Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jump-qualified SWAT team? Why?

I think I remember a CHiPs episode where they parachuted in to save the day so obviously having ParaCops has real world potential

Site Supporter
    This is why we can’t have nice things. Talk about a waste of time and money.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Not sure about the cost on a Cessna 182 but I say sell that bitch and buy another Huey, or sell it and the Kiowa and buy two, (because DOC says we need three, training, carry, and spare and that is just sound advice) but hey that's probably not sexy enough.
    The cost difference between a Cessna 182 and a Bell 204/5 (single-engine) is eye-watering. So is the per-hour cost. You'd need to sell a fleet of Cessnas to buy an equivalent Bell 204/5. If you want a later UH-1 equivalent, then you're probably looking at a Bell 214.

Helicopters are expensive.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The cost difference between a Cessna 182 and a Bell 204/5 (single-engine) is eye-watering. So is the per-hour cost. You'd need to sell a fleet of Cessnas to buy an equivalent Bell 204/5. If you want a later UH-1 equivalent, then you're probably looking at a Bell 214.

I miss having nice things...

Name:  A3FAFEB3-A0A4-44C0-A443-D8F6470623F7.png
Views: 583
Size:  66.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I miss having nice things...

Name:  A3FAFEB3-A0A4-44C0-A443-D8F6470623F7.png
Views: 583
Size:  66.6 KB
    cue music...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Their justification is bullshit. It's just a week of masturbation on the taxpayers' dime.
    I can't like this post enough. If I were a taxpayer in that jurisdiction, I'd be furious.

It doesn’t take much googling of “Greenville County Sheriff” to see he is already out the door on account of several indictments and has been replaced by an interim.

I was on SWAT for fifteen years. We got pretty good at skid riding on our MD 500s. Our justification was moving small team elements from one side of the city to the other or deploying onto the roofs of tall buildings. No one ever mentioned parachuting. I don’t see the need for it.

Although I did ask our LT if I could attended a week long maritime assault class in New Orleans because we have man made lakes in our city. He laughed at my justification. No New Orleans vacation for CF97 that year. Curses foiled again LOL.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Official training video

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

A lot of departments started their air programs with cheap/free surplus, hence the prevalence of OH-58s where I live. One department here got enough of them that they have spares to cannibalize for parts. There is still a hefty operating cost, but air support is good thing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List