Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jump-qualified SWAT team? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I was on SWAT for fifteen years. We got pretty good at skid riding on our MD 500s. Our justification was moving small team elements from one side of the city to the other or deploying onto the roofs of tall buildings. No one ever mentioned parachuting. I don’t see the need for it.
    Ever deploy the dog from an MD500? Attack, or to search the inside of a building from the top down?

Brings a new meaning to the phrase "fur missile".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ever deploy the dog from an MD500? Attack, or to search the inside of a building from the top down?

Brings a new meaning to the phrase "fur missile".
    We’ve trained our dogs to ride in the helicopter. I’ve seen videos of dogs deployed from helicopters but we’ve never done that.

It was either to get a team up top to search down or deploy snipers.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I recall have seen mention several times that, at one point, the Alaska State Troopers considered making their SRT airborne capable. Probably the only state in the union that could make a good argument for it.

If the Netflix documentary "Murder Mountain" is at all accurate, I could maybe see some use for airborne SWAT in the Emerald Triangle. But I don't think those small departments could afford it...

I thought this was a joke. What a fucking waste of taxpayer money LARPIng.
    #RESIST

There are law enforcement organizations that need this capability. This county sheriff's office probably isn't one of them. Per Wikipedia, the whole county's 795 square miles, with a population density of 547+ per square mile. That's the most populous county in the state of South Carolina (again, Wikipedia). By the time you get them briefed, rigged, into the air, and out the door, you could have driven there.

250,000 dollar office furnurture sets and airborne (can we blouse our trousers now?) training for cops. Same, same. Nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by K.O.A.M. View Post
    There are law enforcement organizations that need this capability.
    Which one?

I get the arguments either way. As being the guy in charge of training, I utilized or leveraged metrics constantly to get my guys all that I could.

Dept wants to be a Tri-Arc Calea certified agency? Is it bullshit? Who cares, so be it, and btw I need XYZ for a full-time tactical unit. You got it.

We are a full-time unit of over 50 guys that is NTOA certified and you want to be a "Tier 1" NTOA team, sure I can do that, again I need XYZ. We far exceeded that NTOA standard and that got my guys a lot of training and a lot of equipment.

Yes Sir, you want to be a FEMA type 1 team? Sure I can do that for you, we again need XYZ, and we did it.

My agency is a long way from nowhere with many MOA's in place for State, Fed facilities, Military bases, etc as a primary response for HRT and other situations, so the money was spent to ensure we had things covered. Are some things a bit far out there? Sure, I have yet to FAST rope into a live situation, put on SCBA for a water insertion, etc. Rappel, static line, skid light, dogs and helo, sure thing. They were options available only because we had trained them.

So perhaps some smaller agencies might put resources elsewhere, but if it is there, take it, sometimes training opportunities are unique to a certain discipline being offered. Might I want something else but if Joes jump school is offering special training at a special price, it is it legit, go for it. I sure as hell took all I could from the bean counters and leveraged every option to make it happen for my guys. Bearcat, command Vehicle, bomb truck, additional helo, training unprecedented for a local agency, sure thing. I don't feel the least bit questionable about any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Which one?
    FBI's HRT, USCG, maybe USBP's BORTAC.

User Tag List