Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon Pistol Mounted RDS???

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    I sent an email to NickDrak last Fri. for a torque driver rec. but never heard back so thx. both of ya'll for those recs.
    Sorry man! I didn’t see any emails from you?

This is what I use: Wiha 28595 Torque Screwdriver and Bits Box Set 10-50 in-lbs., 53 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9W54G..._PtSDDb66W86C6
    Last edited by NickDrak; 09-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    Sorry man! I didn’t see any emails from you?

This is what I use: Wiha 28595 Torque Screwdriver and Bits Box Set 10-50 in-lbs., 53 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9W54G..._PtSDDb66W86C6
    All good bro, had a comcast add. from 2010ish? after you modded a SF X300 tail cap switch for me, thx for the reply & hope all's good @ CirPD.

Second SRO down - electronics

I have two 2.5 MOA SROs and two 5 MOA SROs.
    Out of the box, one of the 2.5 MOA SROs had to go back to Trijicon for replacement because the auto-adjust simply did not exist. Replacement works.
    None of the SROs has more than 1,000 rounds under it, all on well milled Glock 17 Gen5s.
    Today during an informal tactical training session (i.e. someone else decides your drills and surprises, friendly competition, etc.), one of the 5 MOA SROs started intermittently shutting off and coming back on at different brightness levels during strings of fire.
    Positive: Good practice pressing on with the Trijicon BUIS.
    Negative: Fucking SRO. . . .
    While the SRO is the best red dot I've tried so far for shooting (vs. RMR, 507C, DP Pro, Docter, Shield RMS), I have a 50% return rate thus far, and haven't even gotten to 1,000 rounds on any one of them. Granted, one was a return right out of the box. Intermittent dot failure is insidious.
    My conclusion is that for my needs, the SRO's auto-adjust mode is useless. Gotta set manually.
    RMR T2 auto-adjust works, but the usable window above the BUIS is tiny and not nearly as usable as the SRO's window.
    So far, I have not had 100% reliability with any PMOS. Closest has been RMR T2. Had to return one after first range session because window covering emitter fell off. Replacement and other RMR T2s have been fine. Not so much fun to shoot though.

Wish I could get as good visual feedback with plain old iron sights as I get from a good red dot, but especially when I'm wearing contact lenses rather than glasses, irons just keep looking worse and worse. . . .

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don’t understand why any optic has auto adjust or the sleep on/off thing. Convenience? I’d rather just turn it on and leave it. Going from a daytime to a nighttime setting has never been an issue for me with the Aimpoint on my work rifle neither has tracking a battery replacement schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I don’t understand why any optic has auto adjust or the sleep on/off thing. Convenience? I’d rather just turn it on and leave it. Going from a daytime to a nighttime setting has never been an issue for me with the Aimpoint on my work rifle neither has tracking a battery replacement schedule.
    It might have actually made sense on the ACRO with its mustard seed battery.

If the ACRO has any of the auto features I wouldn’t have bought one. PM monthly battery chances (while not ideal) are a non issue.

Doesn’t an auto feature significantly increase SRO battery life, by reducing dot intensity at night and when the pistol is otherwise in a dark place.

Leupold approached this differently, by maintaining manual adjustment of dot intensity, but reducing battery consumption with a sleep mode and auto wake.

If the Acro had a robust sleep mode, we probably wouldn’t be discussing its battery life.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Battery saving measures and dot optimization

Truly functional auto-adjust would be quite useful both for battery conservation and dot optimization for duty/defensive use. The fact is different lighting conditions dictate different brightness levels for optimal visibility (bright enough for quick pickup without too much blooming/flaring). Setting and forgetting at a particular brightness level will always be a compromise that at worst can result in no dot in bright conditions and target area occlusion in low light. No one can be expected to adjust dot brightness during pistol range combat conditions, or even during a match where ambient lighting could change (direct sunlight and shadows or a covered/indoor portion within a stage).

Ideally, auto-adjust would:
    1) be smooth like the shield/jpoints, not discrete levels like modern RMRs
    2) adjust effectively to any kind of light
    3) take its cues from downrange conditions, not above, to increase effectiveness with WMLs
    4) have multiple "curves" to choose from (like one of the later Docter models does), as everyone's eyes are different and some will want a brighter or dimmer curve
    5) always work, no electronic snafus

Of course, nothing yet combines all of the above.

Similarly, sensitive sleep mode that always works and never messes up has no downside and extends battery life.

Then go ahead and include lens and frame size and shape of SRO but with subtle as possible reshaping to achieve rmr cat ear effect for durability, use rmr footprint, and somehow enclose the emitter without creating a mailbox.

If selectable dot/circle-dot sizes can added with no decrease in reliability, go for it.

And charge under $500 MSRP, made in USA with the utmost in quality control. . . .

Easy enough?

^^^ Not sure if we'll ever see an optic that can detect and adjust to downrange light... I don't see how it would be mechanically achieved.
    The best I can imagine would be a wireless connection with the WML that would increase the dot intensity when the light was activated.

User Tag List