Thread: Smith and Wesson 325 Thunder Ranch

Smith and Wesson 325 Thunder Ranch

So last week I not only bought my first wheelie boi but also my first .45 ACP... and I feel like I discovered some sort of lost holy grail of weaponry. I’ve owned, carried and competed with 9mm semi autos my whole adult life and while my Langdon Tactical Elite 92 is going to remain my primary carry and comp gun, I have to admit, there’s something about revolvers that is just exceedingly fun.

I’ve always liked revolvers; my dad carried a nickel M27 for a few years as a beat cop and I always loved shooting that gun as a kid. I’ve always looked at them as the quintessential woods gun, which is really what I’ve always wanted one for. I’ve always wanted something a little more “traditional” to tool around our hunt club with and carry when I’m in some of the more rural areas of Florida.

I’m a full time firefighter that works some off days at a local gun shop (bad idea) and a few months ago we received a Smith and Wesson 325 Thunder Ranch. I saw the gun sitting in the case one day when I came in and thought to my self “well that’s pretty damn cool,” but what I really wanted was a Performance Center 627 with the slab sided 4” barrel.

For starters... I didn’t know the rich pedigree and history behind .45 ACP revolvers, I always thought it was just some cool option that Smith and Wesson offered for crusty old guys who simultaneously loved .45 ACP and hated semi autos. Well then I watched India Jones for the first time since I was about 14 and realized he carried an M1917..... then I watched the highwaymen and Kevin Costner bought an M1917... then I did some research on the M1917 and then finally a few days later I came into work and saw that 325 PD was still in the case.... I figured it’s what Indiana Jones and Frank Hamer would carry in the 21st century and when I was offered the gun at slightly above dealer cost the rest is history.

It wasn’t, however, a strictly emotional purchase. Here’s some observations from my first week of ownership...

- I figure .45 ACP is adequate for anything I’m going to encounter (two or four legged) in the south east, and likely even in the lower 48, especially when loaded with offerings like Underwood’s 255gr Hard Cast Flat Nose

- The gun weighs about the same as my G19 so carry shouldn’t be a problem.

- While low capacity by today’s standards, the moon clips make this thing surprisingly practical. With minimal practice I’ve become fairly quick with reloads.

- It’s stupid accurate and stupid fun to shoot. The DA pull is also phenomenal right out of the box and the gold bead front sight is very fast to pick up.

I’ve already ordered some Speed Beez moon clip holders and a Safariland OWB Holster for competition, a leather holster and moon clip holders from Simply Rugged for BBQ’s and I’m looking for a good Kydex rig right now for woods carry. I also e mailed Tactical Tailor to see if they could make me some nylon moon clip holders. The only nylon options I’ve been able to find were from uncle mikes, which I wouldn’t be caught dead with one of their products on me.

Replaced the rubber Hogues with some Predator Green VZ Square Bottoms in their “Cyclone” pattern. I wanted something grippy that wouldn’t tear up my stomach and shirts when carried AIWB and I think this pattern might be the ticket.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Nice!

New to wheelies, eh? Take an seat and let's discuss the Gospel of 3" K-frames.....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Nice!

New to wheelies, eh? Take an seat and let's discuss the Gospel of 3" K-frames.....
    A 66 combat magnum is also high up on my list of wants lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I recently picked up a 4 inch 625 JM. Got it home and realized the barrel was canted and I couldn't hit shit with it. Luckily it should be back in my hands Tuesday. What is the recoil impulse like? The 625 was... interesting.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    A 66 combat magnum is also high up on my list of wants lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A 3” 13/64/65 should also be, if you can stand fixed sights. IMO, most .357 ammo needs 4” or longer barrels to make a ballistic difference. (There are .357 short-barrel loads.)

I don’t enjoy shooting .357s from a K-frame. But they are pure fun out of a 6” N frame.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Very nice find.

N frames are big but not impossible to carry. I carried a 4" Redhawk for about a year in a Kramer horsehide scabbard. It was heavy but my shoulders are wide enough and waist narrow enough that printing was never a problem in liberal New England.

His horsehide is almost kydex like. I've had to take it swimming a couple times too.

That safariland holster you got will probably do you just fine for woods carry instead of ordering a kydex holster. I have a k frame one with a mid drop and it's a phenomenal holster for $40.

I think the heavy hard cast you mentioned or from Buffalo Bore will be perfect for woods use if you don't reload.

I would be hesitant to use soft nylon pouches for moon clips just because the possibility of them bending.

Those grips look perfect on that gun too and should be pretty fitting for bumming around the Florida swamps.

Congrats

Site Supporter
    Seeing your post, motivated me to take out my 22-4 thunder ranch today. It's a fun gun to shoot! I have Iwb holster but don't carry it much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

User Tag List