Thread: Gray Man Cover Blown

Gray Man Cover Blown

Flying to a course today. Get to the airport, young woman helping with the check-in kiosks asks if I am checking a bag. I say yes, and add quietly that it includes a firearm in a locked case so there’s other things we have to do. It’s a small, quiet airport and there were’t too many people around, but she says very loudly to the woman at the check-in counter 20 feet away “Gentleman has a firearm.”

Me, quietly: “It may not be the VERY best idea to announce that in a loud voice.”
    Young airline woman: “It’s okay, they just have to know that at the counter because it’s a special procedure.”
    Me: “It may not be the best to idea to ANNOUNCE that someone has a firearm, you see what I’m saying?”
    Young airline woman: “Oh, yes, I see what you mean, thank you."

It’s a treat to encounter an agent that doesn’t act like it is the first time they have encountered a checked firearm.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    It’s a treat to encounter an agent that doesn’t act like it is the first time they have encountered a checked firearm.
    Yup. Last time I flew with a firearm (long run in the ubiquitous pelican case with master locks on it) was out of Nashville via Southwest. It was almost a pleasant experience. I walked up to the counter, the agent looked at the case and just asked me, "Checking a firearm?" Had me fill out the card/form, asked me if I was traveling with any ammo, then just told me to hang around the counter for 15-20 minutes in case there were any issues. About the easiest, most painless process I've had flying in the last couple years.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List