Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slim Pistol Preferences

To the OP how will it be carried? Will pocket ever be an option? If pocket what type of pants? Smart Carry? As an example if it was only for belt carry I would not consider a Kahr or LCP. For pocket only those examples might be top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Do you have a source for that information? If Sig is really putting out revised significant parts (slide, RSA, etc) there sure as heck hasn't been any public announcement of that. I'd love to know if the one I own is "up to snuff" without having to ship it back to Sig (again).
    Don't expect any announcements from Sig or any other maker, they will not publicize this unless it is a serious safety flaw like the drop issue. They just quietly make updates behind the scenes, in order to avoid losing sales.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Do you have a source for that information? If Sig is really putting out revised significant parts (slide, RSA, etc) there sure as heck hasn't been any public announcement of that. I'd love to know if the one I own is "up to snuff" without having to ship it back to Sig (again).
    They generally don't replace an older version unless you're having a problem. The revisions seem to be more about making sure they can crank them out in mass production while having fewer issues along the way.

They started phasing in the revised striker in early June (6th is the first I've seen). By June 10, all new p365s seem to have the new version. Note that the striker failures were because of a bad MIM batch in March-April 2018 (+ a couple in May) and not from a bad design. Still, the newer striker design has an increased radius which puts slightly less stress on the firing pin shaft:

The slide has a number stamped onto the underside of it:

Name:  20190402_150451-1.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  74.7 KB

0018-16 was in February 2018
    0018-18 was in March 2018
    0018-19 was March-July 2018
    0018-20 was May 18-Feb 19
    0018-21 started around Jan 2019
    You can see there are some months with overlap...

Older recoil spring assembly:

Newest and 2nd most recent RSAs:
    Name:  20190408_230154.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  60.3 KB

Jan-Feb, 12 2018 reportedly had a 19# recoil spring. 13 inner coils, 12 outer coils
    February 13, 2018 reportedly switched to a 20# recoil spring to help with RTB issues. 13 inner coils, 11 outer coils
    May 2018: 12 inner coils, 11 outer. PN 1805110804 Barcode 7 98681 59182 4
    October-January?: 13 inner, 12 outer PN 1810151216 Barcode 7 98681 59399 6
    April 2019: 12 inner, 11 outer PN 1903070553 Barcode 7 98681 59399 6

Note that Oct-Jan RSAs have the same # of coils as the very first P365s. They also started having some return to battery failures during break-in again, so it looks like they switched back to the # of coils they were using in May (which feels stiffer to me, but I don't have a way of measuring). The guide rod has changed slightly along the way too.

They are also playing around with the feed ramp, but this is a case where the old version seems to be better (the new version is tapered and sometimes has issues with 147gr hollowpoints). And they are still producing the wide and tapered feed ramp on current guns:

Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-14-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    What's your slim pistol of choice and why? What hasn't worked for you? If you were buying a 9x19 or 380 Auto semi-auto (not revolver) tomorrow, what NOT Glock / NOT P238 slim pistol would you buy?
    PPS or Shield 2.0
    Last edited by ST911; 04-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

KelTec P32. I know... I know... "KelTec" "32"

If you need the slimmest, lightest semi-auto that isn't a .22, this is your huckleberry...

Yes - it is a compromise. Yes - it is limited.

The upsides: small, light, has sights and is reasonably accurate. Shoot the MF'r in the eye...

http://instagram.com/p/BqqNXj7Hn4M/

On a recommendation, picked up a used P32 “pocket gun”... at 9.6oz with 8rds of “manstopper” 32ACP, there really isn’t ever any reason why I should leave the house unarmed... The cerakoting was done by the previous owner and it is wearing off a bit, so I just took a sharpie to the sights (used a silver one to make a “dot”) and fired a 7yd (upper cluster of 6) and a 10yd group (lower cluster of 6) before wasting 200rds of ammo to check reliability (worked alright). This isn’t a bullseye gun, but I can make those hits with the diminutive sights. Impressed. It adds layers to an overall defense strategy and fills the bill when a Beretta 92 is impossible to tote.
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 04-14-2019 at 10:17 AM.

