Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slim Pistol Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    The G43 I had I felt I didn't shoot well because I couldn't grip it well. It always felt like it was squirting out of my hand. k
    Two things greatly improved my grip on my G42: Rubber Talon grips, and using finger-rest baseplates or GeePlates.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a Sig shooter, DA/SA P226/9, so I'm not a hater but definitely skeptical of the product they're currently putting to market. I know a lot of happy P320 shooters who think my skepticism is me being paranoid.

The G43 I had I felt I didn't shoot well because I couldn't grip it well. It always felt like it was squirting out of my hand. I felt the same way with the LCP. I also have little hands; if I were to buy Mechanix gloves, I'd buy a small.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I had a G43 but it was definitely hard to hand on to with my XL hands. The rubber Talon grips were a large improvement but it was still a bit too small for me to really control the gun like I wanted. I really like the G42. It’s small but has almost no recoil. It’s replaced my 642 as a pocket gun.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a Sig shooter, DA/SA P226/9, so I'm not a hater but definitely skeptical of the product they're currently putting to market. I know a lot of happy P320 shooters who think my skepticism is me being paranoid.

The G43 I had I felt I didn't shoot well because I couldn't grip it well. It always felt like it was squirting out of my hand. I felt the same way with the LCP. I also have little hands; if I were to buy Mechanix gloves, I'd buy a small.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    The LCP 2 has a very good trigger, decent sights(a dab of orange paint does wonders) and is snag free for pocket use. It draws nearly as well as a 442.

I got the Hogue grip adapter that really tames the recoil and gives an excellent grip, countering the little gun's torque.

It holds 7 or 8 XTPs. I can carry it in my jeans unlike, well, any other gun. Firing deliberately, I can put the magazine into a paper plate at 15 yards.

Mine has been reliable through the vetting period with nearly 500 rounds. 200 of those were Fiocchi XTP. I even carry a spare mag in an Ammo Armor cassette.

It's where the lines cross in a smaller than compact gun for me. Plus, it's cheap enough to buy 2!

Ruger SR9c

It wasn't long after the Ruger SR9c came out that I purchased one. For a striker-fired pistol the trigger pull wasn't bad at all. It was accurate too. I would get occasional light strikes. Called Ruger and they said use different ammo and see what happens. Well I lost faith in the pistol so carrying it for self-defense was not in the cards. Size-wise, I really like the pistol.

I love my P365. I bought an early model with the mindset that I was perfectly happy to be a beta tester as long as Sig stood behind the product. They have - mine went back once right away for extraction issues. Sig fixed it and I shot 6,000 rounds before noticing some primer gas cutting on the slide. They replaced the slide and it is now shooting better than ever. Total round count on the frame/striker/barrel is now over 8,000.

But I also came from a Kahr. I actually bought my Pm9 from someone who was having malfunctions and all but gave it away. I replaced the stock plastic followers with lakeline aluminum ones and just let the pm9's feed ramp beat the aluminum followers enough to get the right clearance. 200 rounds later, it functioned perfectly. Kahr finally revised their followers and feed ramp so new PM9s are quite reliable (not sure about the PM40 or p380).

Sig has been much more active with their revisions. They're on the 4th slide, 4th or 5th recoil spring, 2nd striker, etc. The catestrophic failures - broken striker, dislodged trigger springs - haven't been an issues since June 2018. But there still are some minor QC issues: they're now using 2 different suppliers for night sights, and 1 of them sometimes goes dim (many aftermarket night sights also go dim - the high slide velocity kills all but the best tritium vials). They also occasionally need to be broken in for 200-500 rounds (the slide revisions have gradually made this less of an issue). And somewhat rarely, they'll release a slide or barrel with cosmetic finish imperfections. When you hear about all of the issues, just keep in mind there were ~300,000 made in the first year. It was a wildly popuoar gun and the percent with issues is low.

I think the new ones are as good to go as your average new gun, but in a year they will probably be even better. Of course, the ones a year affer that should be even better. And the year after that, the next great thing may be out...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-13-2019 at 10:48 PM.

I recently bought a well-preserved S&W 3913 TSW. I had previously used DA/SA autos, in the early-/mid-Nineties, including an original 3913. The high bore axis might mean this will be a lefty-only gun, for me. (My right hand and wrist have not aged as well as my left.) I am not sure that this one is smaller enough than the G19x to matter, in concealability. Finding a top-tier holster to fit this one, with the rail, is not so easy, as as holster science affects the concealability equation, I might be better off with the G19x in a better holster. Factory support is probably nil. I ordered replacement springs, including the rare trigger play spring.

I have recently been on the lookout for a well-preserved, original-version 9mm Walther PPS. (Pre-push-button mag release.) I like the paddle mag release. I have only found .40 S&W samples, thus far.

I know that the OP specified non-Glock, but, well, G42. My actual, tentative choice for orthopedic/old man pistol. Yes, .380 ACP. Compact pistols are not easy on aging, gimpy hands. I have, otherwise, gravitated toward full-sized-grip 9mm Glock and all-steel full-sized .45 ACP 1911 autos. (And, revolvers.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-14-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I’ve had a G43, an LC9 (wife’s gun), a PM9, a K9, 2 different CW9s cut to take PM9 mags and 2 Walther PPSM2s. The PPSM2 is my favorite.

None of my Kahrs had malfunction problems.

My PPSM2 w/ Shield RMSc is one of my all time favorite pistols. Shoots like a dream. I bought a second one to use as a backup gun sans Shield. For the money they’re hard to beat. Both of mine have been back for the recall. Took less than a week. I was happy w/ how Walther handled the recall.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I accumulated a few of the slim guns. The 43 is the one that worked the best for me. I really like the P938, and it is noticeably smaller. The 43 might be a little bigger, but shoots like it’s a lot bigger, especially with the addition of a Gee Plate.

I still have my PM9 leftover from when it was an authorized BUG/off-duty for us. I bought it specifically as an ankle gun when the only other authorized options were the Kahr P9, M&P Compact, P239, and Glock 26. It served me well and never malfunctioned, but I wouldn't recommend one over anything else unless you were specifically looking for as small a 9mm as possible. It's quite a bit smaller than the Shield or PPS...….it's fighting in the 380 pocket pistol weight class, if that makes sense.

I used to own a 1st Gen PPS and loved it. I couldn't justify carrying a slim pistol though, as I could and still can conceal a double-stack compact (Glock 19, HK P2000, etc) just as well and just as comfortably.

If I were to go that route again, it'd be a toss-up between the Shield and PPS Gen 2. I'd probably buy based on the best deal I could find, or if one came with an assortment of great quality holsters I'd be likely to buy (JMCK, 5-Shot, TT Gunleather, etc)
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I love my P365. ... SNIP ...

Sig has been much more active with their revisions. They're on the 4th slide, 4th or 5th recoil spring, 2nd striker, etc. The catestrophic failures - broken striker, dislodged trigger springs - haven't been an issues since June 2018.
    Do you have a source for that information? If Sig is really putting out revised significant parts (slide, RSA, etc) there sure as heck hasn't been any public announcement of that. I'd love to know if the one I own is "up to snuff" without having to ship it back to Sig (again).

User Tag List