Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Medicine - Input Needed

Bear Medicine - Input Needed

Having read the previous threads by GJM et. al., I have a question regarding a specific situation. Heading to black bear country next week (kind of a surprise trip). For various logistical reasons, my Shockwave is going with me for both bear protection in the back country and on the road as well. Also will be bringing a pistol. Two questions.

1. What load for the Shockwave? My main choices are Federal low recoil FC 8 pellet 00; Federal low recoil slugs; Federal 9 pellet 00 full power. Note that I do not have a ton of rounds through the Shockwave so there is that to consider in terms of getting good hits on a bear.

2. What pistol? The lone .40 in the stable is a G35 which I will tote if the consensus here is that the extra penetration is worth the extra size and weight. Other options are G26, G19X, or the G35 with a KKM 9mm barrel. Load for the 9mm would be Federal HST (unless FMJ for penetration would be better). I am pretty sure I can tolerate the G35 AIWB for the 20 hour round trip driving, but the G26 would be a bit more accommodating.

I am not super freaked out by the prospect of bumping into a black bear, but bears are something that are new to me. I plan to hang my food away from camp, etc. The other thing I am contemplating that ya’ll might be able to help with is, would a “warning shot” for bears be a good idea if cicumstances permit? Also, do bears become more active at night? I know I could round a corner on a trail during the day and bump into one, but in terms of one wandering into camp at night, is that a pretty good possibility? Again, assuming I am not leaving food in camp and will do my cooking and eating elsewhere as well.

Thanks in advance.

Banned

UDAP was developed by a guy who survived a grizzly bear attack. It's saltier than a PF mod

I live in Colorado Springs and you just about can't throw a rock in this town without hitting a bear

Bears are mostly active at sunrise and sunset and they don't want any more to do with you that you want to do with them. They will smell you coming and get out of your way.
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-13-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Bear Medicine - Input Needed

Black bears are dangerous, and there have been cases of unprovoked predatory attacks on humans. I am always armed when I’m in bear country, but my loadout is different if there are no grizzlies.
    I have had some exciting experiences with black bears. Fortunately I have not had to shoot one. I did fire a warning shot when an angry bear was trashing my campsite. Recently I had a close encounter with a big mom and two cubs in Montana. The other bear encounters were resolved with rocks, noise, and patience.

My understanding is that unlike grizzlies, black bears will typically run if shot by any caliber. I carry my standard 9mm self defense load, HST 147.

I consider human predators a greater threat than black bears or cougars, so my choice is based on that as well.

Bears often come at night, so a gun-mounted light is a good idea.

I’m not a big fan of the Shockwave. I’d rather have a long gun that I can shoot well at 25+ yds. If you’re confident with your Shockwave, that’s great. I usually bring an AR, which would be acceptable defense against a black bear.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Having read the previous threads by GJM et. al., I have a question regarding a specific situation. Heading to black bear country next week (kind of a surprise trip). For various logistical reasons, my Shockwave is going with me for both bear protection in the back country and on the road as well. Also will be bringing a pistol. Two questions.

1. What load for the Shockwave? My main choices are Federal low recoil FC 8 pellet 00; Federal low recoil slugs; Federal 9 pellet 00 full power. Note that I do not have a ton of rounds through the Shockwave so there is that to consider in terms of getting good hits on a bear.

2. What pistol? The lone .40 in the stable is a G35 which I will tote if the consensus here is that the extra penetration is worth the extra size and weight. Other options are G26, G19X, or the G35 with a KKM 9mm barrel. Load for the 9mm would be Federal HST (unless FMJ for penetration would be better). I am pretty sure I can tolerate the G35 AIWB for the 20 hour round trip driving, but the G26 would be a bit more accommodating.

I am not super freaked out by the prospect of bumping into a black bear, but bears are something that are new to me. I plan to hang my food away from camp, etc. The other thing I am contemplating that ya’ll might be able to help with is, would a “warning shot” for bears be a good idea if cicumstances permit? Also, do bears become more active at night? I know I could round a corner on a trail during the day and bump into one, but in terms of one wandering into camp at night, is that a pretty good possibility? Again, assuming I am not leaving food in camp and will do my cooking and eating elsewhere as well.

