Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should off duty police be subject to the same gun laws as the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    On the other hand, there seem to be at least a few here who revel in unilaterally creating and feeding "us vs. them" controversies.

Go figure.
    Because that is exactly what gun control is about. The us vs. them mentality that only agent of the government should be able to keep and bear arms.

Luckily for me I live in a constitutional carry state but I do remember the utter disgust expressed by some of the older cops when my state restored 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Because that is exactly what gun control is about. The us vs. them mentality that only agent of the government should be able to keep and bear arms.

Luckily for me I live in a constitutional carry state but I do remember the utter disgust expressed by some of the older cops when my state restored 2A rights.
    Okay, so now I see what's at the heart of this. Some LEOs in your area were against restoring 2A rights. Therefore, LEOs are at the heart of the problem somehow.

Sure, there are plenty of LEOs, especially administrators, (politicians), that are not pro 2A. My mistake is that I thought we were talking about the kind of LEOs that populate this particular arena. I don't have the numbers to tell you what the percentages are pro or anti.

I still say it's the legislators and the judiciary that carry the burden here. The police don't make the laws though they may lobby for a particular agenda.

In any case, this is not an us vs. them dilemma. It's a matter to be handled in the legislature and the courts...at the federal, state and local levels. The cops are not the bad guys here.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Actually I think .MIL Officers and SNCOs should be issued a side arm and allowed to carry it 24/7 in the U.S.

Every state I am aware of has exceptions for military members to possess and carry firearms if authorized on their orders. The reason you don’t see it outside Special Mission Units is most commanders don’t trust their troops. I can see not trusting a 19 year old E-3 but if you can’t trust your career senior leaders you have bigger problems.
    Not to get off on a crazy tangent, I like this idea but I have also seen some stupidity of epic proportions with sidearms by upper echelon, (I say that having been a Senior NCO). Guess I'm trying to say this would be great so long as qualifications, and gun handling standards are in place to include training to remind us we're not the police/lay out some kind of effective ROE. It could get dicey and someone could step on their crank pretty easy but over all I really do like this idea.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    .MIL Officers and SNCOs should be issued a side arm
    Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I can't have been the only person here who remembers going to M9 quals and having to witness the proficiency of commissioned officers, warrants, and senior sergeants.

That aside, I think there'd need to be the introduction of whatever training and publications already exist for off-duty carry in the military but usually isn't seen by the regular units.

I'm reminded of Jeff Gonzales' introductory spiel to how he had a hand in developing programming for guys doing covert carry overseas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I can't have been the only person here who remembers going to M9 quals and having to witness the proficiency of commissioned officers, warrants, and senior sergeants.

That aside, I think there'd need to be the introduction of whatever training and publications already exist for off-duty carry in the military but usually isn't seen by the regular units.

I'm reminded of Jeff Gonzales' introductory spiel to how he had a hand in developing programming for guys doing covert carry overseas.
    That is mostly the result of pistols being an afterthought and it a training priority. The USAF actually uses pistols more than other services and as a consequence does a better job of pistol training than other services, at least for general purpose forces.

Yes, they should subject to the same restrictions. But that's an argument for loosening restrictions on non-LE, not increasing restrictions on LE.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 04-13-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No difference in my state, assuming you have a license to carry a handgun.
    Do "prohibited places" for carry permit holders also apply to off-duty officers in your state, then? As far as I understand, that's not how it works in most places, but I admit to not having thoroughly researched it, as I'm more concerned with what I'm allowed to do than what off-duty cops are allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Yes, they should subject to the same restrictions. But that's an argument for loosening restrictions on non-LE, not increasing restrictions on LE.
    That is pretty much where I was going with this thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Should off duty police be subject to the same gun laws as non-LE people?
    Just like off duty soldiers are?
    Yes. In fact on duty police should be subject to the same gun laws as all citizens are.
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-13-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Okay, so now I see what's at the heart of this. Some LEOs in your area were against restoring 2A rights. Therefore, LEOs are at the heart of the problem somehow.
    Is this not the exact same attitude that many in government have towards the gun owning public? Because some people can't be trusted with weapons then NOBODY should have them except us.

Again, I live in a constitutional carry state where everyone can freely go about his business armed. It has been a number of years since the law changed and most cops here have adjusted to it but I do see what is happening in other states.

User Tag List