Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Measure - Extra Spring

Hornady Measure - Extra Spring

One of the things I do not love about the Dillon equipment I love is the powder measure. I don't like the shape and orientation of the cavity, a cylinder inline with the flow just seems better. I will admit this is probably just an emotional hunch on my part and I am sure scads of accurate testing has been done that proves I am full of crap, but I have my feelings. I also think that flaring the case with the powder measure is clunky. So I got a couple of the Hornady measures like they use on the Lock and Load:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I loaded probably 8k-10k rounds and was perfectly happy, then the thing started sticking in the up position and I ended up with a number of squibs. A little research showed this is not uncommon, and a more regular schedule of cleaning and lubrication (with something dry, like their One Shot) is required to keep this from happening (and I understand the supplied Dillon measure is specifically set up to eliminate this possibility, I know, I know...).

But the root cause is the spring setup is goofy, pulling on it sideways:
    Name:  Sideways.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  14.8 KB
    So I ordered some spacers and longer screws from McMaster and two identical springs:
    Name:  Hornady Measure.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  58.4 KB
    I have only done another 2k with the tweak but it is essentially twice as much force pulling on it directly inline with the travel.

This obviously would be a good change for the folks actually using the Lock and Load, or any other goof balls like me using it on a Dillon. I bought packages of the screws, washers, nuts and spacers that I could karma, and can provide the part number for the springs.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-14-2019 at 08:09 AM.

I have been playing with a 223 based wildcat called the 277 Wolverine. It is somewhat like the 300 Blackout in concept but uses a 6.8 bullet instead of a 7.62 bullet.

Anyway, the Dillon powder funnel for the 6.8 SPC is close but not perfect. My solution was to buy the Lee Auto Drum measure. The Auto Drum has worked surprisingly well and throws a consistent and accurate charge even with the few extruded powders I've tried. The measure will leak a little around the drum with very fine ball powders but I think that's mostly a matter of figuring out how much to tighten the finger nut that holds the drum in place.

Possibly the best thing about the Lee is the price. The Auto Drum is cheap enough it should be possible to buy one for each tool head and just leave it dedicated to the various cartridges.

One down side is the plastic hopper. It is fairly small and holds about a half pound of powder. Not a big deal when loading handgun but half a pound doesn't last long when loading rifle. A good upgrade is the Pyrex hopper from Dramworx.

I hope you don't mind me drifting the thread. Just wanting to give an opinion on other options out there. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I hope you don't mind me drifting the thread. Just wanting to give an opinion on other options out there.
    Don't mind at all. I am curious about the Lee measure as well, interesting that it has been accurate.
    Though it is still relying on the chain for return. The secondary advantage of the Hornady is I moved it over one station so I could put a Lee flare tool in the station the Dillon (and Lee) powder measure would require.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Though it is still relying on the chain for return.
    No chain required for the Auto Drum. The dispenser is case activated and has a big strong spring around the hopper mechanism. When the case is lowered the spring resets the dispenser.

There is a bit of linkage that keeps the measure from fully resetting fully but the linkage can be removed so that the Auto Drum is completely automatic.

https://youtu.be/ibWOwakcWx8

I haven't had problems with mine sticking (Hornady press, not that that difference actually matters), but that still looks like a pretty good idea.

I've thought about going this route a zillion times. There are definite advantages and the Hornady measure is the one thing I miss from when I was loading on a LNL AP (yes, I made that mistake thinking I would get 5 station 650 performance for 550 money).

If you aren't already doing it, just buy a metering insert for each caliber. The quick change makes it easy to just pop in a preset insert and you can keep then stored in your die boxes for each caliber. They are cheap enough that you won't break the bank doing this.

Moving the PM to station 3 would let me expand with a Lyman M die in #2 but I haven't jumped off and done this yet because I keep thinking I'll add a Mr. Bullet feeder.

This mod looks good. Though I never had an issue on my LNL AP it looks worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I've thought about going this route a zillion times. There are definite advantages
    If you aren't already doing it, just buy a metering insert for each caliber.
    So far I have been splurging and getting a Hornady measure for 9mm, 223 and 300BO. I still have a handful of Dillon measures and may or may not replace them for my lower volume cartridges. Of course, my aspiration here is someday my lower volume cartridges become higher volume...

Moving the PM to station 3 would let me expand with a Lyman M die in #2
    Yes, I have been using the Lee expander for 9mm. On rifle you don't have that issue.

I haven't jumped off and done this yet because I keep thinking I'll add a Mr. Bullet feeder.
    Yeah, I wonder about that myself, and then I get realistic about my current actual volume.

This mod looks good. Though I never had an issue on my LNL AP it looks worth doing.
    If I had been a little more conscientious about cleaning and lubricating it as recommended I woulda never had a problem. But once I did it forced me to take a closer look and am much more confident in this setup, it is (maybe more than) twice as much force, all on the same axis.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-03-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    ....all on the same axis.
    That right there is the key I think.

That right there is the key I think.
    I experimented initially with just a little piece of shock cord tied to the metering insert and that worked great, but nothing I would be as confident. It would probably work fine with most powders with NO springs, maybe if it was a little heavier.

User Tag List