At some point in my career, I've had and carried a Sig P938, Shield 9mm, Shield 9mm 2.0, Walther PPS, S&W 3913, and a Glock 42/43. The only one that has stuck around is the Shield (I gave the 2.0 to my father in law who loves it and carries it everyday everywhere). I'd get a Walther again as the only reason that went away is the department I worked for wouldn't authorize me to carry it off duty. Right now, I'm carrying the Shield 9mm and loving it. I thought about the P365, but the cost of getting outfitted (gun, IWB holster, extra mags, mag carrier, etc totals about $800) made it not worth the extra rounds I'd get.

So my list would be
    Shield 9mm/Shield 2.0
    Walther PPS (either version, but I preferred the Gen 1)
    SW 3913 (Had one a long time ago and it was sweet, should have never sold it)
    Sig P938
    Sig P365
    Glock 42/43

Site Supporter
    I have a 3913 and 3953. They are great guns.

I have a P32. It has never had a problem save some hard primers it couldn’t manage. As @LesPepperoni said, it removes all excuses for being unarmed due to “my gun is too big/heavy.”

I have a pair of G42s, his and hers. I know you said “NOT Glock” but seriously, why? These are great little guns. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot for every person I’ve had try one, and only a little bigger/heavier than the P32.

All that said, I usually carry a G26. I carry it in preference to the S&W 39xx series guns I have because the grip is shorter so it conceals better, and I don’t pinch my pinkie on reloads, where that did happen sometimes with the 39xx guns. 11 or 13 rounds on-board, plus 15 or 17 in the spare magazine, in a gun that weighs less, seems a better place to start than 9 on-board +however many of those slender 8 round mags I want to pocket. Getting any needed part to repair it, cheaply and from multiple sources, seems better than the scrounging I’ve had to do to make sure I have spare parts for the 39xx.

I only carry the smaller guns over the 26 when the 26 is “too big/too heavy” for the attire or activities of the day. Sometimes one of them rides along as a backup, though. Before I got the 26, the 3913 was the primary, with the same small guns plus a 642 I rarely use anymore.

I despise the Shield, whether 9 or .40. I only had mine for 3 weeks before I got rid of it. I know many people love them.

A friend has a PPS and loves it. Others have G43s and love them. They seem fine, but the G42 is easier to shoot.

My reason for "not Glock" is based around my experience with the G43. I could never seem to index it properly out of the holster and it always felt like it was squirting around in my hand when shooting.

Primary purpose for this would be soft NPE / work carry, in a kydex holster of some sort or pocket holster. I'm happy with my P226/9 for 95% of my carry needs but there have been sometimes lately where a slimmer gun is needed to keep from looking like my P229 is a colostomy bag under my shirt.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    I had a PPS M1 for 3 years. I loved it and trusted it completely, it never failed me once, but I was never fast with the magazine release and my mom needed a reliable carry gun, so I gifted it to her. I know she's got a good gun with a good holster now, and she's unlikely to be fast enough for a combat reload anyway, though I did give her all the magazines for it.

I then had a Shield Gen 1. Liked it just fine, sold it for the next flavor of the month, a Glock 43 that I carried for about a year.

While I liked the 43 fine, I realized I missed the Shield, and along with my newfound love for the M2.0 series M&Ps, I transitioned back to a Shield M2.0 9mm with night sights to round out my consistent system of M2.0 9mm fullsize for home, 9mm compact for work and travel, and Shield 9mm for EDC. I use 147-grain Federal P9HST2 HST standard-pressure 9mm in all of them.

I have nothing bad at all to say about the night sight equipped Shield M2.0 and I won't be transitioning again.

I also have a tan "desert" cerakoted Ruger LCP in .380 and an older black LCP that I retired and store as a backup since it was running up in round count and you could see the frame wear. Stocked with normal American Eagle ball ammo and used for non-permissive environments and very light clothing. I don't carry it often but it's a great niche gun, very reliable and powerful for the size as a last-ditch point blank option when I can't carry anything else.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-14-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Right now my "slim & light" gun is an alloy-framed Sig P230. You get the benefits of DA/SA and intuitive accuracy with the fixed barrel setup. It spends most of its time in my glove box, but it rides nicely in a cheapo IWB holster at around 12:00. It's light enough that I've actually carried it in gym shorts (taught drawstring, clip holster).

Admittedly, I haven't shot it a ton... but it's never had an issue in the 2 - 300 rounds I've put through it. I'm not sure I'd trust it 100% with JHPs (esp. with the alloy feed ramp)... that said, it's managed a few mags of JHP just fine.

User Tag List