advertising agency Ackerman McQueen Inc. of refusing to comply with demands to justify its billings, an extraordinary public break with the gun-rights group’s largest outside partner.

The lawsuit, filed late Friday, comes amid an unusual battle unfolding behind the scenes at the NRA’s 76-member board, which some say pits a small group of pro-Ackerman McQueen directors against other board members and an outside NRA attorney.

The dispute in part is about how the NRA, with an annual budget of more than $300 million, is spending money during a period when its finances have been tight. The NRA ran at a deficit in its two most recently reported years.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Crap. WSJ is behind a paywall. Is the cliff notes version that the majority of the board has decided that Wayne and Chris have rode the gravy train long enough and they've brought litigation?
    That isn't even remotely close, nor is it a correct interpretation of what's happening.

For YEARS NRA has been using an agency called Ackerman McQueen to produce a ton of their content. Basically all the super cringe stuff that has come out of NRA in the past 10 years has been from them, from the ridiculous Noir show to all the stupid shit Dana Loesch says. The membership who is aware, as well as a large number of internal NRA employees have been agitating for NRA to cut AckMac loose, and it looks like they're finally doing that.

And the plot thickens...

A contention in the lawsuit includes alleged refusals by Ackerman McQueen to provide a copy of its contract with North, a former official with the Reagan White House who became famous as a result of the Iran-Contra hearings.

Ackerman McQueen, meanwhile, denies the allegations and further questions the NRA hiring outside counsel led by William Brewer — brother-in-law of the current Ackerman McQueen CEO Revan McQueen.

In a lawsuit filed Friday in Alexandria, Virginia, the NRA alleged Ackerman McQueen and its public relations subsidiary Mercury Group unlawfully refused to turn over business records, including budgets and contracts charging the NRA for services. The nonprofit organization argued that it has a legal right to view these documents under the Records-Examination Clause of its contract with Ackerman McQueen.

The relationship between the two entities became contentious as the organization sought to take a closer look at Ackerman McQueen’s activities and spending on NRA advertising and public relations. The NRA, which has reported financial losses the past couple of years and questions of whether it can continue, developed concerns Ackerman McQueen’s expenses needed more oversight.

https://newsok.com/article/5628800/n...kerman-mcqueen
    I believe that one of the wigs at AM is also the father-in-law of NRA's counsel. Gonna be interesting to see if this goes forward as it is. I don't see how it can really...

I wonder if the Board approved the lawsuit. I've always believed the reason for having 76 Board members is so that they can't agree on anything and the Executive Vice President just gets to do whatever he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    And the plot thickens...

I believe that one of the wigs at AM is also the father-in-law of NRA's counsel. Gonna be interesting to see if this goes forward as it is. I don't see how it can really...
    Thats got to make for some awkward holiday dinners.

After reading the article yesterday I had three takeaways: ego, drama, and poor leadership from both organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I wonder if the Board approved the lawsuit. I've always believed the reason for having 76 Board members is so that they can't agree on anything and the Executive Vice President just gets to do whatever he wants.
    One of the side effects of the Cincinnati Revolt was that after becoming EVP, Wayne pulled the ladder all the way back up into the clubhouse just to make sure it couldn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    all the super cringe stuff that has come out of NRA in the past 10 years has been from them, from the ridiculous Noir show to all the stupid shit Dana Loesch says.
    What content would you like to see the NRA put out there, that isn't preaching to the choir?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    What content would you like to see the NRA put out there, that isn't preaching to the choir?
    And I'd kinda like to hear what Noir said that's ridiculous and what Dana has said that's stupid. Both seem pretty solid to me. Opinionated? Yes, but not misleading on anything that I've noticed.

User Tag List