Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon Pistol Mounted RDS???

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    ^^^ Not sure if we'll ever see an optic that can detect and adjust to downrange light... I don't see how it would be mechanically achieved.
    The best I can imagine would be a wireless connection with the WML that would increase the dot intensity when the light was activated.
    Why do you need wireless? Seems pretty straightforward: put a photosensor of whatever type on the optic pointed downrange. Alternatively, put the sensor on the user's side of the optic, embedded in or near the BUIS also pointed downrange, so you can adjust what the user is actually seeing.

From another standpoint, you are adding even more electronics (and possibly software) onto a package that is trying to optimize size, power consumption, and robustness already.

I'd settle for wireless charging.
    Set your pistol down on the wireless charging pad on the nightstand and start every day with 100% battery.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Older Docter optics had photo sensor on the front of the base. In my experience it did a better job of adjusting off of downrange light (i.e. what the shooter's eyes are looking at) than the RMR/SRO that I believe detects light through the emitter window, which is shaded from downrange light by the sight body. The Docter arrangement was problematic however in that if you wanted to mill it deep into a slide, the slide would cover the photo sensor unless you scooped out a divot in the slide to keep it exposed. While it worked I believe it was less efficient. Optimum placement for the photo sensor might be the top center of the frame, facing downrange. But of course that may introduce durability issues. Could also disrupt auto-adjust function should the sensor get dirty/occluded. That happens with any auto-adjust optic, but is a moot point if the photo sensor is behind the emitter window (thereby occluded sensor = occluded dot anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by ADK View Post
    Truly functional auto-adjust would be quite useful both for battery conservation and dot optimization for duty/defensive use. The fact is different lighting conditions dictate different brightness levels for optimal visibility (bright enough for quick pickup without too much blooming/flaring). Setting and forgetting at a particular brightness level will always be a compromise that at worst can result in no dot in bright conditions and target area occlusion in low light. No one can be expected to adjust dot brightness during pistol range combat conditions, or even during a match where ambient lighting could change (direct sunlight and shadows or a covered/indoor portion within a stage).

Ideally, auto-adjust would:
    1) be smooth like the shield/jpoints, not discrete levels like modern RMRs
    2) adjust effectively to any kind of light
    3) take its cues from downrange conditions, not above, to increase effectiveness with WMLs
    4) have multiple "curves" to choose from (like one of the later Docter models does), as everyone's eyes are different and some will want a brighter or dimmer curve
    5) always work, no electronic snafus

Of course, nothing yet combines all of the above.

Similarly, sensitive sleep mode that always works and never messes up has no downside and extends battery life.

Then go ahead and include lens and frame size and shape of SRO but with subtle as possible reshaping to achieve rmr cat ear effect for durability, use rmr footprint, and somehow enclose the emitter without creating a mailbox.

If selectable dot/circle-dot sizes can added with no decrease in reliability, go for it.

And charge under $500 MSRP, made in USA with the utmost in quality control. . . .

Easy enough?
    And EMP hardening so a Chinese nuke doesn’t fry our optics for slaying their invading troops.

Just had an interesting observation with the SRO. Shot three days straight outside in an area that can produce a lot of dust. Fortunately, it wasn't as windy as it could have been but on day two there was some wind. At some point I started to notice secondary projections on the screen. First, I saw a small second dot @ 11, and later a a thin line on the top, almost looked similar to how laser beam looks when you project it in a dusty air.

I could only see those with the optic grossly misaligned with the target (only noticed it at the safety table when I was cleaning the glass). I dusted off the glass and emitter window at home and everything went away. I figured that the light beam was reflecting off the dust micro-particles. Never seen that with RMR or DPP though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

stumbled across these from another post somewhere , thought I'd share.
    I bought two of these, they are solid and fit perfectly. a little steep for covers IMO but I don't like leaving my optics uncovered when not in my holster
    https://rangepanda.com/collections/d...con-sro-covers

Mine doesn't stay on well. I lost and found it three times during the Nats alone.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Pre-use impressions of the SRO...

https://www.vdmsr.com/2019/10/trijic...pressions.html
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 10-24-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I've seen some conflicting reports.

I'm 3 months into waiting for a holster (SA-6390RDS-2222-761), but am not sure if it is going to work for my application. Despite the wait, I can cancel and go bark up a different tree (i.e. wait around for Safariland to make a different holster). Can anyone confirm that the 6390RDS will accommodate an SRO on a full size (4.25") M&P 2.0 in 9mm?

User Tag List