Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: 2019 Glock MOS Pistols-Clean Em Prior To Carrying.

PSA: 2019 Glock MOS Pistols-Clean Em Prior To Carrying.

Heya guys,

I just picked up a new MOS G17.5 pistol starting with serial #BKF . All of the pistols in the case had plastic shavings in the striker channel from either the spring cups or the striker channel liner being inserted into the slide. Anything in the striker channel can and will eventually cause issues and pieces of plastic is a surefire way to end up with a light strike.

Ive never been one to clean a pistol out of the box. I've always taken them to the range, checked for a bore obstruction and started shooting them. If a pistol failed, I would diagnose the why after the fact in the safety of the range or my own home. Given the sheer amount of plastic present in the striker channels, a few seconds cleaning that crud out will probably go a long way to prevent possible heartaches.

Anyone else seen this on new production Glocks? Im not bashing the company or their QC at all as I hardly care as I think the gen 5 is their finest creation to date, I just might change my usual plan of attack and clean out striker channels on new guns from here on out.

Just a little PSA/observation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Heya guys,

I just picked up a new MOS G17.5 pistol starting with serial #BKF . All of the pistols in the case had plastic shavings in the striker channel from either the spring cups or the striker channel liner being inserted into the slide. Anything in the striker channel can and will eventually cause issues and pieces of plastic is a surefire way to end up with a light strike.

Ive never been one to clean a pistol out of the box. I've always taken them to the range, checked for a bore obstruction and started shooting them. If a pistol failed, I would diagnose the why after the fact in the safety of the range or my own home. Given the sheer amount of plastic present in the striker channels, a few seconds cleaning that crud out will probably go a long way to prevent possible heartaches.

Anyone else seen this on new production Glocks? Im not bashing the company or their QC at all as I hardly care as I think the gen 5 is their finest creation to date, I just might change my usual plan of attack and clean out striker channels on new guns from here on out.

Just a little PSA/observation on my part.

I always detail strip, clean and lubricate my pistols before firing them.

Sorry, but... Duh?

Its a good practice to clean and inspect EVERY new gun you get

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post
    Sorry, but... Duh?

Its a good practice to clean and inspect EVERY new gun you get
    Why? Short of a bore obstruction, who cares? Ive never cleaned and inspected any firearm i've ever gotten out of the box, ever. I've never had any issues. Short of a function test, what the hell are you looking for? I don't white glove my gear and I don't give a damn if the barrel isn't perfectly centered in the slide so long as the gun can be zeroed.

Over the last ten years I've purchased 30+ Glocks and never had a single one with any kind of debris in the striker channel from the factory. Ive handled and worked on probably five times that amount. Given my recent observation, I figured I would post about this as a heads up to everyone.

It's just an observation, on a forum, where we share observations. It's also a forum so I cant detect true tone but your "e tone" seems disrespectful.

Why? Short of a bore obstruction, who cares? Ive never cleaned and inspected any firearm i've ever gotten out of the box, ever. I've never had any issues. Short of a function test, what the hell are you looking for? I don't white glove my gear and I don't give a damn if the barrel isn't perfectly centered in the slide so long as the gun can be zeroed.

Over the last ten years I've purchased 30+ Glocks and never had a single one with any kind of debris in the striker channel from the factory. Ive handled and worked on probably five times that amount. Given my recent observation, I figured I would post about this as a heads up to everyone.

It's just an observation, on a forum, where we share observations. It's also a forum so I cant detect true tone but your "e tone" seems disrespectful.
    I lube new guns and shoot.. I would of never thought to check that. I have had issues from basically every major manufacturer now. Colt, bcm, daniel defense, and others... Trust but verify seems to be the new way forward.

Site Supporter

Well... I don't clean before shooting a new gun but I do inspect. Many many moons ago, my department carried 3rd gen S&W 45 ACP pistols. After being inservice for about 3 years a good number of them went tits up during quals. All were having light strikes and did not ignite the rounds. It was revealed that our entire batch of that model had an excessive amount of Li grease in the firing pin channel. Over time it gummed up and caused a failure to fire. Fortunately the problem surfaced during quals and not in a gun fight. Inspection at the time of acquisition would have revealed the presence of the grease and allowed it to be removed before placing the pistols in service. Since then, I routinely check the guts of new pistols. Maybe that's excessive but it is only a little effort for a potentially huge return.
    Last edited by Jason M; 04-16-2019 at 07:08 AM.

When companies assemble their guns often they use a preservative oil and not a lubricating oil. Cleaning the gun before hands lets you remove that preservative and replace it with lubrication. It's not about white gloving it.

Same here, same fine results, almost as many Glocks. Thanks for the heads up!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I didn't mean any disrespect, but its a well known and common practice to strip, clean, and inspect a new firearm

You are placing LOTS of trust in a companies QC department, and from your OP, you got the exact reason why many people don't just load up their guns straight out of the box

I've never stripped a gun before shooting. I perform an applicable function test, lube, and go for it. On a new brand/type of gun, I won't consider myself an expert on the system either. There's no saying I'll put it back together better than the factory assembled it, so I leave it alone.

Do you guys strip down your new AR before shooting it? Like, take apart the FCG, or the BCG? I sure don't and I don't know many people that do. Rifles get a pass and pistols, don't?
    Last edited by theJanitor; 04-16-2019 at 06:46 PM.

User Tag List