Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Slim Pistol Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I have a K9 and a CW9. I prefer the K9 for nearly everything except as an on-duty BUG on my vest. Even though it is heavier, the K9 is more refined than the CW9 in almost every way.

What about compared to other polymer single stacks? I know @taadski was testing out a P9 at one time as a bug but I don't think it was an off duty carry for him.

Maybe I just want to have my cake and eat it too? I love the idea of an easy to carry 8-10 round pistol that I shoot as well as a Glock 17. In reality, I shoot them as would be expected. Somewhere between a j frame and a Glock 19.

Site Supporter
    The only single stacks I shot as well (or to be honest a little better) than modern wonder-nines were the full size ones like the HK P9S & P7, S&W 3900 series, 1911’s and so forth. I think GreggW hit the nail on the head about having your cake and eating it too, there is a point in size where shootability starts to suffer.

I just registered so I could reply here. So howdy!

I recently handled and dry-fired the new Kimber EVO SP, which is an all-metal striker fired single-stack small pistol in 9mm Para. I like it. Want it, although the price tag is at least twice what a bare-bones Shield is.

I sold my Performance Center Shield to buy the PPS M2 with the reflex sight. I don't regret that.

I have a P365 and like it, but am not sure I will keep it. It has a very nice trigger and the sights are top-notch, but it is not easy for me to release the magazine in a hurry. With the 365 the mag release button is a bit too much hidden and protected. And something else - with both the P365 and the G43 the frame is soft enough that I often have a problem when pressing the mag release. The grip squeezes inward and the magazine is trapped only part way out. This never happens with the Walther PPS M2.

I'm more or less settling on the PPS M2 as my preferred dinky 9mm Para pistol. I may buy another, one without the reflex sight.

Nobody has mentioned that Mossberg has just released a pistol in this size and caliber. Polymer, striker, nothing really new but the reviews are very favorable. I am eager to find one at a shop, for fondling - err - evaluation purposes.

Bart Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Concerning the USP .45 C:

While that seems particularly true, especially with the context of the P365's magazine design, you have to remember that this pistol comes from the mid 90's and also, based on the three I have owned (still have two), they ALWAYS go *bang*.

Of all of my pistols, if I had to absolutely bet the farm that the gun would run, no matter what, these would be the ones.
    Have to agree completely, if there is one pistol series that has that honor IMO it is the USP series as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    What about compared to other polymer single stacks? I know @taadski was testing out a P9 at one time as a bug but I don't think it was an off duty carry for him.

Maybe I just want to have my cake and eat it too? I love the idea of an easy to carry 8-10 round pistol that I shoot as well as a Glock 17. In reality, I shoot them as would be expected. Somewhere between a j frame and a Glock 19.
    The only other poly SS I have any time on is my wife's PPS M2, but I've only shot a couple of magazines through it.

Understand that I have small hands and like DAO triggers, so my experience are going to be the opposite of someone with XL sized mitts.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I have not had a very good experience with the USP Compact. In fact, mine actual spit the sear spring out onto the shooting bench, when I racked the slide to clear the round which it would not fire.

I had it fixed by my gunsmith (Why didn't ginsmith auto-correct to gunsmith? Is there such a thing as a ginsmith? Does a new career field beckon?). The reputation of HK being what it is for customer service, I just paid to get a new spring installed. We were not sure if the old spring had a problem that could make it fall out.

Then I sold it. Perhaps the LEM version is not as robust as the others, but I had lost faith in it.

Bart Noir

A Sig 239 SAS and a S&W 3913 LS are my main "slim" carry pistols at the moment. Very similar to each other in size and controls.

Both are out of print, sadly, but I still like them a lot. Used to regularly carry an H&K P7, but its been a while since it left the safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter

1911-esque carry 9s?

Is anybody carrying compact 9mm "1911s"?

STI Staccato C
    Ed Brown KC9
    S&W 3" Pro Series
    Wilson EDC series
    Sig Ultra 9mm.

I know shorty 1911s get a bad rap. But, when you have a: ramped barrel, external extractor and a redesigned magazine in a completely different caliber.... does it make sense to judge it as a 1911? In terms of feeding/extraction, are we functionally closer to a 3913?

Like many, I want a slender 9mm that's comfortable inside the waistband... but I also want a nice, crisp trigger that's conducive to precise shooting. If those are your needs, nothing currently in production delivers--except something 1911ish. The question is reliability (and condition 1 carry). Though from some reviews I've seen, I'm wondering if this new crop of 9mm SAO shorties are good to go. That Smith Pro is sharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpFWhScFl8&t=223s

Oh... and I guess the Staccato C has an internal extractor
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you're putting an S&W on that list, might as well have the Springfield EMP.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you're putting an S&W on that list, might as well have the Springfield EMP.
    True. But it's been around for a while. And it never seems to get glowing reviews in the reliability department. Though I can't say I've kept up, over the years.

Haven't read a negative review yet, about that Smith. My logic (perhaps flawed) is... if Smith can make 3913s with external extractors run... why not this?

User Tag List