Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jump-qualified SWAT team? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    My first thought was really? Not the joint training aspect but the joint jump part. Well, from ODMP:

Police Officer Keith Tadashi Hashimoto
    Reno Police Department, Nevada
    End of Watch Friday, March 29, 1996

Officer Keith Hashimoto was killed during a training accident at Fallon Naval Air Station.

Officer Hashimoto and other members of the department were conducting a joint training exercise with a team of Navy SEALs when his parachute failed to open during a jump. He was pronounced dead upon arrival of rescue units.

Officer Hashimito had served with the agency for 7 years.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/14742-p...ashi-hashimoto
    Well, to be fair, these things happen. I was on site when a SEAL died when his chute failed to deploy properly and he either didn't or couldn't jettison it before deploying his reserve chute with fatal consequences.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In addition to the NTOA standards, DHS / FEMA classifies LE Tactical teams (and other LE resources) as “Type” 1-4 based on their personnel, training and equipment.

https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...urces_2007.pdf

If you look at page 21/22 of the document linked above, there is a category for “ insertion capabilities.” Type 1 and 2 teams have a requirement for “Air mobile capabilities including FAST rope and rappel” but there is is no specific mention of parachute capability.

For those wondering why DHS/FEMA has standards for LE resources, it is described below but in plain English, you don’t wait until a disaster to coordinate mutual aid.

https://www.fema.gov/media-library/a...ocuments/25901
    That is very interesting information. I appreciate the links.

I am not sure it answers my original question. How is the capability being claimed validated? Is it through self-reporting or through an external process? In either case, what is the frequency that the determination is made?
    Last edited by Kevin B.; 04-13-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Apologies for taking the thread down a tangent, but how are the NTOA standards listed validated? Is there some sort of independent accreditation/certification process or does the Sheriff/Chief unilaterally determine the status of the team? If there is an accreditation/certification process, who conducts it and what is the frequency?
    From the NTOA standards:

The objective of this document is to establish a basic set of standards for the association’s member agencies and to serve as an efficient core set of concepts and principles that improve standardization within the profession of tactical law enforcement services. Any agency that chooses to use this standard as a benchmark for performance and operations does so voluntarily. The NTOA does not mandate compliance with this standard or attach such compliance as a prerequisite for any benefit granted under membership.

Yes. I saw that. My question was more along the lines of, if an agency/organization voluntarily chose to use the NTOA standard, who assessed whether they actually met the standard and with what frequency?

I assume the answer is no one.

Apologies again for the inquiry.
    C Class shooter.

Site Supporter
    Yes. I saw that. My question was more along the lines of, if an agency/organization voluntarily chose to use the NTOA standard, who assessed whether they actually met the standard and with what frequency?

I know someone I can ask next week.

Thanks. I reached out to a few people as well.
    C Class shooter.

I will say, admitting a personal prejudice, that there's a certain beauty to the concept of pigs flying...

Name:  602508.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  26.3 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

As far as I know, there’s no one from the outside checking. It’s purely voluntary standards in an attempt to standardize across the country.

I have an individual membership to NTOA, and my department has an agency membership. We’ve never been asked if we’re following their standards.

A few years ago, you could pay to have NTOA come and evaluate your team and make suggestions, but I don’t see that as an option on their website anymore.
    Last edited by TC215; 04-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    As far as I know, there’s no one from the outside checking. It’s purely voluntary standards in an attempt to standardize across the country.

I have an individual membership to NTOA, and my department has an agency membership. We’ve never been asked if we’re following their standards.

At few years ago, you could pay to have NTOA come and evaluate your team and make suggestions, but I don’t see that as an option on their website anymore.
    Very helpful. Thanks.
    C Class shooter.

Site Supporter
    I think I'd be more supportive if the Sheriff had just said, "The boys have worked hard, and we wanted to reward them with something fun."

The justification given in the article, however, was pathetic. The idea of parachuting in large numbers of folks to establish law and order, vs. air landing them instead, doesn't pass the common sense test. I can visualize situations that might not be easily reachable by rotary wing where inserting some folks by parachute might make sense -- for example, to reopen fixed wing runways, or provide navigational assistance for cargo drops, but I'm fairly certain that DOD isn't going to ask a county agency's five-jump chumps to fill in for Air Force STS or Army Pathfinders. And the National Guard can in fact do law enforcement, as long as they're under state control or Title 32.

If FEMA is funding this boondoggle, I'm disappointed.
    Last edited by Dave J; 04-13-2019 at 04:27 PM.

User Tag List