Thanks in advance.
    I agree with Clusterfrack that a long gun is called for. The abbreviated designs like the Shockwave pose considerable difficulty in handling, control and providing accurate fire at distance. In your case a 12-gauge would best be loaded with any of the Brenneke slugs, the THD being a really good option, for defense against bears in the remote likelihood that you'll actually need to fire a shot. If the need to shoot occurs, I would advise against a 'warning shot' since your time to react will arguably be very brief.

Personally, I am not a big fan of 'service calibers' (9mm, .38 Special, .40S&W, .357 SIG or Magnum, .45 ACP, etc.) when it comes to defense against bears of any sort since I believe them to be a bit 'light' for the role. Of course, if that is all that you have at your disposal, then loading the heaviest practical weight, hardcast flat-nose projectile that you can lay hands on is probably the best that you can do. However, if you can, opting for a revolver in .44-caliber or 45-caliber, launching a hardcast flat-point with a large meplat weighing between 250 - 350 grains at 950 fps - 1,250 fps is probably the best handgun option available when pepper-spray just won't do.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 04-13-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Bears are mostly active at sunrise and sunset and they don't want any more to do with you that you want to do with them. They will smell you coming and get out of your way.
    Right up until the moment one doesn’t. The same can be said about people, in that most want noting to do with you, but there are those that prey on others.

It’s pretty safe to say that most are on PF to learn and discuss the skills and knowledge to prepare for predators, regardless of how many legs.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-13-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Yeah, I realize the Shockwave is sub-optimal, but that is the highest profile gun I am willing to carry on this. I am not going terribly far into the backcountry and thus am far more likely to encounter other hikers and Rangers than an angry bear. Plus, I don't want to be "That Guy" and I don't want to look like I am hoping for trouble - so Shockwave it is. (The Shockwave will be concealed in my pack on the trail and will really only see daylight whilst in camp. And for the pistola, yeah, I have what I have to work with and that be it. Kinda leaning toward the G35 with X300U mounted. Got some 180 bonded boolits to stoke it with.

I will be refreshing my memory on Best Practices for Bear Country over the next day or so (will be in the woods this wednesday evening), but if ya'll have any more pro-tips, send 'em, please. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Yeah, I realize the Shockwave is sub-optimal, but that is the highest profile gun I am willing to carry on this. I am not going terribly far into the backcountry and thus am far more likely to encounter other hikers and Rangers than an angry bear. Plus, I don't want to be "That Guy" and I don't want to look like I am hoping for trouble - so Shockwave it is. (The Shockwave will be concealed in my pack on the trail and will really only see daylight whilst in camp. And for the pistola, yeah, I have what I have to work with and that be it. Kinda leaning toward the G35 with X300U mounted. Got some 180 bonded boolits to stoke it with.

I will be refreshing my memory on Best Practices for Bear Country over the next day or so (will be in the woods this wednesday evening), but if ya'll have any more pro-tips, send 'em, please. Thanks.
    Well, then, when you see this―

Name:  larson1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  46.6 KB

―you'll know that you've prepared as best you can.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Right up until the moment one doesn’t. The same can be said about people, in that most want noting to do with you, but there are those that prey on others.

It’s pretty safe to say that most are on PF to learn and discuss the skills and knowledge to prepare for predators, regardless of how many legs.
    Agreed. In the lower 48 the threat scale is People / Tweekers > Bears.

Re: Best practices for bears. Think of things like securing food etc to be MUC for bears and it makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have spent a lot of time in black bear country. If you are packing in or making any mileage while hiking, a handgun is sufficient.

I have a different threat assessment then lots of folks on PF. I have often and while again go unarmed in backcountry wilderness areas. Grizzly country would be different.

Not the choice for everyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I actually live someplace where we have bears*, a lot of them. We have issues with them wandering into town, breaking into people's houses looking for food and raiding dumpsters in the middle of downtown every year. What we don't have, or at least very rarely is issues with them attacking people.

I've run into bears numerous times in the woods around Colorado Springs and based on my actual experience I have yet to need anything stronger than a can of UDAP.

Because the odds of being attacked by a black bear are extremely low I wouldn't (and don't) carry a long gun specifically for bears when I'm in the woods.

I still think a good can of bear spray is going to be all you're realistically ever going to need but if I were going to reccomend gun specifically for bear defense it would be a handgun that I could wear on my belt around camp rather than lugging a long gun around with me. If I were to carry a long gun it would be a carbine in .357, .44 or 30-30.

* I lived in Florida for several years and I'm aware that they do have black bears down there but not nearly in the numbers that we have them in Colorado.
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.

User Tag List