Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon Pistol Mounted RDS???

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Would you be surprised to find out that the majority of shooters don’t maintain a log of how many rounds they shoot? I know I never do/have...
    I know I don't maintain a log. I just look at how many rounds I have purchased and divide it by two because I shoot PCC and CO pretty much evenly. Even when I practice. Its surprising when I looked at just the TPC classes I took last year and the round count was 3,000 PCC and 5,500 CO.

You would think with all those classes, I would be a better shooter.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    They’ve spent over 2 years on development (Will Petty worked on the project and reported 2 years he’s been helping). Trijicon is also distributed by United Sporting Companies (conglomerate of several FFL distributors), RSR Group, Lipsey’s, and many others I can’t remember. Aimpoint, to my knowledge, is not. Availability is another major issue. Aimpoint seems to focus more on LE/MIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish they'd just translate the programming to the RMR. Manual setting lockout should have in the type 2. Top load battery isn't a big deal to me if it lasts over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Wish they'd just translate the programming to the RMR. Manual setting lockout should have in the type 2. Top load battery isn't a big deal to me if it lasts over a year.

Patience. It should be coming. I think they knew that they needed a large windowed mrds to compete with the others. And since the rmr2 has won a large contract and is a damn good optic they did not want to cut the sales of it or the sales of the Sro.

I know some really hate the auto. But it takes seconds to avoid having to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post

Sorry if this was posted. There are a lot mrds threads going on. I have been off the whole weekend.

I think the SRO looks awesome and the ACRO looks like a Lego Block.

But then, I like curves on things and not straight lines. So...I might be biased.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

But then, I like curves on things and not straight lines. So...I might be biased.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Not a Taylor Swift fan, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Not a Taylor Swift fan, eh?
    Indeed.

I'm more of an Adele kind of guy.

Hmmmm. Data. I seem to recall a paper being released by a large West Coast LE agency about 5 years ago which discussed their half-decade of slide-mounted pistol RDS testing that stated:

"After evaluating the available mini-RDS options, the Trijicon RMR was selected as the primary optic for testing. In early 2010, six RMR02 8MOA sights with 4 digit SN’s were installed on the milled slides of four Glock 9mm’s and 2 M&P45’s. These six original RMR02’s each fired in excess of 10,000 rounds with no RDS failures over 3 years. One battery was changed after 33 months of continuous use, one battery was changed after 36 months of use, and three batteries were still working at 39 months of use. One of these initial RMR02’s broke after 5 years of service and about 15,000 rounds and was quickly replaced by Trijicon. The other five original RMR02’s are still in service, although all are now on their second battery. These RMR02’s were carried daily, including use in rain, snow, sub-zero temperatures, and 100 degree heat. Adding a small amount of electrical insulating tape between the battery and the slide to protect the battery contacts on the RMR from touching the slide metal is prudent to prevent premature battery failure. The use of the Trijicon RM63 mount sealing plate is also wise.

In early 2011, twelve adjustable intensity RMR-A’s (RMR06 & RMR07) were mounted on 9 mm Glocks and M&P45’s and added to the testing. Six additional RMR-A’s were also mounted on the slides of various other pistol types. All 18 of this second group of RMR’s had 5 digit SN’s. The adjustment pads on the early RMR-A's were very sensitive to even slight touch. Several individuals with RMR-A's on duty pistols found that the right side dimmer switch would frequently get hit while the pistol was in the holster (modified 6280's/6004's, RCS Phantoms, Comp Tac Belt Holsters) causing the red dot to be too dim. This occurred just sitting in cars bumping against the seat belt buckle, getting jostled when going through shoot houses, and with general pistol manipulations. The advent of holsters, like the Fricke Michael and the Safariland 6354DO, that protect the RDS seems to have nearly eliminated this issue. Several of this second group of RMR-A’s had trouble holding windage--typically moving 8-10 clicks clockwise over a few hundred rounds of shooting. Painting witness marks allowed a quick visual indicator to identify if this occurred. Nail polish was used by some shooters to lock the windage screw down. Trijicon rapidly fixed these problems. More seriously, when mounted on handgun slides, the second group of RMR-A’s experienced frequent premature electronic failure. Unlike the original RMR02’s, NONE of the second group of RMR-A’s lasted beyond 5000 rounds and quite a few failed under 2000 rounds. Trijicon immediately repaired each failed optic. After the initial 3 year study ended, Trijicon eventually identified the failure points and instituted engineering changes to increase robustness and durability of the RMR-A’s."

Personally, I have one RMR06 that is at 18,000 rounds, three at 9-12,000 rounds, half-dozen sitting at 5000-9000 rounds, and two under 3000 rounds. Several of these RMR's failed early (under 2000 rounds) and were repaired by Trijicon--the reported round counts are all post-repair.

In shooting handgun mounted first gen RMR's for nearly a decade now, it appears that 1/3 or so will break under 2000 rounds, another third will go about 5-8000 rounds, and a third seem to have no problems exceeding 10,000 rounds. We have done no long-term official testing on the second gen RMR's. As always, YMMV....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

What do most people think a acceptable failure round count should be on a rds? And does the type of use change what we think is acceptable? Say a gamer/Leo/mil/ccw?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Gamers have no penalty for optic failure besides mild frustration and a possibly lower score.

The others are life and death situations. Obviously you should be able to overcome a failure (with BUIS) but I’m willing to pay for the best, which by nearly all accounts seems to be the RMR.

Using, for example, a FastFire is like towing with a gas engine. It’s probably fine *today* but won’t last as long as a diesel.

User Tag List