Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady Measure - Extra Spring

Midsouth has a kit with a case activated powder drop, powder measure and powder hopper with a pistol rotor for ~$135.

I've been saving up for this. I ran it by some LNL guys and they echo'd the deal, ease of buying from one seller. I looked and couldn't beat it even on eBay.

I have not had an issue with my LNL powder drop unit hanging up.
    Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
    Midsouth has a kit with a case activated powder drop, powder measure and powder hopper with a pistol rotor for ~$135.
    That is a good deal with an included pistol rotor!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
    I have not had an issue with my LNL powder drop unit hanging up.
    Just saying...
    I didn't until I did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I've thought about going this route a zillion times. There are definite advantages and the Hornady measure is the one thing I miss from when I was loading on a LNL AP (yes, I made that mistake thinking I would get 5 station 650 performance for 550 money).

So what was the problems you had with the LNL?

I'm giving it a hard look right now or go with the Dillon 750. I have the lee breech lock pro and I'm not impressed with the priming to day the least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    So what was the problems you had with the LNL?

I'm giving it a hard look right now or go with the Dillon 750. I have the lee breech lock pro and I'm not impressed with the priming to day the least.

Stop looking and go Dillon.

My LNL AP wouldn't seat large primers and really struggled with small. I tried every hack there was to find on the internet and Hornady sent me a new parts which actually made it worse. There was really nothing defective, it was just not a good manufacturing design. The priming punch interfaced with a rough cast surface on the housing that had a casting draft angle and wasn't flat so it deflected but that was pretty minor. The real problem was the ram and linkage is so big and the links so damn wide that the whole thing recoiled around the axis of the ram when seating a primer. The handle is far enough off the centerline that it has too much leverage and just twists everything around that axis instead of applying enough force to the primer punch.

Another thing was the case feeder was nothing short of a dumpster fire. It was made out of thin kydex like material and was really cheap and flimsy, but I think this has been fixed. The newer versions are much heavier and look a lot like a Dillon. They also made the case funnel flat across the front instead of conical like Dillons. The damn thing rained more brass down on my head than it got into the feed tube because of clogging. Also the case insertion assembly had no "neutral". Meaning that once you had it going there was no way to turn it off without removing a piece of it which blew one its adjustments and had to be readjusted. Very disappointing.

Overall the build quality was drastically better on the Dillon in every respect. I'll give Hornady customer service credit though, they did try but I wasn't going to pack it up and send it back for repair which was the only next step. It wasn't broken or worn, it had less than 2000 rounds loaded on it. I sold it with full disclosure. Also Hornady's customer service phone message is hilarious. Everyone should call it!

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the reply.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Stop looking and go Dillon.

My LNL AP wouldn't seat large primers and really struggled with small. I tried every hack there was to find on the internet and Hornady sent me a new parts which actually made it worse. There was really nothing defective, it was just not a good manufacturing design. The priming punch interfaced with a rough cast surface on the housing that had a casting draft angle and wasn't flat so it deflected but that was pretty minor. The real problem was the ram and linkage is so big and the links so damn wide that the whole thing recoiled around the axis of the ram when seating a primer. The handle is far enough off the centerline that it has too much leverage and just twists everything around that axis instead of applying enough force to the primer punch.

Another thing was the case feeder was nothing short of a dumpster fire. It was made out of thin kydex like material and was really cheap and flimsy, but I think this has been fixed. The newer versions are much heavier and look a lot like a Dillon. They also made the case funnel flat across the front instead of conical like Dillons. The damn thing rained more brass down on my head than it got into the feed tube because of clogging. Also the case insertion assembly had no "neutral". Meaning that once you had it going there was no way to turn it off without removing a piece of it which blew one its adjustments and had to be readjusted. Very disappointing.

Overall the build quality was drastically better on the Dillon in every respect. I'll give Hornady customer service credit though, they did try but I wasn't going to pack it up and send it back for repair which was the only next step. It wasn't broken or worn, it had less than 2000 rounds loaded on it. I sold it with full disclosure. Also Hornady's customer service phone message is hilarious. Everyone should call it!

I walked away from Hornady LNL AP as well - the ammo wasn't consistent in OAL as my old Lee products were, and nowhere near as consistent as a Dillon 650 or 1050 would make them. The walking point for me though was part availability. The press ran damn smooth with the plate indexing 1/2 way with the ram going up and down, but that was also another failure point. I never had reliability issues with the press running, but the end product wasn't what I had hoped for and customer support was horrible. I do like their seating dies quite a bit, and the micrometer add-on makes them super simple to work with as well.

I wanted to make a brass feeder, and I wasn't inspired by the home brew parts for the press/brass feeding part of things. Hornady refused to sell those parts, with a blatant offer to purchase, and with the sob story of a .mil guy who lost some shit in a PCS move (kinda true).

Dillon will sell you anything you want, and if you don't know the p/n they'll find it for you. They were wonderful to work with over the phone, and their warranty program really is no bullshit (except for commercial loading products like the 1050, which is understandable to me).
    Last edited by jeep45238; 01-02-2020 at 07:24 AM.

@jeep45238, Dillon even told me the grade and heat treat condition of their powder funnels. I called to ask if the heat from having them PVD coated would mess with them. No problem he said, then he got up from his desk and went to the manufacturing dept. to find out. They are hardened tool steel at about 58 rockwell, so pretty close to a file. No issues with having them coated.

User Tag List